winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@winterknight Thanks, so enlightenment is not something you can lose touch with once you have "seen" it? Even brain damage wouldn't change that? Also, how does enlightenment differ from disidentification from the ego? And one more, looking at an object and "merging" with it, so that there is no separation between you and the object, is that ego death or simply a deep form of presence?

I know these are lots of questions but they're questions I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time. Thank you for your patience.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

If materialism is just wrong, why are enlightened masters never able to break laws of physics? They could hallucinate breaking them, but someone operating in materialism can do it objectively, where other people can see it too

2 hours ago, tenta said:

If materialism is just wrong, why are enlightened masters never able to break laws of physics? They could hallucinate breaking them, but someone operating in materialism can do it objectively, where other people can see it too

That's not true. There are countless number of records of Yogis doing occult practices which could seem like breaking physics laws as known by the everyone. One such record is of Yogis bringing dead people back to life

8 hours ago, Preetom said:

Did you become enlightened as well from the counter self inquiry question? ?

:D One of my favorite lines in the Yoga Vasistha is one which says something like "Even if you are already enlightened, if you read this, you will become even more enlightened!"

2 hours ago, Commodent said:

@winterknight Thanks, so enlightenment is not something you can lose touch with once you have "seen" it? Even brain damage wouldn't change that?

Correct. Enlightenment is the fact that you are not affected by varying brain states. Someone with brain damage might appear to "outsiders" to have lost touch with the spiritual, but if that seemed to be the case, it would not really be true.

Also, how does enlightenment differ from disidentification from the ego? 

Enlightenment is the realization that there is no ego from which to disidentify.

And one more, looking at an object and "merging" with it, so that there is no separation between you and the object, is that ego death or simply a deep form of presence?

I don't like the term ego death. It's a form of concentration, or in Hindu parlance, a kind of samadhi.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

2 hours ago, tenta said:

First, enlightenment has nothing to do with supernatural powers like that.

Second, materialism being false doesn't mean that there aren't apparent laws and constraints. It's simply that they're not controlled ultimately by the laws of matter but by God. 

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

4 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

Yup, it’s good

@winterknight 

Something shifted. No thoughts, omnipresence, ... like to discover more and explore further.

Are there any communities where to connect to?

Thank you for giving direction.  

'Ella' 
Belgium 

GodEverwhereOmniPresenceSocialNoText.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ella said:

@winterknight 

Something shifted. No thoughts, omnipresence, ... like to discover more and explore further.

Are there any communities where to connect to?

You're in one right now. What exactly is it that you hope to discover and explore?

How important is it to have a "healthy" ego? (even though I don't even know what a healthy ego is)

Will it make the spiritual path easier?

1 hour ago, cena655 said:

How important is it to have a "healthy" ego? (even though I don't even know what a healthy ego is)

Will it make the spiritual path easier?

A healthy ego is one in which there is sufficient clarity of mind and emotional well-being to undertake the spiritual search. Yes, it will make the spiritual path easier.

@winterknight I would like to meet people who are on the path to enlightenment physically. (not virtually) 

Even though I know the human condition reaches beyond this physical existence, it would be nice to surround me with people that share the same path:) 

Now the people/friends around me are not aware and keep talking about there problems in the limited belief system... there just too far off to talk about the path to enlightenment and also not open to it ... (difficult to explain, I hope you understand) 

So the question is. Are there physical communities you know of? 

3 hours ago, Ella said:

@winterknight I would like to meet people who are on the path to enlightenment physically. (not virtually) 

Even though I know the human condition reaches beyond this physical existence, it would be nice to surround me with people that share the same path:) 

Now the people/friends around me are not aware and keep talking about there problems in the limited belief system... there just too far off to talk about the path to enlightenment and also not open to it ... (difficult to explain, I hope you understand) 

So the question is. Are there physical communities you know of? 

There are many different styles and varieties of seekers coming from many different standpoints and schools. For example, you might find a community of seekers if you went to Tiruvannamalai in India (where the Indian sage Ramana Maharshi used to live) -- though you might also find a lot of other people. And clearly they will be seekers influenced by Maharshi's teachings.

You will also find seekers in various Buddhist monasteries and retreats, Hindu ashrams, and so on. You'll find seekers at places like the Science and Nonduality conference, and also around any of the prominent Western spiritual teachers, though obviously those seekers will be influenced by and in the style of those teachings.

Maybe you could consider watching some interviews on Buddha at the Gas Pump and see if anyone resonates?

2 hours ago, okulele said:

@winterknight Can you recognize another enlightened person when you see one? If so, how?

By watching what they say and what they do and how one feels about them and in their presence, one can get a sense over time of whether they 'get it' or not.

Though in a sense it's limited, because the ultimate truth is that there are no enlightened people, there's just enlightenment.

What do you think about the messages of nondual teachers like Tony Parsons, Jim Newman, and Paul Hedderman.  (Youtube them if you have the time)

Tony Parsons talks a lot about meaninglessness, and this intrigues me.  Sometimes the notion of meaninglessness is like a sick feeling in the gut, other times it feels like a weight being lifted, but it always some kind of emotional rollercoaster when I listen to talks about nonduality, it is a bit shocking and I couldn't imagine having a mundane conversation about it at a bus stop or a park (although it would be lovely!)

