winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@Bauer1977 gotcha?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I think I got idea how to embody nothing  and clear mind from everything, I though it will be harder , because you have to clear image of image, thought of thought , basically kill everything till this overwhelming sensation starts to rise , but I did not go all way , I just do not feel like going that road as of this moment.

Ohh right, you also start to fell as of passing out, it is really hard to explain.  

Edited by purerogue

6 hours ago, winterknight said:

Yes, don't surrender if you don't feel like surrendering. Instead, relentlessly self-inquire into who wants to surrender. Who is it that is trying to surrender?

I contemplated on the source of my certainty that I exist for several hours. The truth is that I could not find one. I do not have a feeling of certainty that I exist. In fact, the only proof I could find that I do exist is the awareness I had of my own search. Either that is the solution to the riddle, or I am doing it wrong..... 

I feel this went as it was supposed to go. There was a feeling of a higher understanding at this realization of sorts, but nothing significant occurred with this result. Do I keep repeating the process over and over until Ego breaks down? I Am just really unsure how this is all supposed to come together at this point.

Edited by Bauer1977

3 hours ago, Bauer1977 said:

I contemplated on the source of my certainty that I exist for several hours. The truth is that I could not find one. I do not have a feeling of certainty that I exist. In fact, the only proof I could find that I do exist is the awareness I had of my own search. Either that is the solution to the riddle, or I am doing it wrong..... 

I feel this went as it was supposed to go. There was a feeling of a higher understanding at this realization of sorts, but nothing significant occurred with this result. Do I keep repeating the process over and over until Ego breaks down? I Am just really unsure how this is all supposed to come together at this point.

It's really good that you tried for several hours. It does take practice. Keep practicing -- determine that you will practice however long it takes -- it may take weeks or months.

The fact that you call it a "riddle" suggests to me that you are again using too much thinking. Your thinking mind is confusing you like crazy.

But look at your own language: "contemplated on the source of my certainty that I exist." "could not find one." "do not have a feeling of certainty that I exist."

Do you not see how these very statements embody that very certainty that you say you cannot find?

Who is that "I" you're referring to?

You do have that certainty. You've just mentioned it several times! It's not something mystical or hard to find or far away. It's not a trick question. You do know that you seem to be looking at this screen right now, reading these words. 

Now, where is that knowledge coming from? Take the awareness you mention "of my own search." How do you know that you're aware? Who is aware of that?

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

On 11/29/2018 at 9:48 PM, winterknight said:

(sorry can't delete the quote box, it's a phone bug) 

@winterknight was there a point in your illusionary self-inquiry journey, where this feeling of me became to be more than the body, more than objects and people around you, more than your surroundings, the world itself, the universe,  reality itself.... 

And did you have a drive to get to that point just so you can inquire it? 

Also, it seems that the point of self inquiry is to live in (or at least come to) the paradox of : that's me because it's in my awareness, and it'snot me because it's in my awareness. 

Can you explain again to me why it's the not me, it's because all of those things are only thoughts, and there is no thinker of thoughts? 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

4 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

(sorry can't delete the quote box, it's a phone bug) 

@winterknight was there a point in your illusionary self-inquiry journey, where this feeling of me became to be more than the body, more than objects and people around you, more than your surroundings, the world itself, the universe,  reality itself.... 

And did you have a drive to get to that point just so you can inquire it? 

There is that "point," of course. If you're at that point there will be no need to "inquire" because there is no "I" to need or perform such inquiry. 

It is only when you seem to fall away from it that there is a need to inquire to re-realize that truth.

Eventually you will realize it's not a point but simply the constant changeless Truth, and always has been.

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight sorry, I edited my post i guess after you were answering... 

Also, it seems that the point of self inquiry is to live in (or at least come to) the paradox of : that's me because it's in my awareness, and it's not me because it's in my awareness. 

Can you explain again to me why it's the not me, it's because all of those things are only thoughts, and there is no thinker of thoughts? I see thoughts as an interpretation of reality. Which means everything I experience, which are only thoughts, are only an interpretation and therefore not 'it' 

19 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@winterknight sorry, I edited my post i guess after you were answering... 

Also, it seems that the point of self inquiry is to live in (or at least come to) the paradox of : that's me because it's in my awareness, and it's not me because it's in my awareness. 

Can you explain again to me why it's the not me, it's because all of those things are only thoughts, and there is no thinker of thoughts? I see thoughts as an interpretation of reality. Which means everything I experience, which are only thoughts, are only an interpretation and therefore not 'it' 

Whether it's me or not me in the ultimate equation -- that is, philosophically, intellectually -- doesn't matter. 

The game of self-inquiry is quite simple. You already have this thing called "I" that you know you are. We're trying to find out what it is, this idea that we use so casually and constantly and that we feel to be so obvious and certain.

For the purposes of locating that I feeling, we say that everything you see is not you, because that "I" feeling implies that separation between "I" and "everything that I perceive/think/experience."

