winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, SunnyNewDay said:

Hmm ok I see what you're saying I suppose but I still don't see why I see things this way and why it is the way it is if I have this true nature or whatever underneath. Do you understand why there is good and evil in the world? Doesn't make sense to me why many people would go unconscious their whole life and do bad, I mean I understand how it happens but I don't understand why it exists in the first place if God is good. Is it possible to be a bad person and do terrible things and be enlightened and full of bliss? Or is there a phenomenon of being conciousness and doing good because to be concious is to be good?

Right, what I'm saying is that any answer I give you in words is not going to be satisfying. I can say "Evil is just an illusion." Are you going to be satisfied with that? If you want answers, pursue the path.

1 minute ago, SunnyNewDay said:

I find my mind is so hard to control and sometimes I feel like its damaged. Like I'll try to control my thoughts but it gives me a headache and sensations in my body that feel bad and I feel this brooding emotion. I still try to work on controlling my mind but I've found to work with emotions to be more effective for keeping my mind calm and clean. Any tips for someone who has a really hard to control, active, negative mind that causes a lot of emotional issues and negative thoughts when trying to be controlled?

Yes -- enter psychoanalysis. That's a specific type of therapy -- not just any therapy. I recommend it to practically every seeker.

Here's how to find an institute near you; contact them for a referral. 

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

Right, what I'm saying is that any answer I give you in words is not going to be satisfying. I can say "Evil is just an illusion." Are you going to be satisfied with that? If you want answers, pursue the path.

Yes -- enter psychoanalysis. That's a specific type of therapy -- not just any therapy. I recommend it to practically every seeker.

Here's how to find an institute near you; contact them for a referral. 

No I wouldn't be satisfied with that because while that may be true I always favor my own first hand experience of things and to me evil does not feel like just an illusion, I mean I suppose just existence and everything has this magical dream like illusion feeling to it but evil feels very real or like there is some meaning or purpose to solve it and fix it. 

This stuff is unfortunately not available in my country. I've been doing breathe work like wim hofand holotropic breathe work and also I've done some psychadelics which have been really helpful. Are there any other emotional techniques and stuff I can do in place of this if therapy isn't available in my country?

58 minutes ago, SunnyNewDay said:

No I wouldn't be satisfied with that because while that may be true I always favor my own first hand experience of things and to me evil does not feel like just an illusion, I mean I suppose just existence and everything has this magical dream like illusion feeling to it but evil feels very real or like there is some meaning or purpose to solve it and fix it. 

Well, if you feel that way, then investigate those feelings and pursue that meaning.

This stuff is unfortunately not available in my country. I've been doing breathe work like wim hofand holotropic breathe work and also I've done some psychadelics which have been really helpful. Are there any other emotional techniques and stuff I can do in place of this if therapy isn't available in my country?

What country are you in?

Wim hof and breathwork are not really a substitute. Metaphorization & the science of desire might be helpful (covered more extensively in my book). 

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Do you know what this is and have you managed to stabilize it?

dad-DFAFASFASF.png

You may need to close your eyes.

B R E A T H E

@winterknight how do you balance non duality with practical life? 

More specifically, I find myself constantly feeling like I should have non duality in my life, and some small practice at the very least, as i feel I will get astronomical gains years from now 

But at the same time nothing in my life is in place and my mental health keeps going out of whack. Do I take care of what's immediately bothering me first?

Or do I get into non duality. I guess I know the answer already but hearing it from you might be nice  

@winterknight You've suggested ignoring all thoughts for 30 days. But I'd ask, why? If we were not meant to have a thinking mind, or if it is of no use to us, why do we? 

If our thoughts are not ours, then whose are they? Are we all possessed? 

Starting to get back in the loop of worrying again. My friends/family are robots etc. I don't see how this helps anyone. 

19 minutes ago, d0ornokey said:

@winterknight how do you balance non duality with practical life? 

More specifically, I find myself constantly feeling like I should have non duality in my life, and some small practice at the very least, as i feel I will get astronomical gains years from now 

But at the same time nothing in my life is in place and my mental health keeps going out of whack. Do I take care of what's immediately bothering me first?

Or do I get into non duality. I guess I know the answer already but hearing it from you might be nice  

You can do both at the same time; you can walk and chew gum. I literally constantly recommend psychoanalysis (not just any therapy) because some 99% of spiritual seekers have psychological issues that need addressing. Go get those addressed, start reading scriptures, and practicing self-inquiry.

9 minutes ago, Paul92 said:

@winterknight You've suggested ignoring all thoughts for 30 days. But I'd ask, why? If we were not meant to have a thinking mind, or if it is of no use to us, why do we? 

If our thoughts are not ours, then whose are they? Are we all possessed? 

Starting to get back in the loop of worrying again. My friends/family are robots etc. I don't see how this helps anyone. 

It's not that we were not meant to have a thinking mind, but that we are identified with it, and can't see through the identification unless the mind significantly quiets for a while.

It's not that we're possessed but that the idea of "we" in the first place is wrong.

