John Iverson

My first Vipassana meditation 10 days retreat here in the Philippines..

18 posts in this topic

My 10 days meditation retreat will start tomorrow , To my Friends and my fellow actualizers, any message?  Or something??  

Is it okay to do my yoga routine there?

Edited by John Iverson

Prepare to be blissfully bored to death. B|

Dont look at me! Look inside!

3 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Prepare to be blissfully bored to death. B|

Oww maaaaan! Wooooooh!! It is like oliver queen when he was in island of purgtory hahahaha

1 minute ago, John Iverson said:

Oww maaaaan! Wooooooh!! It is like oliver queen when he was in island of purgtory hahahaha

hahah but you will feel so calm and happy when youre done :D 

i think.. ive never done it xD

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Follow the guidelines, to not do any other techniques, etc. Use only one pillow for meditation rather than to build a castle like some do because it will just distract you. Eat a lot of food. Get in sleep during breaks for instance, there is a longer one around lunch. Take with you a watch so you know when breaks are.

I just did one, yeah the feeling you get at the end of the retreat is sublime. Other than that though don't expect it to be anything it isn't, like super fun or super relaxing because it isn't really either of those.

I still did some kind of Hatha yoga in my Vipassana retreat to stretch my body, they were fine with it

I highly suggest to sneak up a journal and a pen! You'll probably have some great insights\epiphanies you'll want to write down. Probably take a few pens, not only one. I broke my pen in my retreat so I had to sneak\steal a public pen everytime I wanted to write something. I felt like I'm on some kind of stealth mission each time :ph34r: . But it was fun :D

Edited by Hello from Russia

5 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@John Iverson Journal it as much as possible, you might be glad you have it to refer back to. Hopefully not, too. Godspeed my man! 

Thanks @Nahm long time no reply to my posts haha! 

+1

@John Iverson You're a Filipino right? I'm asking because this is the first time I've encountered a fellow Filipino here in Leo's forum. I am planning to have a meditation retreat as well, in the near future. Please share your experiences when you get back from your retreat.

15 hours ago, Outer said:

Follow the guidelines, to not do any other techniques, etc. Use only one pillow for meditation rather than to build a castle like some do because it will just distract you. Eat a lot of food. Get in sleep during breaks for instance, there is a longer one around lunch. Take with you a watch so you know when breaks are.

I would disagree with the second part, although it just depends on people I guess, but for me eating lots of food definitly reduced the quality of my meditation, and same with sleeping during breaks, it made me want to sleep and harder to get back up compared to if I would stay awake all day

I would agree with no mixing any technique, if it's your first time you want to give a full try to the technique as they say and you can see at the end what's your benefits only from that technique

Journaling presonally I would not do it, it might distract you from the actual meditation

Edited by Jordan94

Congrats @John Iverson ! I would say for those 10 days stay with just that technique. They'll give you instructions, do your best to apply them; you'll benefit the most that way.

I'm very happy for you!❤

On 11/13/2018 at 5:24 PM, Outer said:

Eat a lot of food

I would say eat little-moderate amount of food. enough so you are not hungry and not too much so your stomach is not full.

How did it go?@John Iverson

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,