DMM710

Why is it so difficult for me to meditate for more than 20 minutes?

9 posts in this topic

I'm usually pretty good for like 10 minutes. After that point I start getting antsy and worried that I'm not doing it correctly. I've also switched between different meditation methods 1,000,000 times. I always feel like I'm not doing it right, which makes me think there's some better technique I should be doing. Could that be the issue? Maybe i'm just not giving a single technique enough time to master it? Also what technique do you guys find the most effective?

The issue is that you think there is a special technique that will "do it" for you.
Also, you think that you need "to do it right".

You need to drop those assumptions.

There is no special techniques, and there is nothing to do except being conscious.
It doesn't matter if you lost it, even for a few minutes, the point is to keep going, everyday, for the time you chose to sit.
It doesn't matter what technique you use, except if you're a beginner, because some techniques are too hard to maintain for a crazy monkey mind.

Just pick a technique you like and that resonates with you, then just do it for at least a whole month before switching to another one.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

15 minutes ago, DMM710 said:

I'm usually pretty good for like 10 minutes. After that point I start getting antsy and worried that I'm not doing it correctly. I've also switched between different meditation methods 1,000,000 times. I always feel like I'm not doing it right, which makes me think there's some better technique I should be doing. Could that be the issue? Maybe i'm just not giving a single technique enough time to master it? Also what technique do you guys find the most effective?

The fact you are getting antsy and worried shows that you aren't doing it enough.

Meditation isn't a complicated practice. 

With this kind of work you often come in expecting complicated intensive stuff and then it ends up being as simple as can be. 

Techniques are techniques. Any one of them will get you where you want to go.

At first the thoughts tend to get increasingly negative or distracting in another way. So recognize the thoughts, and realize they are not you.  If you'd like/feel like you're ready, keep doing this. None of the thoughts are you no matter how convincing .

Breath and mind are connected,so something like a 4-5 minute simple pranayama tech., prior to meditating,will make a difference. The pranayama slows and calms the mind and the meditation will go smoother.
 Also there's nothing wrong with taking a deep breath or two to release the tension if needed. Sitting like a rock unmoving is not necessary. If you need to adjust do it. Also go back and do less than 20 min. for a little while. Maybe 15 min. Then go back to 20 when you feel ready.
Stick to one method for awhile if you can. Doesn't matter if it's not perfect,the body-mind will adjust over time. It's like anything else. You weren't a master walker when first learning how to walk either.

Because as per this theory you are in Level-2 of Meditation.

Restlessness is a tool of mind that ends up keeping you from finding out who you are. The ego has many tricks up it's sleeve.

If you're feeling restless it means you are stirring up something correctly, double down and don't give up. It gets easier.

Edited by Elysian
Add

@DMM710 Let go of everything during meditation. Let go of techniques, resistance, resistance of resistance. Everything. Keep letting go.

There is nothing to do in meditation, stop trying to meditate, you cant rest if youre trying to rest. Imaging trying to sleep by tensing your body and telling your mind “Okay now, go! sleep! hey!” It doesnt happen. You just let go... let go... antsy! let go... 

Dont look at me! Look inside!