kieranperez

2 Domains of Mastery as 1?

8 posts in this topic

Right now I'm trying to articulate my domain of mastery however I'm pretty much stuck at 2 different domains of mastery: 

Consciousness/Enlightenment Work & Running

I want to pursue both full on. At the end of the day I miss running but I want to mastery this domain called consciousness work by the time I die more than running but I also want to master running too and I don't think these things have to conflict with each other. I mean, Ralston (who, yes he may be an outlier I guess) pursued both Truth/Consciousness/Enlightenment & Martial Arts relentlessly hard. 

Is this okay?

I think sports and consciousness work go hand in hand very well. 

It's sitting on your ass and procrastinating that's the enemy. Not living healthy. 

Running is quite meditative. 

Martial Arts....if you ask me there is a lot of truth found to be found in martial arts. 

If you don't look for the truth in Martial Arts you are going to get seriously hurt. There is very little forgiveness for self-deception. 

5 minutes ago, SFRL said:

Running is quite meditative. 

Depends on how hard you're running and training ;) run a hundred miler covering 10,15,20, 25, 30,000 feet of uphill and downhill in the mountains and I don't see most people hitting that point of feeling quite meditative LOL that'll come with years of mastery. 

But yeah, I see them going hand in hand but also, I love them both. I miss running at the end of the day. I don't really have any races I yearn for or anything and haven't felt like racing in quite some time. I just want to run again and I want to do it well.  I also want to know the Truth and understand mind, self, another, Love, what everything is and so on. I don't want to coach as I'm not really someone that likes to manage people. Not a strength nor interest I have.

18 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Why do you like running?

Because I do. 

@kieranperez You can combine things / turn 2 things into 1 thing. However, the point of choosing only one thing is to have laser-like focus on what you're most passionate about. Are you actually passionate about consciousness? Are you actually passionate about running? Be honest. And how would focusing on both skills bring you success?

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

Read about monks from mountain Hiei. There is a book in Leo's booklist about them. They pretty much do marathons for enlightenment, it's kinda exactly what you're seeking :D

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

Read about monks from mountain Hiei. There is a book in Leo's booklist about them. They pretty much do marathons for enlightenment, it's kinda exactly what you're seeking :D

It's not. 

1. They're walking. They're not running.
  2. Their pursuit is solely enlightenment oriented.
  3. There's no real fitness goal or objective or mastery per say. 

You can do both, and one will synergyze with the other. I always liked the idea of working on both sides simultaneously. 

Consciousness work is realizing it is all a dream, but you still have to do your best in the dream, because you awake from the dream from the inside-out. Work on awareness + work on personal development, not one or the other. You can work on both and have a smooth transition between them in which will actually reinforce one another - become a "Spiritual Gangster". In the end, I guess the consciousness work goes deeper, but you can start working on both now, and as you get awesome results, skew towards the deeper truth. Work, expand, then contract and contemplate to correct your course.

Spiritual work is not a race, but a marathon, right? This notion of "if I don't drop the running right now I will be wasting time I could dedicate to consciousness work" is not very good. Over-doing consciousness work might actually trigger some backlashes and make you stuck. 

Take it easy, but keep questioning