When you look at a table you don't feel "I am that table." You feel there's this thing called "I" and then... there's that table. Even if you tell yourself intellectually "we're all part of the same universe or whatever" -- that doesn't relate to the feeling that we're trying to hone in on. 

So given all that -- "what do I mean by I? What is this feeling called I?" That's the game.

So it's not really about "living in a paradox"... that is all intellectual. There is a direct recognition that will resolve that paradox.

Edited by winterknight

@winterknight thanks so much... I've been doing lots of 'check - ins' throughout the day and in formal sittings (which unfortunately never last long)...  I suppose this is just something that cultivates over time. 

I'll say that I'm looking for the feeling of me, but it really just feels like I'm getting in the present moment, which is something this mind is definitely not used to... I'll notice my breath and try to keep them slow and deep, which seems to help me center on this feeling of being me, right here, right now, experiencing this moment. Then I say : "this is not me, this is a thought of me." 

Does this sound like good practice? I keep expecting this strong feeling of me, to be located somewhere in the body like the head or chest, but it's more of a subtle thing, huh? 

12 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@winterknight thanks so much... I've been doing lots of 'check - ins' throughout the day and in formal sittings (which unfortunately never last long)...  I suppose this is just something that cultivates over time. 

I'll say that I'm looking for the feeling of me, but it really just feels like I'm getting in the present moment, which is something this mind is definitely not used to... I'll notice my breath and try to keep them slow and deep, which seems to help me center on this feeling of being me, right here, right now, experiencing this moment. Then I say : "this is not me, this is a thought of me." 

Does this sound like good practice? I keep expecting this strong feeling of me, to be located somewhere in the body like the head or chest, but it's more of a subtle thing, huh? 

Sure, it's the start of a good practice. It's not that you'll find anything like a strong or a subtle feeling. That's the point, actually. Don't clog up your mind with these expectations of what you'll find. 

You know that you are, right now, don't you? Do you or don't you know that you're reading these words, right now? You do, right?

That's the feeling. That's all. That. Just as simple as that. What is that? Focus on it.

@winterknight Can you explain how all suffering is illusion? I don't understand how it can be so convincingly REAL, and yet according to people like you, it is not really real. Sorry if this has already been answered.

5 minutes ago, EvilAngel said:

@winterknight Can you explain how all suffering is illusion? I don't understand how it can be so convincingly REAL, and yet according to people like you, it is not really real. Sorry if this has already been answered.

It might help if you try and define suffering, and where it comes from and how it's experienced 

1 minute ago, seeking_brilliance said:

It might help if you try and define suffering, and where it comes from and how it's experienced 

Suffering is just, like, a pain in the body...like a visceral feeling in the nervous system. 

8 minutes ago, EvilAngel said:

Suffering is just, like, a pain in the body...like a visceral feeling in the nervous system. 

What is pain? Does anything actually hurt? Or does the nerve signal that is triggered only  signal a thought that there is pain? If there were no nerve endings, there would be no signal to signal a thought of pain. You see this in people who have problems with that from damage or born that way. 

All suffering, whether physical or emotional, is a thought. Nothing more. Now are thoughts real? That's a different subject and for you to decide. 

7 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

What is pain? Does anything actually hurt? Or is the nerve signal that is triggered only  signal a thought that there is pain? If there were no nerve endings, there would be no signal to signal a thought of pain. You see this in people who have problems with that from damage or born that way. 

All suffering, whether physical or emotional, is a thought. Nothing more. Now are thoughts real? That's a different subject and for you to decide. 

Thanks, that helps. 

Hello Leo..

Can I ask a favor if possible please?

If accepted by him, I think it would be great if you can have an interview with Winterknight like the one you did with Peter Ralston.

I have watched your interview with Peter Ralston over and over and I had gained many conceptual insights.

I think an interview with Winterknight can be a very valuable source for us seekers.

Thank you.

I have a problem , after my yesterdays experience of trying to clear my mind of everything, I am starting to feel these strange sensation that I will float away, have you experienced anything like that. 

3 hours ago, EvilAngel said:

Imagine you're watching a movie. You get really into it. The hero is about to get killed by the vllain... you're scared for him... and the person next to coughs, and suddenly -- you realize you're in the theater. The movie still seems to be going on. But you realize it's not real.

It's sort of like that. Not exactly, but sort of. 

A second way of thinking about it: Suffering comes from the story we tell about the meaning of pain, a story that is built around our personal identity. The pain matters because it could hurt us. But who is this "us" that it is hurting? When we get in touch with something deeper than what we think we are, that story falls apart -- is meaningless. It's more than meaningless, in fact: it might even be transformed into something beautiful, since it cannot harm us. It becomes this interesting sensation.

45 minutes ago, purerogue said:

I have a problem , after my yesterdays experience of trying to clear my mind of everything, I am starting to feel these strange sensation that I will float away, have you experienced anything like that. 

Yes, something like that could be connected to letting go of the ego, even for a short period of time. But don't read too much into these experiences, and don't feel the need to understand them, unless they bother you over and over again or for a long period of time.

Experiences like these are not critical to the goal of the spiritual search.