Wisebaxter

It it worth learning to meditate cross legged?

9 posts in this topic

I'm reading a book Leo gave us on his book list and the author says:

"Sitting cross legged is important because it helps you control the apana vayu, descending energy."

However Leo has said on a thread that it doesn't matter how you sit, that you can meditate standing on your head if you like. For the past two months I've been sitting on a chair and have gone straight to doing 1 hr sits, as when I sit cross legged I get numbness very quickly and have to start shifting positions, which effects the practice. Should I be making the effort to build up a cross legged practice? Even if I can only do 10 mins or so at first and work my way up? Some might say 'whatever's comfortable,' well sitting on a chair is comfortable, but if I'm blocking the flow of energy somehow then I don't want that. I'm happy to develop full lotus if needed, I just want to get the best results and don't mind sitting through pain if it's going to be worth it. Thanks 

In my experience, sitting on a chair or straight legged somehow makes the whole act seem not as influencial. Maybe that's only because i started meditating crossed legged in the first place. It's much harder for me to get into meditative state when sittting somehow different than cross legged. So i assume that the position one is in makes a difference. But I guess the best thing is to listen to yourself and do what feels right for you.

1 hour ago, Wisebaxter said:

@karkaore Did you get pain at first when sitting cross legged?

Have you considered doing some streches? It comes down to something as simple as that.:) yoga does the trick, + has a lot of extra benefits.

Full lotus or tailor/Burmese are very good postures for meditation. Seiza too. If you can manage them, great. If you're close then it's worth working towards. If you're not, it doesnt really matter, whatever works for you.

Side note - I've found half lotus isnt very great because it's off balance, your spine has to have a crook in it.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Wisebaxter Energy/Chakras/Kundalini has mostly to do with your own mind.

If you truly believe that sitting cross-legged will help, then it will. If you truly believe that it doesn't matter, then it won't.

The power of self-hypnosis is enormous. 

This is a weird one for me personally.

I struggle, and I mean REALLY struggle, sitting cross legged due to extremely tight, knotted up, stiff, inflexible hips (particularly in my hip flexors, psoas, and glutes). I can’t even do a high kick. Over my years of being a runner, I’ve noticed that most of my injuries stem from my extremely weak and tight hips and their extremely limited ROM (range of motion). I can’t even get into half lotus. Just not possible for me if I tried right now. Me sitting in say Burmese or “perfect posture” or even in the posture @Leo Guraposted on his blog awhile back is just excruciating. I feel this stabbing and throbbing in my hips and due to my extreme tightness there, this throws off my breathing as I can’t breathe relaxed or even through my diaphragm efficiently. I mean, I’m 6’ tall and 135 pounds and my 55 year old dad whose 190ish has more mobile hips than me. I also have an annoying saliva swallowing problem which makes meditation a nightmare (yes I’ve tried tongue behind the teeth, palate, etc. none of that has worked). So personally I nust sit in a chair for now. 

However! When I self inquire and really get in a groove, I can just be sitting at my kitchen table or standing at a view and it comes SO MUCH more effortlessly. I get in such a deep groove contemplating and lock in on awareness itself, everything is arising and passing away in awareness, etc. I can be slouched in my bed and it’s so much better. 

Most people don't have difficulty working their way into the Burmese position on a zafu, and that is a very stable position, even for long sits. Not nearly as difficult to attain as full Lotus or even half Lotus. But yeah, I often think I should put in the time it takes to obtain the flexibility for half Lotus as well.

@karkaore That's good advice thanks, I'll work out some yoga stretches and try out for for @PsiloPutty mentioned i.e Burmese position. I get what @kieranperez and @111111 are saying, that it's largely to do with your mindset, but if there's a chance that I could do longer sits with a more sturdy position, feel more grounded and have my energy flowing more freely, I don't want to take chances. My mind won't let me rest otherwise anyway, it just keeps saying 'This aint legit.' Rubbish I'm sure but I'll indulge it anyway and shut it up. Thanks guys