Follow the advice I gave just above... all the same links apply to you.

@d0ornokey @d0ornokey Just sharing my understanding so for.Honestly speaking Self Enquiry is for very advanced souls.

Meaning traditionally it was offered only to people already leading a perfect righteous disciplined spiritual life who are seen qualified for Self Enquiry by Gurus.

"Nothing in my life is in perfect place and my mental health keeps going down"

Only if you lead a perfect life for 23.5 hours.You can sit in meditation for half an hour.

What's perfect life - Daily systematic disciplined routines and a righteous life.

Everything on time.Eating,sleeping,daily excercise.Meditation.

Doing your duty whole heartedly.Honesty,integrity,righteousness.

Money is essential for living.So no escape from earning that.Spiritual life is not sitting idle - so no escape from duties as well.

So put your life in order and take appropriate treatment for your mental health first.

Else calming the mind will be impossible.

----------_------------------------------

Rest follow what winterknight says physchoanalysis theraphy and self enquiry.

@winterknight the idea of 'we' is wrong. Why do people find this liberating or see it as something joyous? "you don't exist, and neither does anyone else!".

It just makes zero sense. We're basically robots. All individuals. But we're not. 

So then I'd ask, if we are not meant to identify with thoughts, why is that our default action? What if our thoughts are our thoughts, I mean, how else could an animal think? 

1 hour ago, Paul92 said:

@winterknight the idea of 'we' is wrong. Why do people find this liberating or see it as something joyous? "you don't exist, and neither does anyone else!".

The reason is that what you are, once the false ideas are removed, is perfect peace, truth, and freedom.

It just makes zero sense. We're basically robots. All individuals. But we're not. 

Isn't that the case when you're reading a novel? Do the characters in the book actually exist, or are they really just words?

If you really want to understand, you might consider putting some serious time into studying the schools of eastern mysticism. Read my book or other recommended books on nonduality and get back to me.

So then I'd ask, if we are not meant to identify with thoughts, why is that our default action? What if our thoughts are our thoughts, I mean, how else could an animal think? 

"Nonduality" -- which is what this forum is all about, what the schools of mysticism all around the world are about, certainly what I'm teaching -- holds that the very idea of humans, animals, thinking, the world -- all of this is a kind of illusion. It's an illusion that causes pain and suffering and uncertainty.

This illusion can be penetrated if you look very carefully into the mind. If you really want, you can learn about the philosophical arguments for why this might be so, or you can simply take the world of the many people over thousands of years who have experienced this and then talked about it.

As far as why thoughts are our "default action" -- it turns out, after you look very closely, that that is in fact not the case. Basically, you're living in a giant misunderstanding.

Edited by winterknight

16 minutes ago, SunnyNewDay said:

Where does the feeling of being "ungrounded" come from?

That entirely depends on for whom it is occurring and in what context. Any time anyone asks "where is this thought or feeling coming from," the answers can vary from "what you ate two hours ago" to "everything in the universe since the beginning of time brought you to this moment" to "it's god's will."

What you really might be asking is: what's the significance of this feeling for me? If you want to know that, you'll have to become curious about it, and perhaps write or draw or otherwise record your experience of it in great detail... trying to capture what it's like to undergo that experience. And maybe you'll find a message within about the way you view the world...

Edited by winterknight

4 hours ago, Beginner Mind said:

Why is ignorance the case?  Why have we forgotten Ourself?

If you look deeply into enough into the I, it will become clear that ignorance is not the case and has never been the case.

Why is it important to have a silent mind to do self-inquiry? 

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

any tips for creating a calm nervous system and not always being tinged with a bit of anxiety in situations you're regularly in?

5 hours ago, Salvijus said:

Why is it important to have a silent mind to do self-inquiry? 

Self-inquiry is about putting forth sustained attentional effort. The mind doesn't have to be absolutely silent, but without the ability and desire to focus intensely -- which requires a relatively quiet mind -- the distractions will keep interfering with that effort.

17 minutes ago, SunnyNewDay said:

any tips for creating a calm nervous system and not always being tinged with a bit of anxiety in situations you're regularly in?

Well, psychoanalysis like I already said. Pretty much any kind of meditative practice faithfully followed (self-inquiry/surrender, breathing-oriented, mantra-oriented, mindfulness, etc.). Watching your other patterns (what you eat, how you sleep, etc.) to see if there are things you could improve in those areas. Those are off the top of my head.

Edited by winterknight

What's the difference between atma-vichara, self-inquiry form like Ramana Maharshi or Mooji is teaching and neti neti? 

I sometimes feel like there're many ways to do self-inquiry. But they all seem to produce somewhat different results. Like they have a differerent taste when you do them. Yet it also feels like the basis is the same. 

Sometimes I observe the effort, sometimes I observe the movement of my mind, sometimes I observe my identity or self-image, sometimes I question who sees the self-image, sometimes I do neti neti, not this, not this while also observing the identity, person. So many ways to do it. Is it all the same or It's actually different? 

Edited by Salvijus

Those you do not forgive you fear.