Annoynymous

Astrology and Horoscope

53 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

@Strikr However I did guess people's planet and house positions before, and once I did notice someone's chart was incorrect and I had to research a different hour he was born in until I got the details right, but I could only do that when I knew those persons really intimately.

Do you consider looking into someone’s Astrology an intimate endeavor? 

I’ve been on a few dates with a gal and she asked for my birth day / time to do my Astrology. I’ve never dine it before and I’m curious what the experience is like fir someone into it.

@Serotoninluv Dude! If she asked for that information she's really into you! She's curious to know more about you and about how she can please you better. Or maybe she wants to see how compatible you are. I'd say feel free to give those details to her because she might be able to make you feel really good. But only if you trust the person, cause she might find out about your weaknesses as well.

It is a believe system, just as spiral dynamics and any other model or religion. If you believe in it you will try to form experiences you perceive into the system. Like a placebo, just as with SP and any other religion. There is no objective evidence to support the system outside of ones own mind. It is a model which tries to explain a part of reality, just as with SD, by the interpretation of someone based upon his or her worldview. It stems from the ego's desire for meaning; trying to give meaning to experiences as if they exist upon themselves and there is someone who could give meaning to them. Outside of the voice in your head.

From a scientific point of view you can even prove it is utter bullshit as the gravity of the moon, as the nearest rock from the earth, doesn't even have the slightest pull on humans. The mass of humans is way to small, look up the details via Google. The moon only has a pull on Earth itself and the ocean (because it's mass is huge). So, planets further away then the moon have even less then zero effect on us.

*Probably in some time hereafter someone will come in and defend his or her believe in astrology with an argument not grounded in objective evidence. 

Edit: there are some people who made a lot of money selling it to the gullible though.

And there are a lot of people happy in believing.

Edited by Emanyalpsid

@Emanyalpsid Of course it is just a model. Every science is just a model. It's also a man-made model, and it's not perfect but no one claimed it is. Even if something is 30% true and can tell you information about something you didn't even know about, then it's pretty cool. Many people have misconceptions about how these things should work because of all the movies portraying esoterics as something really flashy and extremely fantasy-like, when it doesn't even work like that at all. And it doesn't even have to. That's just ego.

Also I see where you're coming from. There will be charlatans in every area of your life. It's easy to get lost in the age of misinformation, and most of this stuff is super flaky, but why would you throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Most people use astrology to feed their egos of how awesome their signs are anyway. 99% of people won't even tap into the practical uses of it. They don't even have to, it takes time to master it, like everything else. But it can be interesting to study for someone who is into it.

18 hours ago, Aquarius said:

@Serotoninluv Dude! If she asked for that information she's really into you! She's curious to know more about you and about how she can please you better. Or maybe she wants to see how compatible you are. I'd say feel free to give those details to her because she might be able to make you feel really good. But only if you trust the person, cause she might find out about your weaknesses as well.

Thanks! I gave her the info. She seems very caring and has mentioned compatability a few times. She said the chart was “interesting”. I see her tonight and will find out more. 

41 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

@Serotoninluv Cool have fun you guys. :) 

We spent a couple hours going over my chart. It was more complex and nuanced than I imagined. Super interesting. 

Genuine astrology and horoscope they work with needle precision, don't doubt it. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

On 10.11.2018 at 11:28 AM, Aquarius said:

@Annoynymous Common sense meaning you can sort out what is true and what isn't. Generalizations based on one aspect or sign are almost always going to be bs but if you look for precise information like exact degrees and taking in consideration multiple aspects (e.g. if you're wondering about your romantic life you don't just check venus and mars, but also their aspects, degrees, the moon's aspects, 5th and 7th house positions, etc.) And not relying 100% on astrology but seeing the whole picture. It's really easy to get dogmatic with it and also to detach from reality, for example if you only read what the interpretation says and don't explore it on a deeper level like meditating on what you just read and putting the puzzle pieces together. 

I'd even say that if you're the type of person that gets easily amazed by unusual things it is better to only start practising astrology when you're much more emotionally mature. Just a a warning that only pursue it if it truly helps your development and you won't just oversimplify it.

so you mean it’s more like a guiding system, than something that predetermines us? except for moon cycles, because they really have a major impact like weather and sun cycles?

but then i would guess that it’s kind of important to do the astrology for ourselves... if not, the interpretation of someone else might influence us like a planet or even more, therefore the magician has to be chosen wisely and even the planets are only reflectors. or is there something i‘m missing?

Edited by now is forever

I was a skeptic most of my life, but this is something I read in one of the footnotes in a book and it changed how I look at it. So for an astrology layperson like me, I'm paraphrasing it here:

In simple terms, all matter transmit energy and absorb energy. Large forms of matter like planets, transmit large amounts; smaller ones, smaller amounts. Just like the moon creates waves in the ocean, it invariably also is creating waves within us, but it's not measurable since we're too tiny (compared to the ocean). Pure metals, like gold, silver and copper tend to absorb this energy and that is why a lot of people are asked to wear pure metals on their skin. It is akin to installing a copper earthing rod near your house to protect it from lightning. Obviously how much a planet or a plant affects us or how we react to their subtle energy changes depends on how we're made or our composition- physical/mental/emotional.

