Merch

Prove Im not a coffe table

27 posts in this topic

In one of his videos(dont remember which one exactly) Leo sayed something like: If you are a scientificly minded person try to prove to me that you are not a coffe table.

I thought about the question, but nothing came to my mind.

To me that seems quite strange, because i dont understand why you would even assume that. I see that coffe table once in a while. Why should that be me?

I think he woudnt ask this without the question having some kind of depht to it, so please share your ideas about that question or point out the depht to it.

@Merch Look at the coffee table, then blink your eyes and notice it disappears. So obviously it only exists for you, in your mind. The coffee table must be entangled with your mind otherwise your blinking would not alter it in any way.

If you are not the coffee table how is it possible that you perceieve it?

Perhaps a better question for you to ponder is: prove that you are a body.

I dare ya ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Merch said:

To me that seems quite strange, because i dont understand why you would even assume that. I see that coffee table once in a while. Why should that be me?

The twist is that everything you see, you only see once in a while. There's not a thing that exists continously, that could be more you than the coffee table or anything really.

There is a Self, but it's not a thing.

(Experiences are also things.)

@Merch IME, it is much more difficult to have direct experience with this realization via vision. Our visual system is by far the dominant sense and is conditioned to perceive as separation.

I think it's much easier to start off with sound. Closed-eye meditation. Be aware of thoughts and sounds. Notice how they are both in your mind. They both appear in your mind. Thoughts about an upcoming birthday party appear in the same space as chirping birds. Observe closely: they both appear in the same mindspace. Your mind is conditioned to associate thoughts as "within me" and sounds as "outside of me". Let go of that and notice their similarity in your mind. . . The same can be done visually, yet I've found it *much* more challenging.

If I kick the coffee table ill hurt mytoe therefore me and the coffee table are one in absolutley nirvana and uniyty

Dont look at me! Look inside!

you can prove you are a body by trying to become a coffee table and if it is only by placing a cup on your head for some hours. or you maybe give up and conclude you are a coffee table. of course, only someone who doesn’t make a difference between a coffee table and him/her self could believe that.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Greatnestwithin said:

@Caterpillar But... I can move my ears ;)

Try to find the thing that is moving the ears.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

9 minutes ago, Shin said:

Try to find the thing that is moving the ears.

@Shin found nothing :D

Edited by Greatnestwithin

On 11/5/2018 at 2:46 PM, Leo Gura said:

Perhaps a better question for you to ponder is: prove that you are a body.

If you hit me with a baseball bat, it will hurt me. If you hit a coffee table, it will not hurt me. 

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

@Gabriel Antonio Why does feeling imply identity? Who decided that? A paralyzed person still exist doesnt he?

41 minutes ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

If I you hit me with a baseball bat, it will hurt me. If you hit a coffee table, it will not hurt me. 

if someone hit you with a baseball bat it would really hurt me. if you would hit a coffee table with a baseball bat it would really hurt me aswell.

(depends on the coffee table and the context)

Edited by now is forever

1 hour ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

If I you hit me with a baseball bat, it will hurt me. If you hit a coffee table, it will not hurt me. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Antonio said:

Replace «coffee table» with «my car»

And let's see if that logic still holds.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Hahaha 

If someone stabs your mother with a machete it will hurt you more than you ever been hurt in your life. 

Edited by Rilles

what a mindfuck rollercoaster :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I looked at my finger and a thought told me it was there, I looked at the coffee table and a thought told me it was there

I thought about my finger and another thought about my finger appeared, I thought about the coffee table and another thought about the coffee table appeared.

I thought about moving my finger and a chain of actions moved my finger, I thought about moving the coffee table and a chain of action moved the coffee table

Something pinched my finger and a feeling let me know something, Something scratched the coffee table and a feeling let me know something

Someone ate the table when I wasn't looking and ummm that was the end of that. Someone ate my finger when I wasn't looking and ummmm it hurt a lot, I stuck another finger up his/her arsehole in revenge, and my brain had made a note to make sure people don't eat your fingers when you are not looking.... but deep down, behind the disappointment... the thing that perceived all of that in a zero dimension way was totally unaffected and was still perceiving.

Someone ate me... and well it lots of feeling produced lots of thoughts during the eat and then, well, I'm not sure.... maybe my perception stopped, maybe the I stopped. maybe I was everything anyway, maybe I wasn't anything in the first place.

... frozen

@Merch you can likely generate an infinite number of proofs which prove that you are a coffee table and you can also likely generate an infinite number of proofs which prove that you are not a coffee table.

As a quick digression, the word "infinite" as I have used it is synonymous with the idea that "at all times, more can be generated". Infinity isn't a number. E. G. We have an infinite number of numbers between 1 and 2. Just consider this list of numbers: 1, 1.01, 1.001, 1.0001, 1.00001..... The list can go on forever. No matter how may numbers I write down, I can always generate a new number because of how mathematics as a language has been defined. Infinity is like a property of the language that is mathematics, in this context. 

In order for us to make any truth claims or chains of reasoning, we have to start off with baseless assumptions and axioms. By arbitrarily changing your axioms and assumptions you have created a new perspective on reality. There are a practically infinite number of perspectives then, and an infinite number of proofs that you can generate. For example, Mathematicians generally share the same set of axioms and assumptions as other mathematicians. It is because of this that you have this massive body of knowledge, discovery and research. However, all of this knowledge rests upon foundations which are completely baseless in nature. For me to make any of the claims in these sentences I type to you right now requires baseless assumptions. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.