youngshinzen

Natural ways to lower blood pressure

5 posts in this topic

Hey,

it‘s gotten better now that I‘m off of benzos, but there‘s still a tendency to high blood pressure. I was at a cardiologist and he diagnosed a light thickening of the heart wall, which is common with people who do marathons and so on, but I didn‘t, it might be solely due to stress and depression I had for a few years. 

I also feel a certain tightness in my chest and back, like an emotional corset. I can also hear and feel my heart more than I like to.

I‘m eating healthy, exercising and meditating to be as restful as possible. But are there more ways to improve the condition? 

I heard that the heart chakra can close so much, that it leads to high blood pressure. Is that possible and might that be the case?

Avoid stimulants, walk a ton / be very active, exercise moderately to the point of it making you feel good (I.e. don’t stress yourself out with exercise), practice relaxation, get good sleep, brearhing exercises, and blood pressure lowering foods like pomegranate and beets, spinach etc.  

Not sure about the heart chakra but absolutely actively feeling positive emotions changes your physiology in a very beneficial way, including lowering blood pressure. 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

What @InfinitePotential said, all great advice especially clean eating, stimulants, getting enought sleep and exercise while reducing stress. 

Other things you may try: 

• Watch your sodium intake (processed foods, oversalting, eating out, eating in industrial cheap restaurants) and try to stay bellow 1g per day if possible. A single sodium-heavy meal will bump up your heart pressure within few hours. Try using miso paste in your meals instead of salt, it tastes the same but does not have the blood pressure bumping effect. You should be able to get all the sodium you need from vegetables. Or have a celery juice every once in a while. This is probably one of the most important points. In fact, get rid of your table salt shaker, you should not have a need for it. 
  • Drink plenty of water, it helps with an efficient movement of sodium across body and excretion when needed
  • Get rid of coffee permanently if you haven't already. Induces HPA axis hyperactivation, makes you overstressed and raises your blood pressure and heart beating rate. 
  • Increase your intake of fruit, especially berries and melons every once in a while. Try to aim up to 10 portions a day. I think there was also some link between kiwi and lower blood pressure. Think giant smoothie bowl for breakfast instead of toast, eggs or cornflakes
  • Have a giant colourful salad every day with a lots of green leafy vegetables. 
  • Eat more whole grains - there is a big association between those and reduced blood pressure, risc of cardiovascular problems and type II diabetes. Make sure they are in their whole form, think: buckwheat, oats, quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, spelt, kamut...

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  Fruits in the morning sound like a good idea as it‘s also much easier and faster to make. Being aware of salt intake below 1g will be hard though, I‘ll try to keep an eye on it. Thank you!