Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roch

What makes people repulsed by weaboos?

12 posts in this topic

As someone who gets fascinated with foreign cultures I’ve always been terrified of being like a weaboo. Why do people hate them? Why are they weird to people? I know their intense obsession with anime and Japan repulses people. Why? Several years ago my obsession was Iceland. I got really into Bjork and other Icelandic music. Eventually I ended up learning Icelandic. I never got anywhere near fluent. I was so embarrassed about my obsession with Icelandic. Mainly because I knew it wasn’t a practical language to learn and I didn’t want to seem like a weaboo!

Right now my obsession is the Jews and I’m embarrassed for the same reason. Borat along with some Jew related synchronicities started that obsession. Right now I’m keeping quiet about it. I’m quietly learning Hebrew and listening to a shit-ton of Israeli music. I also like to watch Sacha Baron Cohen stuff. So scared of being like a weaboo. I probably won’t tell people about the Hebrew until I’m semi-fluent. Which I know will take awhile. I don’t care. I just don’t want to look like those weaboos. 

Obsessed with learning about learning about other cultures?

If that is not one of the most beautiful things in this world, then I don't know what is

Please link me a isreali song that you appreciate, I will indulge in some of this cultural interestbeing myself

Edited by Arkandeus

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

14 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Who is ”people”? 

Society in general and me. 

15 minutes ago, Arkandeus said:

Obsessed with learning about learning about other cultures?

If that is not one of the most beautiful things in this world, then I don't know what is

Please link me a isreali song that you appreciate, I will indulge in some of this cultural interestbeing myself

My favorite Israeli band. 

@Roch I dont have a problem with weabos, i didnt even know about it until you mentioned it, if you want to dress up like a japanese cat then go for it, screw what others think, you decide what you want your subjctive reality to be like 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Just taking a best guess, I think it mostly comes from people seeing other cultures as weird and a sense of tribalism. People may often think you should conform with the culture you are born in and getting into other cultures is being what you are not. Which they tend to shun those that don't act or behave like them.

Ugh. I’m failing so badly at hiding it. I’m just too obsessed with learning languages! So I joke about learning French and Arabic to hide that I’m learning Hebrew. I’ve been trying to use that energy more for actually studying and less for sharing it with people and torturing them. I don’t want to be like those weaboos who constantly talk about Japan. 

3 minutes ago, Strikr said:

Maybe I’ll learn French for real one day. I actually understand French better than Hebrew at the moment. I grew up speaking Spanish and studied French in school. 

@Roch  I am a Japanese otaku myself, but there are many types of otaku, you cannot really throw us all in one bag. Why people dont like SOME of them? They tend to be ethnocentric, pervert, annoying, obsessed, needy and unable to talk about normal topics with people... you dont really have to be an otaku to not be liked for these reasons though...