winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@winterknight  It is very tempting to self-inquire while going to sleep (on the bed), because, well, you are relaxed and eyes are closed ..but also it stops other thoughts which makes me fall asleep. I can 'let go' while falling asleep more than any other time of the day because i literally have nothing else to do. So i can sink pretty deep (before i actually fall asleep)
But it leads to a very restless, erratic sleep as if i am half awake the whole time. But worse, i often wake up in the middle, sometimes 2 or 3 times, with existential thoughts/feelings running around. So i dont really feel rested the next day. 
When i fall asleep watching netflix or something i have a better sleep and usually directly wake up in the morning. 

What would you recommend? Should i self inquire while going to sleep ?

as an example, Ufo's are might be other kind of consciouscness form, and if so, how many lives would you consider we need to live as a body in order to change for another kind of physical experience? 

(asking this in the perspective of, that being enlightened might be experienced in a different way if we were just another kind of thing)

@winterknight  In the famous buddhist meditation guide book, The Mind Illuminated, the authors say that advanced meditators experience the mind-body-world as a series discrete frames and not as one continuous happening. As in, the experience appears 'on the screen' one moment at a time, like in the attached image. 
Is it the same with you?    

moments.png

8 minutes ago, graded24 said:

@winterknight  It is very tempting to self-inquire while going to sleep (on the bed), because, well, you are relaxed and eyes are closed ..but also it stops other thoughts which makes me fall asleep. I can 'let go' while falling asleep more than any other time of the day because i literally have nothing else to do. So i can sink pretty deep (before i actually fall asleep)
But it leads to a very restless, erratic sleep as if i am half awake the whole time. But worse, i often wake up in the middle, sometimes 2 or 3 times, with existential thoughts/feelings running around. So i dont really feel rested the next day. 
When i fall asleep watching netflix or something i have a better sleep and usually directly wake up in the morning. 

What would you recommend? Should i self inquire while going to sleep ?

When you inquire into the Self, you will encounter inner resistance, because the inquiry threatens to dissolve the personal identity. That sounds like what you're encountering now. 

What this means is that your inquiry has not been pushed far enough yet, but maybe you are not ready to go further. Maybe you have doubts about the path. Maybe you don't want to go forward for one reason or another.

You need to ask yourself what fears may be holding you back and see if you can address them. Do not push yourself to go further than you are comfortable with.

This language about "sinking deep" struck me as odd. There's no "depth" involved here. Any time there are "degrees," that is a sign of the ego. You are simply trying to locate that "I am" sense -- the most obvious possible thing that you know every second. When that inquiry falls away of itself, peace results. There's no depth in that. Don't try to psych yourself into thinking you're accessing all these weird "deep" states. Those are all illusion. 

Finally, also ask yourself this: who is it precisely who is disturbed by this? And who really decides these questions of what to do next? Is that you?

35 minutes ago, oMarcos said:

as an example, Ufo's are might be other kind of consciouscness form, and if so, how many lives would you consider we need to live as a body in order to change for another kind of physical experience? 

(asking this in the perspective of, that being enlightened might be experienced in a different way if we were just another kind of thing)

UFOs and humans are both illusion. Find out who you really are and you will find that neither exist.

9 minutes ago, graded24 said:

@winterknight  In the famous buddhist meditation guide book, The Mind Illuminated, the authors say that advanced meditators experience the mind-body-world as a series discrete frames and not as one continuous happening. As in, the experience appears 'on the screen' one moment at a time, like in the attached image. 
Is it the same with you?    

moments.png

That's from the mind's standpoint, i.e. it's wrong, or at best an approximation. The truth is that it's all blank non-perceiving, even the various images.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

On 10/11/2018 at 7:18 AM, winterknight said:

Neither you nor I came into being.

We are both nothing but the Self, that which is beyond all dualities and which cannot be described. Yet, since we are trying: it is the complete, perfect,  unchanging ever-present which knows itself by itself.

You said we are all "self".  Who created this self ? Is there a creator ? 

Just now, Shan said:

You said we are all "self".  Who created this self ? Is there a creator ? 

No, the Self is beyond creation and destruction and time and space. It has no beginning or end.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

On 10/11/2018 at 6:21 AM, winterknight said:

Oh, very good question. Is there something? Who says that there is something?

I am typing through a computer and I can hear noises from the outside world. You can push it all under the rug and pretend this is all an illusion but these things make "something" and it exists. How could you say none of these exist when I can see, feel, touch them ?

