SriBhagwanYogi

Right way to do Self inquiry ?

10 posts in this topic

I ask questions like who am i or Rupert Spira’s Am i Aware , Neti neti method rly open minded and looking directly not logically. Then when there is nothing more to ask i stay in that noticing , awareness but confused dont know what to do next , can someone give me more guidlines or something tnx . “Doing” do nothing meditation and witnessing present moment without judgement gives m peace but self inquiry only frustation

Edited by SriBhagwanYogi

That is the point of self inquiry...to dissolve mind in its source(awareness):)

When you find it "rest"or be that

Edited by DecemberFlower

Ask, "Who am I?". If thoughts arise ask, "To whom do these thoughts arise?". The answer will be "Me". Then ask again, "Who am I?" and continue the process. This is what Ramana Maharshi taught. The more you self-enquire, the quicker you will experience the Self.

You already are the Self, and always have been, and will be.

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

The recommended technique is Ramana Maharshi's self-inquiry. It's very simple. You know that "I am" right now, right? It's obvious. Well, how do you know it? Where is that feeling coming from? Try to find out where in your experience it is coming from, that certainty that you are. Start in your body. Just like if someone asked you where you were feeling cold, and you searched your experience and said "Oh, my feet are feeling cold." In the same way, ask about the feeling of the "I" that you somehow know with certainty.

And every time you think you know where it's coming from, the rule is that you must ask yourself if you are aware of that thing which you think is the source of the I. If you are, you haven't found the real source yet. So you keep going

If, for example, you say "It's coming from my head" -- well, ask yourself "Well, I am aware of the feeling and sight of my head, right?" Notice that. So where is the "I" that is aware of the head? It's not coming from the head -- it is aware of it. So where is the I feeling? It's just like you notice that there is light in a room, and you're looking for the source of the light. Is it coming from this chair? No. The chair is lit up by something else. Is it coming from that table? Same deal. So keep searching until you find the light bulb. You'll know it when you find it.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Thank you guys English is not my first language . So self inquiry is most direct way , its frustrating for the mind but fck it I stopped gaming and watching tv for this stuff

20 minutes ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

I ask questions like who am i or Rupert Spira’s Am i Aware , Neti neti method rly open minded and looking directly not logically. Then when there is nothing more to ask i stay in that noticing , awareness but confused dont know what to do next , can someone give me more guidlines or something tnx . “Doing” do nothing meditation and witnessing present moment without judgement gives m peace but self inquiry only frustation

Thats one type of inquiry but then theres also a equally if not more valuable is questioning into why you do what you do.  Like why do I always freak out when I make a mistake, or why am I always trying to be right, or why do I think I'm a looser.  Important here is to be completely honest and then ask yourself do I need to remain this way or keep believing this or is this serving me well and if not what can I do differently.  Psychoanalysis of sorts.  However once you've come to the bottom of something a few times and worked through it via releasing the emotions associated, understood why theres the trauma, the energy still may surface and pull your attention.  Its important at that point to remain focused on the changes you said you were going to make in relation to these issues and not waste your time focusing on the issue itself anymore, because at this point old issues that your letting go will beg for attention and sometimes magnify temporarily craving the old attention you gave it when you just aced out of it in the past.

@SriBhagwanYogi  try where is this "I" within me? 

Whos the seeker?

try pin pointing this "I" 

think of the ego as a rock in a stream, the inquiry is the water, now over time the water will dissolve the rock ? Just might take months or years, good luck, there is also sds sits, they say it's a fast track way towards enlightenment, but they suck dick, I've done about 50 of them, but my kundalini energy is now opened up from them. 

Edited by Tony 845
Grammar

Rupert's inquiry  "Am I aware"?  is worth adding to the toolbox.
A somewhat more direct way of coming back into the space of being aware.

@Mu_ nice insight! This is something i have been wondering for some time: what is the relationship of shadow work to the direct path of asking "who am I".

After all, the thought "the earth revolves around the sun" has the same kind of existence (as in thought into/out from consciousness) as the though "I should not be *insert shadow*", but only one of those thoughts cause suffering. Why? Who is it who suffers from some thoughts but not from some other thoughts? Why is it so? Why we go trought these sneaky avoidance/ignorance strategies of some self concepts, but others we cherish and openly share? Who is judging the difference? 

Edited by molosku

@winterknight Did you find it are u awakend from self inquiry or something??  Thank you , i know that I am... and that my body , mind , feelings they all can be precived so before everything there is awareness I sometimes can stay in it with no thoughts.