A course in miracles also speaks of meaninglessness, but from the perspective of the ego thought system.  ACIM basically puts the metaphysics this way:  the egoic thought system projects meaning and purpose (knowledge) onto the world and seeks security in that form of knowing, like miscreation 101, the original sin, missing the mark, making an innocent error.

The course then subtly transitions to "God did not create a meaningless world."

The paradox of duality is displayed in the two statements "Nothing I see means anything" and "God did not create a meaningless world."

Maybe the perception of meaning is the error, and Tony asserting that the world is meaningless is just smacking the ego's hand and saying you've miscreated by attaching your own personal meaning to the universe.  This personal universe is one in which I stake  a flag in the ground and say "these concepts of meaning are my own, they are a testament to my knowledge and understanding, and they give me security in a world I truly know nothing about..."

A universe beyond limitation could hold no meaning except by the whole.  What believes it is a fragmented and limited part could only perceive a fragmented and limited concept or meaning of reality, since by its own limitations, its can only perceive a "slice" .

Where is @Faceless when you need him, box with me man.

What do you think @winterknight?

Edit:  While proofreading I noticed that the statement from the course "Nothing I see means anything" probably means physical sight in terms of perception.  The statement "God didn't create a meaningless world" is a metaphysical statement.  I think that is worth dwelling on.

Edited by MiracleMan

Grace

14 minutes ago, MiracleMan said:

What do you think about the messages of nondual teachers like Tony Parsons, Jim Newman, and Paul Hedderman.  (Youtube them if you have the time)

Tony Parsons talks a lot about meaninglessness, and this intrigues me.  Sometimes the notion of meaninglessness is like a sick feeling in the gut, other times it feels like a weight being lifted, but it always some kind of emotional rollercoaster when I listen to talks about nonduality, it is a bit shocking and I couldn't imagine having a mundane conversation about it at a bus stop or a park (although it would be lovely!)

A course in miracles also speaks of meaninglessness, but from the perspective of the ego thought system.  ACIM basically puts the metaphysics this way:  the egoic thought system projects meaning and purpose (knowledge) onto the world and seeks security in that form of knowing, like miscreation 101, the original sin, missing the mark, making an innocent error.

The course then subtly transitions to "God did not create a meaningless world."

The paradox of duality is displayed in the two statements "Nothing I see means anything" and "God did not create a meaningless world."

Maybe the perception of meaning is the error, and Tony asserting that the world is meaningless is just smacking the ego's hand and saying you've miscreated by attaching your own personal meaning to the universe.  This personal universe is one in which I stake  a flag in the ground and say "these concepts of meaning are my own, they are a testament to my knowledge and understanding, and they give me security in a world I truly know nothing about..."

A universe beyond limitation could hold no meaning except by the whole.  What believes it is a fragmented and limited part could only perceive a fragmented and limited concept or meaning of reality, since by its own limitations, its can only perceive a "slice" .

Where is @Faceless when you need him, box with me man.

What do you think @winterknight?

Edit:  While proofreading I noticed that the statement from the course "Nothing I see means anything" probably means physical sight in terms of perception.  The statement "God didn't create a meaningless world" is a metaphysical statement.  I think that is worth dwelling on.

Basically meaning itself is a human, mental concept. Realization means seeing the falsity of all such concepts. This is not to say that reality is meaningless. That too would be just another concept. 

@winterknight I’m sorry I said you were wrong, I was wrong in the end of the day. So I apologies 

do some enlightened beings still have psychological problems they never worked out by doing shadow work I.e psychoanalytics. And have instead bypassed it all together and become merged with being. 

Therefore in a sense, skipping the need to actually collapse a specific type of egoic trait, by collapsing the whole thing entirely 

16 minutes ago, Aakash said:

@winterknight I’m sorry I said you were wrong, I was wrong in the end of the day. So I apologies 

do some enlightened beings still have psychological problems they never worked out by doing shadow work I.e psychoanalytics. And have instead bypassed it all together and become merged with being. 

Therefore in a sense, skipping the need to actually collapse a specific type of egoic trait, by collapsing the whole thing entirely 

Questions about enlightened beings cannot really be answered  

But whether as a seeker one has to work on one’s psychology or not depends on whether one is able to pursue the search with focus, concentration, and intensity. If one is afflicted with overpowering anxiety, depression, distraction, lust or greed or anger... these will hinder the search.

@Ella You (God/Consciousness/Void) are imaging everything ... 

@winterknight I am addicted to smoking.Now want to quit smoking.

I guess there is no proper treatment cure for addiction - the crave - the urge which is psycho-somtic.

I have to decided to quit abruptly - cold turkey.As I dont believe in gradual reduction,Nicotine patches etc

Taking lot of cold water might help.

Guess it will take lot of effort mindfully observing witnessing the craving or the opposite focus the attention on craving conciously continously the craving inner resistance impatience temptation building.

Continously alert for few months till it never appears.

Please advice what is the best effective way - as addiction is the strongest pull than all other.

Other emotions it is easy to let go conciously but guess addiction goes much deeper.

???