XYZ

Advice for learning audio/video editing skills form scratch?

7 posts in this topic

Straight to the point, I want to break out of my technological laziness spell and develop some actual skills I can use to manifest creative projects.

Can anyone recommend a free open-source audio and video editing platform to use and online tutorials to learn from? Things that have served you well if you too perhaps had to get over the hump from passively using the internet to actually making things.

Most of my laziness, in all areas of life, is sheer indecision and having so many options to choose from. Other is lack of starting resources, but this is something that can be done with just a computer and internet.

Download the adobe products that way you're building the right toolkit from the start. There are thousands of tutorials online...

I do actually recommend searching online for what you want to focus on and actually buying a good book on it. It will save you a lot of hours seeing the same things in different tutorials.

My personal booklist on this stuff:

• Drawing:
    •  Finish the learn drawing in 30 days book
  • Graphic design:
    • Read: the Mollybang book,
    • Finish all the 50 tutorials on the site,
    • Read: Color and Light, A Guide for the Realist Painter
    • Read: Dream Worlds, Production Design for Animation
    • Read: How to Draw: Drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination
    • Read: Interaction of Color
  • Adobe:
    • Read: AI classroom in a book
    • Read: Vector Basic Training
  • Animation:
    • Read: Animated Storytelling by Liz Blazer
    • Read: Design for Motion
    • Read: Moving Image Workshop
    • Read: AE classroom in a book
    • Read: Creative Motion Graphic Titling for Film, Video, and the Web
    • Read: Motion Graphics: Principles and Practices from the Ground Up (Theory Only)
    • Read: Transforming Type: New Directions in Kinetic Typography (Theory Only)
    • Read: Motion Graphics in Branding
    • Read: The Animator's Survival Kit
    • Read: Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects (Out Dated)
    • Read: Motion Graphic Design: Applied History and Aesthetics

@dude you seem like a knowledgeable guy in this area. What would you suggest as an alternative to Adobe Premier Pro to someone who has some editing skills but doesn't want to pay 400$ a year for editing software. Not a professional editing ..at leat not yet. 

Thanks!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 13.11.2018 at 11:08 AM, Michael569 said:

@dude you seem like a knowledgeable guy in this area. What would you suggest as an alternative to Adobe Premier Pro to someone who has some editing skills but doesn't want to pay 400$ a year for editing software. Not a professional editing ..at leat not yet. 

Thanks!

I think you can try adobe suite for free for 30 days.