Dan Arnautu

First results from working with anxiety (using David Hawkin's letting go technique)

2 posts in this topic

I had terrible anxiety resulting frequently in panic attacks. The pqnic attacks usually came about from letting the mind run amok on existential questions and resisting both the feelings and the thoughts.

I've set an alarm every hour labeled "Let go :)" to remind myself to do an internal check in to see if worry or anxiety had acumulated, especially in the abdomen. 

After 3 alarms my abdomen still felt very contracted, my mind uneasy, and felt both anxiety and worry. 

I started again asking the questions: Can I allow myself to feel this feeling fully? Can I let this feeling go? Would I let it go? When? 

And after I got through those and said Now, I inhaled and clenched my fists really hard and then I let go in a swooping motion of my hands coupled with the exhale, and at the same time imagining a knot untangling from my abdomen area.

Done this two times and all the worry and anxiety went away fully. Also felt a slight euphoria. 

But what surprised me was that not only was it gone, COMPLETELY DISSOLVED, but I tried evoking it back to see if I could and I couldn't, haha. 

For two hours I was in a state of deep peace and couldn't cause anxiety or fearful thoughts to myself. I was amazed. 

I'm gonna keep doing it. This is just an update on my progress. Hope this helps some other people out. 

I also had a terrible fear of heights, which resulted in 1 panic attack during my first flight. On my third flight I used deep diaphragmatic breathing coupled with the letting go technique and the flight was almost a breeze. I felt so proud and alive afterwards. 

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Very nice. Keep it up brother. I love Doc Hawkins work. 'Letting Go' is my favourite book.

You can also use the 'mindfulness bell' app on smartphone to routinely chime throughout the day based in how you set it as a reminder to let go.

Remember that you can let go of anything, at anytime, anywhere. A lot of things can be dropped instantly. Do it until it becomes second nature.