winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@winterknight how can you be certain you are at the peak; that you are seeing the paths up the mountain clearly. How can you be certain that you are not feeding the wheel of confusion by your attempts to undo it? How can you address ten thousand ears by one mouth without confusing, if you are lucky, all but one?

2 hours ago, graded24 said:

@winterknight 
1- Sometimes when I am looking for the "I", and can clearly see that I am not the body, thought etc.. i arrive at a weird situation because THEN it feels like the only "I" that is here is the one looking for the "I", aka the meditator. So there is an "I" as long as I am looking for it, because I, the looker, is it. So if I stop looking then there is no "I".  I dont know where to go next? 

2- In my daily life, as i continue the self-inquiry, how can i think the thoughts i need for my work and still inquire into 'who am i'? I can do one or the other

3- You say that self-inquiry leads to a I-free state and then we are to just abide there, right? But how do I know when to stop? Because even after the I-free state arrives, I can ask, 'who is experiencing this' ? Or is it that such a question wont arise naturally in an I-free state? 

2. Actually you can do both. It seems like you cannot because you are identified with the doer -- it is of course the purpose of enlightenment to see that you are not the doer.

Initially try to pay, say, 50% attention to both... and steadily more and more attention to self-inquiry and the work will still get done. Eventually what you will realize is that there is absolutely no conflict.

Or, if yo want to be a little braver, simply self-inquire -- ask yourself who is worried about the work being done? Be relentless.

3. Yes, that question will not arise. You will know it when your mind is calm, expansive, clear, and you feel a vast sense of peace, with the normal "I" totally seemingly vanished. 

12 minutes ago, Ero said:

Brother. I'm speechless. Was that analogy anything special to the seeker "winterknight"? Or did that just came up as the adequate explanation? 

Heh, I wish I could take credit. It's something Ramana Maharshi said and which resonated with me.

10 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Cool. It was like the stillness didn't care about the inquiry and let it go. My mind had an idea of what it should look like.

When you say to maintain "I" inquiry, would this include "Who/What am I?", the "I Am" and simply "I"? And when the inquiry drifts away, maintain attention on it? And if nonverbal impulses do not appear, just maintain the presence of the inquiry?

There is part of me that feels like "something" is supposed to happen with self-inquiry. Sometimes it doesn't feel like *self* inquiry because the self isn't present. It feels simply like "inquiry". That the inquiry is acting like a stillness stabilizer.

Yeah, that's totally fine. These things will happen as it becomes more habitual. The point is, as I said to graded24 above, that if you are in a state of vast, clear, peace with your eyes open and that you can continue in while you are doing other activities... no need to disturb it.

And if you "fall out of it," you will need less and less to get back. Sometimes it may be a simple word, a blink, a non-verbal flick of your mind and you will be back. Eventually not even that will be required.

7 minutes ago, WindInTheLeaf said:

@winterknight how can you be certain you are at the peak; that you are seeing the paths up the mountain clearly. How can you be certain that you are not feeding the wheel of confusion by your attempts to undo it? How can you address ten thousand ears by one mouth without confusing, if you are lucky, all but one?

How can I confuse people who are already and always where they need to be?

Edited by winterknight

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight While i was driving in bus and walking on street i started noticing how stuff moves including me(body) but if i stay as a awareness it always stays immovable and unchangable..is this a glimps into the Truth? Is it useful to do this as a form of walking meditation? I had a sense as if i enter into a timeless realm if i would have to describe it 

Edited by DecemberFlower

10 minutes ago, DecemberFlower said:

@winterknight While i was driving in bus and walking on street i started noticing how stuff moves including me(body) but if i stay as a awareness it always stays immovable and unchangable..is this a glimps into the Truth? Is it useful to do this as a form of walking meditation? I had a sense as if i enter into a timeless realm if i would have to describe it 

Yes, this is a glimpse. I would recommend RM's self-inquiry however as a more disciplined way to go about things.

10 minutes ago, Ero said:

@winterknight Idk, but that is one of the strongest visions I've had. The fun fact was that it developed over the last 6 months. This "world" around the mountain is the one, that showed me a lot of the toxicities I had. Has RM said it as "one being at the top"?Because I've seen the seeker as far as the second gate (a part of the vision - I found my meaning very close to that of the Vishnu Granthi). When first that image came to me I thought "I had to reach the mountain". But never have "I seen" the seeker reach the top. I have only the image of floating consciousness above the top, as the sun rises. Do you feel similar? 

