winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Glad you're enjoying my blog. Yes, my book would be a good resource for beginners who are serious. It is not very large, so there's not a lot of filler, though, and so it will take some effort to think through. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Haha, what a kind offer! I hope you're supremely patient, because I am generally a very confused person. I wonder how many questions I can ask before you rescind your offer... ;) 

16 minutes ago, Kloof said:

Haha, what a kind offer! I hope you're supremely patient, because I am generally a very confused person. I wonder how many questions I can ask before you rescind your offer... ;) 

:D

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

5 hours ago, winterknight said:

But another simpler measure is this -- is there dissatisfaction or peace in your mind? If there is peace and contentment even while you are going about doing things in the world, stop inquiry. And when there is dissatisfaction or anxiety or boredom or anything like that again ("Oh, is that all there is? I thought there'd be more" --> that's dissatisfaction)... start inquiry again.

Well, but the way most people, including me, understand 'peace' and 'satisfaction', there will be a lot of times when "I" would feel at peace or satisfied.. that is, there would be a feeling of peace and satisfaction (like after achieving a goal) but there will also be an I there who is enjoying it. What should I do in this situation?

@winterknight Also, the sense of I Am with open eyes is often 'I am the one looking out of these eyes' . It is a little difficult to say 'but i cant be it because i am experiencing this' because I actually cannot see behind my eyes. You know what i mean? 

1 hour ago, graded24 said:

Well, but the way most people, including me, understand 'peace' and 'satisfaction', there will be a lot of times when "I" would feel at peace or satisfied.. that is, there would be a feeling of peace and satisfaction (like after achieving a goal) but there will also be an I there who is enjoying it. What should I do in this situation?

After the peace of achieving a goal it is only a temporary peace that is contrasted with the extreme agitation that came right before.

That is not the peace we are talking about. There is a peace of the mind's own nature that comes from inquiry into the I. If that is the peace you experience, you can simply quietly, calmly, relax your mind in it.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

1 hour ago, graded24 said:

@winterknight Also, the sense of I Am with open eyes is often 'I am the one looking out of these eyes' . It is a little difficult to say 'but i cant be it because i am experiencing this' because I actually cannot see behind my eyes. You know what i mean? 

Behind your eyes? What does that have to do with anything? You experience your vision -- thus your vision cannot be you.

"I am the one looking out of these eyes" is just words -- that statement is not the source of your certainty that you exist.

It's not like you say "Oh, there is vision, therefore I must be the one looking out of these eyes, therefore I am." That's not what happens.

You know that "I am" in a way that is far more simple and direct than all that, that doesn't require logic.

It is that feeling of certainty that "I am" that you should be trying to grasp. 

That is the point of self-inquiry -- to hone in on the source of that certainty. 

4 minutes ago, winterknight said:

After the peace of achieving a goal it is only a temporary peace that is contrasted with the extreme agitation that came right before.

Is it fair to refer to that type of peace as "relief"?

18 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Behind your eyes? What does that have to do with anything? You experience your vision -- thus your vision cannot be you.

"I am the one looking out of these eyes" is just words -- that statement is not the source of your certainty that you exist.

It's not like you say "Oh, there is vision, therefore I must be the one looking out of these eyes, therefore I am." That's not what happens.

You know that "I am" in a way that is far more simple and direct than all that, that doesn't require logic.

It is that feeling of certainty that "I am" that you should be trying to grasp. 

That is the point of self-inquiry -- to hone in on the source of that certainty. 

thanks, got it! 

Just wanted to say that your list here https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2017/10/17/four-mistakes-people-make-when-engaged-in-self-inquiry 

helped me a lot. I think i was making the 4th mistake. I have a clearer picture of the process now. 

45 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Is it fair to refer to that type of peace as "relief"?

yup, sounds fair

27 minutes ago, graded24 said:

thanks, got it! 

Just wanted to say that your list here https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2017/10/17/four-mistakes-people-make-when-engaged-in-self-inquiry 

helped me a lot. I think i was making the 4th mistake. I have a clearer picture of the process now. 

excellent...

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

excellent...

Could you please elaborate on #3 in https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2017/10/17/four-mistakes-people-make-when-engaged-in-self-inquiry ?

Do you mean distractions in the short term like 'oh i need to work, i am lagging behind' Or 'i should be exercising, i am getting fat' etc. With all these thoughts one can respond with 'who is it thats getting fat' , or actually get up and exercise and continue the self inquiry as well. 

Or did you mean distractions of in the long term like changing jobs, wanting to get married etc?

This very well may have been asked already, but why do we identify with our particular egos? Why am I (seemingly) me rather than someone or something else? Karma? Infinite free will and this is what was chosen? 

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

6 minutes ago, graded24 said:

Could you please elaborate on #3 in https://www.siftingtothetruth.com/blog/2017/10/17/four-mistakes-people-make-when-engaged-in-self-inquiry ?

