Robby

How to meet an enlightened person?

25 posts in this topic

@Robby I believe adyashanti lives in Cali, but you better have $1,500 laying around to chill with him during a retreat. 

Edited by Tony 845

O hey, I just stumbled across this conversation after searching for: "I want to meet an enlightened person"  ;) 

I have been curious to find out, if there are people out there who would like to meet someone who says of him or herself, that (s)he is enlightened. There is certainly no lack of those who claim to be. But how can I know that it is really true? 

Some believe enlightened persons should be able to fly, others believe that it is all in the mind, mixed up with some generic statements on consciousness and oneness - but you probably wouldn't see a difference between those gurus and anybody else really.

The old Tibetans taught us that enlightenment starts in the body. Someone who has reached full - thus also physical - enlightenment, has the ability for instant release of all tensions stored in muscles and myofascial tissue. An enlightened person is able to free him or herself from all physical pain and tension in muscles, joints, neck, shoulders, hips, feet etc. The body sure feels like it is flying. Taking years to release all stored up tension through their own meditation, their body will eventually flow like water and move like rubber. No one can fake it. Everyone can see it.

This enlightened meditation, in which the body is left unhindered to its autonomous movements, only relies on the force of gravity and own bodyweight and the body's impluse to heal. Some of those physical positions are known in simpler forms through yoga practice, but are much more powerful, dynamic and individual - based on patterns of tension in the body. The enlightended person can, thus, physically demonstrate an enlightened state of being, or prove it, if you insist. No problem. And they must. If not, we would be going around in circles and there is no use for that.

There will have been a key physical event at the moment of enlightenment, that only the enlightened person can know through first hand experience. You couldn't do it consciously, if you tried. Worst thing, you suffocate.

So for all seekers: keep it simple, start getting radically honest with yourself, forgive others and learn how to say sorry, humbly give just that bit more self-sacrifice than self-performance and you will be headed off in the right direction for now. And if you should ever suspect that you - or someone else - is enlightened, remember this post. Good luck, traveller!

Edited by TTBerlin