Well, actually, there is no top, no mountain, no seeker, no path. That's the ultimate truth. All the rest are relative truths said for the benefit of seekers... (yes, the ones who don't exist) :)

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight

what constitutes as a glimpse?

would a glimpse always require a struggle of the ego prior to it? i don't think it does (for example sadhguru's story of awakening... just happened, no ego death per say - the process of requiring the death of the ego/struggle I mean) 

also. i have had a brief state in which I just WAS... i "noticed" the desire to think about the state or make a comment about it... but i just remained as that only. it was amazing... but i didn't think that would be a glimpse?

and is it also possible that the ego does not become afraid of what it has seen/witnessed? (ego only thinks it was the one who had this experieince, that i understand) but right after the glimpse, if one returns with the sense of awe and no fright. does that mean it was a glimpse too?

maybe i am paying too much attention to the fact when leo says in some of his videos that the truth will shock the shit outta you

i guess it can or can not shock the shit outta you depending on how long you been doing the work or how much you know about it?

but please do answer, the glimpse or total awakening.. once can just melt into that if they are already in tune with many of their personal level issues.. i find to be accepting whatever usually happens, tend of have few desires/choices when planning on where to go or what to do with family. i am the OKAY-with-everything guy. i am contend. i guess when one is deeply contend with what is, the truth maybe self revealed as it was to sadhruguru in the example i know of.. ( i am sure there are other infinte awakenings like that lol) hope mine is like that too (who is this "mine" which I think i am referring to) <<< who is this asker  <<< and so on :P 

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@winterknight yes, but where they are they are not at rest. If the goal is to be at rest at the top of the mountain as you say, then I believe it important to reflect on the way, especially if we act as guides that wish to help bring other selves to rest. Nothing hides truth more than the appearance of truth, and empathy better than no-self. Just try to put yourself in the shoes of a seeker and see what would be most beneficial for truth to arise, to be. I wish you would reflect on some of the things i failed to point out in the previous posts, and see if there is anything that makes sense. If not then it doesnt matter. 

19 minutes ago, SoonHei said:

@winterknight

what constitutes as a glimpse?

would a glimpse always require a struggle of the ego prior to it? i don't think it does (for example sadhguru's story of awakening... just happened, no ego death per say - the process of requiring the death of the ego/struggle I mean) 

A glimpse is when you've noticed the background peace of the mind. At the moment when you call it a glimpse it is already gone. 

also. i have had a brief state in which I just WAS... i "noticed" the desire to think about the state or make a comment about it... but i just remained as that only. it was amazing... but i didn't think that would be a glimpse?

It is... and as you saw, your noticing that desire is what threatened to interrupt it, and when you relaxed anyway, it was amazing. When you keep practicing that, you will eventually know that state is your permanent nature.

and is it also possible that the ego does not become afraid of what it has seen/witnessed? (ego only thinks it was the one who had this experieince, that i understand) but right after the glimpse, if one returns with the sense of awe and no fright. does that mean it was a glimpse too?

yes, there doesn't need to be fear.

i guess it can or can not shock the shit outta you depending on how long you been doing the work or how much you know about it?

yes.

but please do answer, the glimpse or total awakening.. once can just melt into that if they are already in tune with many of their personal level issues.. i find to be accepting whatever usually happens, tend of have few desires/choices when planning on where to go or what to do with family. i am the OKAY-with-everything guy. i am contend. i guess when one is deeply contend with what is, the truth maybe self revealed as it was to sadhruguru in the example i know of.. ( i am sure there are other infinte awakenings like that lol) hope mine is like that too (who is this "mine" which I think i am referring to) <<< who is this asker  <<< and so on  

yes, you are on your way, but if you were truly content, you would let the mind utterly relax and not even worry about awakening. the relaxed mind is the awakened mind. if you can simply relax permanently and accept whatever comes -- that is enlightenment.

but as long as these questions pull you back, you must keep putting in effort -- either to inquire into the I, or to relax and let go (as relaxation itself takes effort for the seeker). there is no shame in that. seek as long as you need. 

Edited by winterknight

17 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Yes, this is a glimpse. I would recommend RM's self-inquiry however as a more disciplined way to go about things.

Thanks:) What would happen if person with multiple personality disorder tries to awaken..would he/she had to dissolve each of present egos? That always intrigued me

1 minute ago, DecemberFlower said:

Thanks:) What would happen if person with multiple personality disorder tries to awaken..would he/she had to dissolve each of present egos? That always intrigued me

A person with MPD needs to seek psychological help first, say, via psychodynamic/psychoanalytic therapy. They will almost certainly not have the calmness and concentration of mind to pursue spiritual self-inquiry otherwise.

@winterknight thank you very much for the in-depth answer!

3 minutes ago, winterknight said:

but if you were truly content, you would let the mind utterly relax and not even worry about awakening.

i agree. i guess that's what one has to work to

for me, its like. okay, i am now content... but then how will i get up to do the work

therein lies the fine line between me and the mind/whole of maya

i can be at a distance and let it all happen

i can put a bit of effort/memory and recall that state and understand what i need to do

as you say, more and more time in this will help

thank you :)

or as mooji puts it, "marinate in that state" :) <3 

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

Are there multiple truths existing at the same time. Does enlightenment exist in the between the known and unknown? The in between where you don't try to grasp something as either? Is suffering a difficult life/suffering likely to lead to enlightenment faster than an éasy life.