Do you mean distractions in the short term like 'oh i need to work, i am lagging behind' Or 'i should be exercising, i am getting fat' etc. With all these thoughts one can respond with 'who is it thats getting fat' , or actually get up and exercise and continue the self inquiry as well. 

Or did you mean distractions of in the long term like changing jobs, wanting to get married etc?

Anything that pulls you away from inquiry, that distracts you from it. That could be a thought/feeling either about the short- or long-term. As you say, you could respond to any thought that distracts from inquiry with either

a) "who is it that has that thought" or

b) by addressing the thought in some way -- seeing what it's getting at. It might be doing the action (e.g. exercising) that seems connected with it, or it simply might be exploring what the feeling is -- what desire you might not be admitting to yourself, or trauma that you are not dealing with, etc.

The first approach might work with minor or trivial thoughts, but the second approach needs to be used for more emotional thoughts, or thoughts/feelings that keep recurring, etc.

4 minutes ago, InfinitePotential said:

This very well may have been asked already, but why do we identify with our particular egos? Why am I (seemingly) me rather than someone or something else? Karma? Infinite free will and this is what was chosen? 

Investigate and you will see that "you" are not in fact "yourself" -- at least, not the yourself that you think you are.

4 minutes ago, John Iverson said:

How deep your enlightenment is? :D

Enlightenment has no depth.

6 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Investigate and you will see that "you" are not in fact "yourself" -- at least, not the yourself that you think you are.

Yes but (correct me if I’m wrong) even with enlightenment there are experiences, sensations, thoughts feelings perceptions etc... Why these particular sensations? This particular human body in the middle of the visual field, this particular life? (Conventionally speaking) it seems like “my” life could have been absolutely any other kind of experience than what it is. Even unimaginable, totally alien experiences we don’t have words for. How is the infinity of possible realities being... “chosen”... or manifested in this present moment. Why this particular flavor of Reality? Why am I making these distinctions of The Absolute rather than other ones?

@winterknight every day i try to follow your advice on self inquiry whatever i am doing there is question where is “I Am” feeling and wondering what i am discarding all that i am aware of , after that i feel very aware but also frustrated without questions left wondering wtf should happen next is that wrong ?

10 minutes ago, InfinitePotential said:

Yes but (correct me if I’m wrong) even with enlightenment there are experiences, sensations, thoughts feelings perceptions etc... Why these particular sensations? This particular human body in the middle of the visual field, this particular life? (Conventionally speaking) it seems like “my” life could have been absolutely any other kind of experience than what it is. Even unimaginable, totally alien experiences we don’t have words for. How is the infinity of possible realities being... “chosen”... or manifested in this present moment. Why this particular flavor of Reality? Why am I making these distinctions of The Absolute rather than other ones?

Yes, I understand the question you are asking, and it is based on a misconception. No, with enlightenment there cannot be said to be "experiences, sensations, thoughts, feelings, etc." 

That seems like nonsense to you now, but get there and you'll understand. The question you are asking is within a frame of reference that is incorrect. When you see that, the question will dissolve.

As your question is framed now, the only possible answer is: God might know, but no one else can or does.

9 minutes ago, SriBhagwanYogi said:

@winterknight every day i try to follow your advice on self inquiry whatever i am doing there is question where is “I Am” feeling and wondering what i am discarding all that i am aware of , after that i feel very aware but also frustrated without questions left wondering wtf should happen next is that wrong ?

It sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

If you feel frustrated, then ask yourself who it is aware of feeling frustrated. "I am," right? Feel that I am and try to find out where that feeling is coming from.

(And next time, can you separate your sentences out, please? It is hard to read and understand what you are asking otherwise.)

Edited by winterknight

3 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Yes, I understand the question you are asking, and it is based on a misconception. No, with enlightenment there cannot be said to be "experiences, sensations, thoughts, feelings, etc." 

That seems like nonsense to you now, but get there and you'll understand. The question you are asking is within a frame of reference that is incorrect. When you see that, the question will dissolve.

As your question is framed now, the only possible answer is: God might know, but no one else can or does.

Awesome, thank you! 

Does enlightenment help with emotional mastery? I want to deal with criticisms, bullies, and trolls without letting them control my emotions.

Edited by CreamCat

22 minutes ago, CreamCat said:

Does enlightenment help with emotional mastery? I want to deal with criticisms, bullies, and trolls without letting them control my emotions.

Will becoming a Navy SEAL help you defend yourself against the neighborhood bully?

Edited by winterknight

23 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Will becoming a Navy SEAL help you defend yourself against the neighborhood bully?

Probably not because most bullies just use words and not fists and you cant just go around beating the shit out of every bully who makes fun of you.  Glad I could finally answer one of your questions for you, now its mutual

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows