winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, legendary said:

@winterknight I would love to know what your opinion about Tom Campbell's proposition is:

He seems to confuse a lot of different things. He doesn't seem to comprehend enlightenment. He mixes up the realization that there is only the Self with what happens at the level of the appearances of consciousness. He mixes up the consequences of enlightenment with people who have merely fooled themselves into thinking they've realized.

True that nothing is done, but then it is also the case that nothing began. When realization is 'done,' it is also the realization that there is no one for whom it is done. Nothing may be done, but there is also no one to do anything further. He talks about entropy and karma, but actually these appearances do not affect the fact that they cannot be said to exist at all, not one bit.

So all these paradoxes abound, but they are not paradoxes in the light of the Self. He doesn't seem to show any understanding of what self-realization actually is.

3 hours ago, EmptinessDncing said:

How important is it to pursue a still mind after awakening?  Mine fluctuates between stillness and busyness because of the intense current requirement for me to think creatively in my daily activities.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information.  I'm a bit like Leo where I intellectualise, create, philosophise, teach, and it feels like being in no-mind-land is not productive from a relative perspective.  Actually, it can be damn dysfunctional in my experience.  Is no-mind just escapism?  There's not a lot of drive here to be any which way, life just rolls.  There is always a very open/intense heart, and that drives my passion to help others.

This question arises from a place of identification. Who is it that is wondering this? Is it you? 

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

when doing self inqury somethimes it feels like only mind is talking, watching, doing if you understand me its more intelectual than meditative. 

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

So all these paradoxes abound, but they are not paradoxes in the light of the Self.

Thanks!

Do you think 5-MeO-DMT (or some other psychedelic) can be used for reaching full enlightenment?

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

3 minutes ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

when doing self inqury somethimes it feels like only mind is talking, watching, doing if you understand me its more intelectual than meditative. 

Then, instead, you can just give up all thinking. 

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@SriBhagwanYogiFind the borderline (that you are creating/"created") in-between the concept of your self and your thought(s). That's you. Following what you created towards you.

? Hmmmm

@winterknight  (Is this even describable?) *hopeful shrug*

@i am I AM Not sure do you think by that i had expirience, glimps of i that is pure awarness but now when i do self inquiry its 80 % mind saying you are behind all God being bla bla cant go back 

Self-inquiry will not be a help (only reshaping the ego) the moment you try analyze or define awareness while you are that, but rather, I would say ime, to stay in that space and at the sane time realize that that space goes on, forever.

That leads to the arrival of perceiving all as:not "me".

31 minutes ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

@i am I AM Not sure do you think by that i had expirience, glimps of i that is pure awarness but now when i do self inquiry its 80 % mind saying you are behind all God being bla bla cant go back 

I was not kidding in what I said above.

stop trying, stop thinking, stop trying to “get back.”

Just give up and relax

@winterknight Do "bad" things inherently exist? I remember recently wondering after meditation why is it that certain sensations ( e.g. thirst, hunger, anxiety, fear) generate suffering and are deemed bad whilst other sensations generate pleasure. After meditation I'll sometimes think "suffering doesn't exist" and whilst that is a sloppy way of phrasing it it comes from the feeling I have that suffering is just a thought story. Even the idea I have that I am suffering is a thought, which I see as something which obfuscates things further. It's not necessarily whether suffering exists or not I'm wondering, I'm wondering whether suffering is inherently bad. It's not like I haven't suffered deeply before when I say this, I have been suicidal.

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

11 hours ago, winterknight said:

This question arises from a place of identification. Who is it that is wondering this? Is it you? 

Of course it does.  The ego wants to know what it wants to know, however.  Otherwise there is no need for a forum to ask questions in the first place.  Will you answer the question?  I don't need circular questions to go deeper at this particular point.