More random stuff - Seen anything close to visual snow? Mr. Clean says hi.

3 minutes ago, Dogsbestfriend said:

Are there multiple truths existing at the same time. Does enlightenment exist in the between the known and unknown? The in between where you don't try to grasp something as either? Is suffering a difficult life/suffering likely to lead to enlightenment faster than an éasy life.

More random stuff - Seen anything close to visual snow? Mr. Clean says hi.

No, truth is one. Enlightenment is seeing through the illusion that it is multiple. No, you must attempt to grasp -- either through self-inquiry or surrender. Even surrender/"letting go" is grasping -- of letting go. True surrender can happen, but it is not "you" who decides when or how that will be.

Suffering is neither more nor less likely to lead to enlightenment, because the non-enlightened state is itself suffering. It's all the suffering that's required.

What is visual snow and how does Mr. Clean relate?

Edited by winterknight

But does suffering lead to it 'sooner', I see it as a catalyst for growth as it challenges you to see beyond it, or even use it when you come to realize the physical pain or suffering are just states, that don't even really exist - but they are harder to 'let go of'.

Forget the visual snow mr clean referance - they aren't related, both were a long shot.

2 minutes ago, Dogsbestfriend said:

But does suffering lead to it 'sooner', I see it as a catalyst for growth as it challenges you to see beyond it, or even use it when you come to realize the physical pain or suffering are just states, that don't even really exist - but they are harder to 'let go of'.

Yes, it depends what use you make out of suffering. Even intense suffering on a mind that is unprepared to make use of it is useless. But even small suffering on a mind that is reflective can be enough to turn it inward in search of the Self.

1 minute ago, DecemberFlower said:

@winterknight If awareness(Self) is always present why when i feel lethargic and tired it is really hard to notice it? 

At the deepest level, because you identify with the noticer, and think the Self is something to be noticed, when it is actually simply what you are.

But at a more practical level, it's because for seekers calmness of mind is what's required to inquire into the Self. Lethargy & exhaustion is a state of non-calmness. This is why a balanced life (eating moderately, sleeping moderately, etc.) is suggested for spiritual seekers. That's why I suggest other measures to ensure mental calmness.

In this case a physical condition, you make the most of what you have at your disposal. I've tried to see it i through the only positive way I can, as a challenge to grow my mind.

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

Yeah, that's totally fine. These things will happen as it becomes more habitual. The point is, as I said to graded24 above, that if you are in a state of vast, clear, peace with your eyes open and that you can continue in while you are doing other activities... no need to disturb it.

And if you "fall out of it," you will need less and less to get back. Sometimes it may be a simple word, a blink, a non-verbal flick of your mind and you will be back. Eventually not even that will be required.

When I "enter" this space during the day there is a sense of background awareness. Sort of like an observer, but not like person observer. So, perhaps an "observer + object" mindset (in which all thoughts / feelings / actions are also "objects"). Yet, it's a different essence than my full-on nondual glimpses. 

It seems there needs to be some sense of duality to operate in the world. To deal with coworkers, realize my pen is used to write, language etc. Is this a sense of "enlightened duality"? Or perhaps the final frontier is collapse of the distinction between duality and nonduality. 

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

When I "enter" this space during the day there is a sense of background awareness. Sort of like an observer, but not like person observer. So, perhaps an "observer + object" mindset (in which all thoughts / feelings / actions are also "objects"). Yet, it's a different essence than my full-on nondual glimpses. 

It seems there needs to be some sense of duality to operate in the world. To deal with coworkers, realize my pen is used to write, language etc. Is this a sense of "enlightened duality"? Or perhaps the final frontier is collapse of the distinction between duality and nonduality. 

Yes, that's still duality. Inquire into it. If there is any sense that "I have to put in effort to operate in the world because that's what the world requires" -- you need to inquire (or utterly relax and surrender). Only if you have a state where you feel totally effortless and at peace should it not be disturbed.

2 minutes ago, winterknight said:

Yes, that's still duality. Inquire into it. If there is any sense that "I have to put in effort to operate in the world because that's what the world requires" -- you need to inquire (or utterly relax and surrender). Only if you have a state where you feel totally effortless and at peace should it not be disturbed.

There are still impulses such as "I need to do xyz" , "I don't like xyz". Yet, then there is awareness of the thought without immersion into "I" storytelling. So, each time the "I" thoughts appear, you recommend doing a quick self inquiry, such as "Who is that I that needs to do xyz?" to maintain a higher level of awareness?