VioletFlame

Raised by an Anti-Educational Working Class Family

11 posts in this topic

So without trying to sound like some whiny adolescent AH in their 20's who resents their family, I've been contemplating school a lot more lately and ever since I was a little girl and ever mentioned the idea of going to college to these people they would always say "College? Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how much that costs?", and would dismiss the entire visualization and act as though it's never going to be a possibility, like it's some pipe dream fantasy. I have too many ambitions to not succeed in life. It's not that they don't believe in me or think I'm incapable I don't think, it's just their whole Nihilistic approach on this, having so much despair, it was not necessarily a splendid boost to my path of self-actualization. Perhaps I'm naive and they're looking at things realistically? Or perhaps it's pure pessimism and ignorance? Or would they resent me for my mere desire to want to chase my dreams and learn as much as I can in life? I question the psychological hassle behind this a lot.

I've always had this natural desire and intention to learn and gain knowledge, not in any pretentious or superior way, but solely because I was doing it out of pure passion. There was always a book in my hand growing up and I'll never forget this one incident where I was showing a friend what I was reading as a kid and my mother got intoxicated and just snatched it out of my hand and aggressively threw it across the room. It always freaked me out and bewildered me as to why some people around me didn't like to see me read or write or self-educate myself in anyway. Hence one reason why I need a fucking degree like in my hand, lol. Because unfortunately in consensus reality, it seems as though you need solid proof & certification that you love the things you love and read the things you read on a daily basis or else nobody will respect you, or take you seriously or believe in your knowledge & intelligence. (Classic ego; ID conundrum.)

I mean, I'm at a time in my life now where I'm well off, and feeling more secure and independent than ever, after many years of hardship and battle. I couldn't do it without my spiritual practice and I'm blessed enough to have the opportunity to work in places that are spiritual and fulfilling for me and the career path I'm leaning towards and I have a valid plan so their doubts, most likely precipitated by their generation, shall not shatter my ambitions, but only increase my momentum. Can anyone here vibe with me on this? 

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@VioletFlame Three years of military service and an honorable discharge gets you free tuition, free books, and about $1600 a month.  The price is 36 months of eating a shit sandwich though, lol.

:S

Edited by GenuinePerspectiveXC

@d0ornokey Thank you so much for that information, it was inspiring to read.

I believe in the value of self-education so much because it's the only thing that's ever worked for me, so reading that just now just confirmed so much and something really clicked. I was just saying that I feel as though without a degree in my hand I won't acquire the societal respect I would like to earn. 

Growing up in school I would have a hard time concentrating and focusing on what was being taught because of the other kids and emotionally unstable teachers around me and the environment alone was awfully distracting. As I got older, and my perception and awareness started growing, developing my own opinions and what not, I was fed up with the traditional curriculum being taught to us and how even in Art class there were these strict rules and the teachers would bitch & moan, complain and just have a total negative attitude and outlook on life. Large, noisy, obnoxious groups weren't my thing, I wanted to remain lost in wonderland, in my own little silent sacred space where imagination held the key.

I can tell you right now if and when I have children someday, I am absolutely terrified of the day they begin school, mainly because of the teachers. "Don't talk to strangers kids!" but "Hey here's your lunch and have a grand day with 1,000+ other strange humans who have sketchy diverse mentalities & psychosis'!" I mean in retrospect, I can remember many of them being downright insane, and they had all of those kids to pick on too, locked in a classroom.

There were times I would quietly cut school and actually go to the local library to find more interesting, fulfilling books to read and find locations with breathing nature and just read there, with the trees, for the majority of a school day. Because I figured, well fuck I love to learn but this place sucks so I might as well get an education somewhere, I wasn't going to slack off on LIFE. Simply just the educational system. And honestly that was the best bet for me so far. I learned so much more simply from cutting school and going on solo adventures with the intention of learning about what's happening around me and learning about things I was actually naturally passionate about. I'm not saying basic education and common knowledge aren't relevant, but I believe it can be much harder for people to comprehend or learn anything they're not naturally intrigued to learn. Teaches drilling bias ideas and opinions into our heads, especially related to religion & politics (that's where I really got miffed), it just is not appropriate so therefore it motivated me to want to go learn the things I naturally loved learning, for my own soul, as an autonomous individual. Astrology, biographies about psychopaths, Carl Jung, Alan Watts, Albert Camus, Buddha, Edgar Cayce, and many other topics and subjects that would not get taught, the list goes on and on.

I wonder if home schooling and spiritual education is the far future. I wonder if this would be a good idea or a bad idea. Kids could either become more intellectually advanced and passionate about what they want out of life, or more isolated and introverted and not experiencing as much. It's a double-edged sword.

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@Leo Gura I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic, since you were once on a similar journey. I'm struggling in a pickle here man. I am super passionate about becoming a spiritual counselor, helping people heal through the power & magic of art, music and writing and through the use of divination tools for personal development such as Tarot.

What are my options? Where would I begin? Do I go get a degree in psychology or metaphysics or no degree at all? Metaphysics is not offered anywhere around where I am from, sadly. Neither is holistic healing or spiritual psychology, music psychology, nothing like that. There's some pretty stupid low-consciousness people in this area, I must say lol I wonder if that is a factor. I feel like there's no way I could commence this career without having that signature and certificate proving I know and understand these things? But maybe I'm just far behind the times and not aware of the possibilities? I know you studied metaphysics and epistemology and look where you are! 

5 hours ago, Aquarius said:

@GenuinePerspectiveXC Where can I find out more please??

It's the Federal Network that can help you out with enlistment more than I can. "Click if you'd like to know more!" 

Starting at :10 ending at at :32

Edited by GenuinePerspectiveXC

@GenuinePerspectiveXC Damn O.o haha

If you have a specific profession you want to pursue (ie. Researcher, physician, psychologist, ect) then I'd say do it. Be aware that these sort of professions are incredibly competitive to get in to, so only do it if you are certain about what you want, are 100% committed, and have the powerful motivation of a compelling vision/life purpose, since you will need to work exceptionally hard to get top grades, and take advantage of many opportunities (ie. Internships, ect.) in order to get into the post graduate courses. Of course you will have to continue studying autodiactally since most the really interesting/profound stuff will probably not be taught at university (although they often do teach some interesting stuff!), especially in psychology (they won't be teaching self-actualisation or Jung). Uni is just another source of knowledge among many. 

I'm currently studying psychology, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

If you just want to learn interesting stuff, metaphysics for instance, I would save the money and continue to go autodidact. Universities do not teach philosophy well at all, in my own experience. 

Edited by Mathew Pav

@VioletFlame I grew up in a family that didn't place importance on education, though it was not actively villianized.  It sounds like there is a little bit of a "crabs in the pocket" effect.  Your family members may be sour because they perhaps didn't have the same opportunities that you did, and they are projecting this onto you. 

It seems that based Leo's words, university is stigmatized on actualized.org, and entrepreneurship is idolized.  I can say for me, I have my dream job and that was not possible without going to University.  

I think you need to get more strategic and specific about what it is that you want to pursue.  Then, make a decision which path you are going to take.  If you are doing well, and just have a thirst for knowledge, you can always do independent study of open-source (free) courses. 

Good luck