1 hour ago, lmfao said:

@winterknight Do "bad" things inherently exist? I remember recently wondering after meditation why is it that certain sensations ( e.g. thirst, hunger, anxiety, fear) generate suffering and are deemed bad whilst other sensations generate pleasure. After meditation I'll sometimes think "suffering doesn't exist" and whilst that is a sloppy way of phrasing it it comes from the feeling I have that suffering is just a thought story. Even the idea I have that I am suffering is a thought, which I see as something which obfuscates things further. It's not necessarily whether suffering exists or not I'm wondering, I'm wondering whether suffering is inherently bad. It's not like I haven't suffered deeply before when I say this, I have been suicidal.

No thing "inherently exists" and there is "nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

32 minutes ago, EmptinessDncing said:

Of course it does.  The ego wants to know what it wants to know, however.  Otherwise there is no need for a forum to ask questions in the first place.  Will you answer the question?  I don't need circular questions to go deeper at this particular point.

You clearly do need questions to go deeper, because it's like asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" It makes incoherent assumptions.

As a seeker, which the ego which "wants to know what it wants to know" is, it is important to pursue a still mind.

"After awakening" it makes no sense to ask what to pursue.

44 minutes ago, winterknight said:

No thing "inherently exists" and there is "nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

You clearly do need questions to go deeper, because it's like asking "When did you stop beating your wife?" It makes incoherent assumptions.

As a seeker, which the ego which "wants to know what it wants to know" is, it is important to pursue a still mind.

"After awakening" it makes no sense to ask what to pursue.

Thank you.  I have a group of students that are convinced that enlightenment is when you stop thinking, so I have asked various differerent people, just so I can honestly say, look, don't just believe me, believe these other 5 awake people.  Seeking a balance between a quiet mind and creative mind seems useful, but it doesn't ultimately matter.  Nothing does. I did go through a phase of it making no sense to pursue anything at all, but it passed into following my heart.  A life without passion is rather dull.

59 minutes ago, EmptinessDncing said:

Thank you.  I have a group of students that are convinced that enlightenment is when you stop thinking, so I have asked various differerent people, just so I can honestly say, look, don't just believe me, believe these other 5 awake people.  

Heh. It is a little knotty. The seeker has to stop the mind to clear away the veiling of true identity.

But once that has been seen, one definition of enlightenment might be the recognition that even thought is understood to be non-thought. 

And then a third twist: a quiet mind is in fact more "pleasurable." But that doesn’t matter to enlightenment, and anyhow there is no one there to make the 'decision' one way or the other about whether to pursue that or not.

Seeking a balance between a quiet mind and creative mind seems useful, but it doesn't ultimately matter. Nothing does. I did go through a phase of it making no sense to pursue anything at all, but it passed into following my heart. A life without passion is rather dull.

Well, the quiet, 'passionless' mind is actually not dull. It is the subtlest bliss. It may seem to do many things, or it may seem to do very little, but either way the deep inward stillness is the same. It doesn't do "in order" to escape dullness. What is its motive? Totally inscrutable.

Edited by winterknight

During my self inquiry sessions, I usually scream and cry a lot and my whole body is shaking...Did you experience that too? Is this even normal?

3 hours ago, winterknight said:

Heh. It is a little knotty. The seeker has to stop the mind to clear away the veiling of true identity.

AGREED

But once that has been seen, one definition of enlightenment might be the recognition that even thought is understood to be non-thought. 

AGREED

And then a third twist: a quiet mind is in fact more "pleasurable." But that doesn’t matter to enlightenment, and anyhow there is no one there to make the 'decision' one way or the other about whether to pursue that or not.

REALLY?  WHO DECIDES TO GET UP IN THE MORNING, OR EAT TOFU INSTEAD OF STEAK?

Well, the quiet, 'passionless' mind is actually not dull. It is the subtlest bliss. It may seem to do many things, or it may seem to do very little, but either way the deep inward stillness is the same. It doesn't do "in order" to escape dullness. What is its motive? Totally inscrutable.