I like to believe the rosy idea that I'm safe from all influences, and that my life is entirely my making, but that is just living a lie- as much a lie as in believing that I can exist without influencing anyone or anything else. 

I'd like to read some astrology books, and if someone knows where I can begin, that would be very helpful. 

@rNOW i would start to learn a language by learning to read the signs first. so i’d start with pure vocabulary.

Edited by now is forever

@now is forever Yeah it's a guiding system. And there's lots of misinformation and flaky information floating around. Like telling virgos they have OCD and telling aquarians they lack empathy. That's nonsense lol.

There are some main things that have fixed meanings, but people interpret it differently. A true astrologist will never give you black and white interpretations, but might guide you that there will be problems arising in this area or that, depending on the movement of the planets and sun in correlation to your chart (synastry? I think that's what it's called). 

Generally a person who is doing lots of energy work and is quite enlightened can be helpful to you if he is offering an astrological reading. 

I think simply calculating your chart on astrotheme, then googleing and researching extensively every aspect you see can help enormously. Then maybe if you stumble upon blogs, you can read what other people saw based on observation. Astrology evolves with society. Astrology used to be more rigid in the dark ages, and it's more flexible and positive-psychology-like in our times. 

@Aquarius thank you i find it somehow interesting. especially the symbols and maybe i‘ll have a look into how it works again. maybe not using it for psychological issues but more to understand psychodynamics i could get friends with it again. but then i would stay clear of identifying with any sign...

i believe in the self fulfilling prophecy- and that’s something very powerful and very dangerous to play with. i have more respect of that than i have respect for the possible accuracy of a reading.

Edited by now is forever

I see it like this:

All truths are true, but there are always limitations in that truth because of the nature of reality.

Astrology is one helpful tool, but it's just one of many. It's not the end-all-be-all (nothing is). 

Explore EVERYTHING. Every teaching. Every modality. They all have 1 shred of truth in them, and then over time, they become diluted because that's the nature of human beings. 

On 2018. 11. 09. at 10:00 PM, Recursoinominado said:

I always think of this as pure bullshit but recently i have find that astrological phenomena do affect us greatly. 

Yeah, I had the same, until I read some awesome stuff

@Shiva  Carl Sagen pointed out that the position of the where the doctors were standing in the room when you were born or the weight of the doctors would have more if a gravitational impact on you than where the stars or planets are in the sky. With the logic of these arguments you would have to take completely into account where certain people were standing during your birth for an accurate horoscope. 

Astrology is an outdated misunderstanding of astronomy and I have NEVER heard a single logical argument in defense of astrology. It blows my mind how seriously people take it. If you actually research astrology it pretty much debunks itself.

It seems to me like a religion for people who aren't religious or don't want to admit that the universe does not care about them individually or care about their egotistical personality which they base their life choices from.

Edit: when I say "actually research", I do not mean reading horoscopes or watching YouTube videos by astrologers.

Edited by Adodd

On 2020. 02. 25. at 6:55 PM, Adodd said:

@Shiva  Carl Sagen pointed out that the position of the where the doctors were standing in the room when you were born or the weight of the doctors would have more if a gravitational impact on you than where the stars or planets are in the sky. With the logic of these arguments you would have to take completely into account where certain people were standing during your birth for an accurate horoscope. 

Astrology is an outdated misunderstanding of astronomy and I have NEVER heard a single logical argument in defense of astrology. It blows my mind how seriously people take it. If you actually research astrology it pretty much debunks itself.

It seems to me like a religion for people who aren't religious or don't want to admit that the universe does not care about them individually or care about their egotistical personality which they base their life choices from.

Edit: when I say "actually research", I do not mean reading horoscopes or watching YouTube videos by astrologers.

To be honest I understand the point where you coming from...

There is a movie called I origin, where one of the characters makes a really interesting about playing gods with a worm.

I go like this:
If the worm does not have an eye, it can not sens the light around it. But that does not mean light is not there. It just can't sens it .
To make it connect to the topic, I sometimes feel, that not every one of us sens things. Maybe there are some people who developed some sens to understand and interpret things like holistic knowledge. Or this case a horoscope, or prediction about the future. 

I'm not saying every guru has it, but some could... Or at least I'm open to the fact that not everything that I see or feel make sens the same way as for others...

@Shiva I am a scorpio. Which means on my birthday (nov. 7) the sun rises through scorpio's constellation, scorpius. That's according to astrology but the thing is, it's false. It did thousands of years ago when people without knowledge of the stars made this stuff up but the sun only shines through Scorpius Nov. 22-29 and it's been that way since 1930. Why doesn't astrology recognize this?  Because it is made up. It's a marketing strategy based on Babylonian misunderstandings that are thousands of years old (THIS is why science doesn't like it). Astrology was the best understanding of space back than and to still call it true is to say that our understanding of the stars  hasn't evolved since(yet another reason science doesn't like it). It Is still around because "professional astrologers" have found ways to make 6 digit annual incomes with it. There is a reason horoscopes are in the same section as the funny comics. 

Edited by Adodd

@Shiva The combination of centrifugal force caused by earths spin and the moon and sun's gravity effecting the tides are not a good argument. Once again another poor argument in defense of astrology. I still haven't heard a good one.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencefocus.com/planet-earth/do-other-planets-influence-earths-tides/amp/

Read this link. Carl Sagen WAS right. 

Edited by Adodd