winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Karas said:

I am looking for your view on these phenomenas

There's no single view on these phenomena. It depends on context.

Why is answering this question important to your spiritual search? Why is a scientific answer not enough?

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

Because I have direct experience with this phenomena and science can't cover it directly. I assume that this experiences create my ego .

3 minutes ago, Karas said:

Because I have direct experience with this phenomena and science can't cover it directly. I assume that this experiences create my ego .

It is not your feelings & senses which create your ego, but your thoughts about your feelings and senses, the thoughts that hide your true Self from yourself. Follow the links I gave above if you want to see my views on how to find this for yourself.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

When doing self inquiry aren't we thinking ego continuously 

Just now, Karas said:

When doing self inquiry aren't we thinking ego continuously 

You are inquiring into the I, but that does not strengthen the ego. It weakens it, because it shows it does not exist.

Something I've always been confused about. When I have an operation, and am under anesthesia, there seems to be no self. There is no perception, no concept of passage of time, just nothingness. From the time I go under, to the time I wake up many hours later, there is just nothing. So shouldn't the Self still be experiencing and perceiving during that time? Could you please try and explain this. 

Just now, Jed Vassallo said:

Something I've always been confused about. When I have an operation, and am under anesthesia, there seems to be no self. There is no perception, no concept of passage of time, just nothingness. From the time I go under, to the time I wake up many hours later, there is just nothing. So shouldn't the Self still be experiencing and perceiving during that time? Could you please try and explain this. 

It's just like deep sleep. The Self is experiencing -- experiencing unconsciousness. That is what it is perceiving.

One time in my retreat, I was experiencing the pain in my body which come out of nowhere and as I experienced that I'm like the flashlight which I can control. I can widen the light to feel the sensations in my body, or I can focus that light in one spot. Am I experience the true Self?? Thank you

I know you are right. I have relied on thinking throughout this entire process, but thinking has taken me as far as it can. I am trying to think less as I contemplate. This task of self inquiry gets my mind swirling to the point where I get headaches just from trying to get my head around it. But even so, the last insight and recognition that "I" is either everything or nothing (God), did appear to open a door to something that I hadn't been aware of before.

I will keep working at it. As the little "i", "i" feel all the pieces are in place and "i" just need to find a way to accept my Self as "I" am, and to just let go. 

5 hours ago, Thinh said:

One time in my retreat, I was experiencing the pain in my body which come out of nowhere and as I experienced that I'm like the flashlight which I can control. I can widen the light to feel the sensations in my body, or I can focus that light in one spot. Am I experience the true Self?? Thank you

No. That's just your sense that you are the attention-paying mind. Anything where you feel that "I can do this" (like "I can widen the light) -- is not the true Self.

37 minutes ago, Bauer1977 said:

I know you are right. I have relied on thinking throughout this entire process, but thinking has taken me as far as it can. I am trying to think less as I contemplate. This task of self inquiry gets my mind swirling to the point where I get headaches just from trying to get my head around it. But even so, the last insight and recognition that "I" is either everything or nothing (God), did appear to open a door to something that I hadn't been aware of before.

I will keep working at it. As the little "i", "i" feel all the pieces are in place and "i" just need to find a way to accept my Self as "I" am, and to just let go. 

Headaches? You need to stop trying to get new "insights." You are fighting like hell to keep thinking -- to stop seeing the most obvious and simple thing, which is what remains when you stop thinking.

Stop trying to "think" about what the I is and just hold the feeling of the I... when I say that, I just mean -- literally say "I" to yourself and whatever that feels like, stop thinking about what it is. Concentrate on that feeling without thinking anymore.