MOTIVE IS A TRICKY ONE.  MOST TEACHERS AGREE THAT THERE NEEDS TO BE EGO TO TEACH.  AT LEAST INITIALLY.  THE VERY STILL MIND IS GREAT, BUT SO IS SITTING ON THE COUCH SMOKING A DOOBIE.  HERE THERE IS AN EGO MAKING A CHOICE.  AT SOME POINT THERE WAS SO MUCH APATHY THAT I DRAGGED MY ASS TO A PSYCHIC TO ASK HER WHERE I SHOULD GO, AND JUST DID THAT. WE CAN SAY IT DOESN'T MATTER, BUT NEITHER DOES CHEATING ON YOUR WIFE.  IN A 3D REALITY SENSE THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES THAT MAY NOT BE PREFERRED.  WHY DON'T YOU GO JUMP IN FRONT OF A BUS, OR RAPE AND PILLAGE?  SAME REASON I TEACH. ULTIMATELY IT IS STILL ALL SELF-SERVING, HOWEVER NON-DUAL YOUR PERSPECTIVE.

1 hour ago, cena655 said:

During my self inquiry sessions, I usually scream and cry a lot and my whole body is shaking...Did you experience that too? Is this even normal?

I didn't.  If you have done a lot of emotional release work, then that is your normal.  I've seen all sorts, whatever does it for you.  Just be aware of your Drama Queen.

Sometimes this behaviour can be externalising what cannot be internalised so is a form of resistance.  On one occasion try being with the sensations in your body as they are, rather than emoting them outwardly.  What happens?  It's a bit like the difference between dropping acid and laughing and dancing vs sitting quietly with it.  People can't meditate because they can't be still.  May be a subtle form of this.  Or not.

I've seen people shake all over and intuitively I get them going "oh my kundalini"  Drama...  It doesn't mean anything.  

@winterknight i guess thats the only thing to "do" after doing self inquiry thank you but its not that easy to just stop thinking  and letting go of pasz it will take time

6 hours ago, cena655 said:

I did not experience it. Some people say they do. I always recommend psychoanalysis or psychoanalytic psychotherapy to all serious seekers, so you might consider that as well, in case it is something else coming up that you need to deal with.

4 hours ago, EmptinessDncing said:

REALLY?  WHO DECIDES TO GET UP IN THE MORNING, OR EAT TOFU INSTEAD OF STEAK?

It cannot be said. It certainly isn't some individual person making that decision.

Actually, really, we cannot say that there is any such decision being made at all.

MOTIVE IS A TRICKY ONE.  MOST TEACHERS AGREE THAT THERE NEEDS TO BE EGO TO TEACH.  AT LEAST INITIALLY.  THE VERY STILL MIND IS GREAT, BUT SO IS SITTING ON THE COUCH SMOKING A DOOBIE.  HERE THERE IS AN EGO MAKING A CHOICE.  AT SOME POINT THERE WAS SO MUCH APATHY THAT I DRAGGED MY ASS TO A PSYCHIC TO ASK HER WHERE I SHOULD GO, AND JUST DID THAT. WE CAN SAY IT DOESN'T MATTER, BUT NEITHER DOES CHEATING ON YOUR WIFE.  IN A 3D REALITY SENSE THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES THAT MAY NOT BE PREFERRED.  WHY DON'T YOU GO JUMP IN FRONT OF A BUS, OR RAPE AND PILLAGE?  SAME REASON I TEACH. ULTIMATELY IT IS STILL ALL SELF-SERVING, HOWEVER NON-DUAL YOUR PERSPECTIVE.

The very still mind is not opposed to either smoking a doobie or teaching.

No, it is not ultimately still all self-serving no matter how non-dual the perspective, because from the truly non-dual perspective there cannot be said to be any doing happening at all. 

There is a mode of acting which is not based in the normal way of decision-making... which operates some other way. What is that way? It cannot be said. It cannot be spoken about. But things happen.

Actually -- that's the only way things ever work. The story about decision-making is just fiction.

Edited by winterknight

Is an Enlightened master stuck permanently in Awaken perspective or can they jump back to identification with Mind and Body and all the things inbetween?

I can clarify the question if needed.

32 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Is an Enlightened master stuck permanently in Awaken perspective or can they jump back to identification with Mind and Body and all the things inbetween?

I can clarify the question if needed.

There can be no jumping back to a place that doesn't exist.