3 minutes ago, Shan said:

I am typing through a computer and I can hear noises from the outside world. You can push it all under the rug and pretend this is all an illusion but these things make "something" and it exists. How could you say none of these exist when I can see, feel, touch them ?

Who is this "I" that is typing through a computer? 

20 minutes ago, winterknight said:

No, the Self is beyond creation and destruction and time and space. It has no beginning or end.

Thanks but thats a strong statement. How do you know this for sure ? What if this is the ultimate trick played by your mind so you STOP seeking further?

Edited by Shan
Corrected seeking further to STOP seeking further

5 minutes ago, Shan said:

Thanks but thats a strong statement. How do you know this for sure ? What if this is the ultimate trick played by your mind so you STOP seeking further?

If you are worried about this, you need not accept it. You can find the truth out in your own experience.

Some of the Hindu swamis say there are things beyond enlightement. Like becoming immortal , travelling through time , teleportation, leaving your body and coming back to it.

Are any of these true? If not, what happens after enlightenment ? 

Edited by Shan
Improved the Question slightly.

Just now, Shan said:

Some of the Hindu swamis say there are things beyond enlightement. Like becoming immortal , travelling through time , teleportation, leaving your body and coming back to it.

Are any of these true? If not, what happens after enlightenment ? Is it just waiting for death then ?

Those are all supernatural powers, all in the realm of illusion. I don't know if they're true or not, but they're in the dream, whereas enlightenment is awakening from the dream. 

What happens "after" enlightenment is the end of suffering. What that means exactly you'll have to find out for yourself. All you have to do is to look into who is asking the question.

@winterknight 

1- you said

You are simply trying to locate that "I am" sense -- the most obvious possible thing that you know every second. When that inquiry falls away of itself, peace results. 

Can you please elaborate on the last part "When that inquiry falls away of itself" ? What does that mean really? 

I understand its a big journey to be enlighteneed and you get glimpses.  But is  there a final aha movement when becoming enlightenement ? 

Do you recommend or think its useful to use drugs like LSD or DMT are useful as part of enlightenement journey ?

Are all the lives and chores of people living in the dream bullshit and a waste of time ?

8 minutes ago, graded24 said:

"When that inquiry falls away of itself" ? What does that mean really? 

The question dissolves the questioner into it's source.The  empty,spacious,silent peace of Self.
Ime.B|

23 minutes ago, graded24 said:

@winterknight 

1- you said

Can you please elaborate on the last part "When that inquiry falls away of itself" ? What does that mean really? 

Well it's like you've been staring directly at a wall for so long you've forgotten it's there, and you're asking yourself "Where's the wall? Where's the wall?" and then suddenly -- snap! -- you realize it's right in front of you, you've been looking directly at it all this time. So the inquiry -- the questions about where the wall was -- fell away of itself.

But you can't control when & how that happens. It's like that (obviously not exactly the same, because the I is not a physical object like a wall).

It sounds like you've already experienced that to some extent. And then you seem to forget again. That's what happens, and why inquiry must be repeated.

21 minutes ago, Shan said:

I understand its a big journey to be enlighteneed and you get glimpses.  But is  there a final aha movement when becoming enlightenement ? 

Do you recommend or think its useful to use drugs like LSD or DMT are useful as part of enlightenement journey ?

Are all the lives and chores of people living in the dream bullshit and a waste of time ?

There is and isn't a final a-ha moment. The final moment is to realize you were there the whole time. Psychedelics can reveal glimpses but they are not necessary nor are they enough. As far as bullshit and a waste of time, they're no more bullshit than a movie is a waste of time just because it's fictional.

Edited by winterknight

What would be the markers in the body-mind of awakening progress?

4 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Increasing mental peace and calmness, increasing steadiness of concentration in inquiry

So what we actually should be focusing on achieving is mental peace, calmness, steadiness of concentration in inquiry?

27 minutes ago, who chit said:

The question dissolves the questioner into it's source.The  empty,spacious,silent peace of Self.
Ime.B|

I didn’t take the advaita self inquiry path, but I did through self understanding/observation see that there was only a the questioning itself the whole time. 

Then “the questioner” stoped interfering with the integrity of any particular question as a result. So there becomes the capacity to question, observe, think, without the conditioned influence of the questioner, observer, thinker. This makes for a much more coherent movement of investigation/inquiry/exploitation dudes. :D

Edited by Jack River