youngshinzen

I want to focus my life on the absolute

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I‘m 26, currently finishing my masters degree in logistics and planning on what to focus my life on as I‘m mostly avoiding to do the work for the subject I‘m studying. 

The only moments that “fulfilled“ me in life were two mystical experiences, both brought absolute clarity, which is the most meaningful thing for me to strive for.

The experiences helped to surrender to and dive into being alone and my natural self. But I‘m also not doing anything concentrated. I want to have a laser focus on something.

Today I thought that noticing the breath not only during meditation but whenever I remember to do so would be one focused thing to do. But what would be a life path to improve chances of absolute clarity? One option would be living in a zen monastery, but I feel like the modern lifestyle would be missing. 

What are possible ways and careers to have the best of both worlds and work passionately on raising consciousness?

Thanks in advance.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, youngshinzen said:

What are possible ways and careers to have the best of both worlds and work passionately on raising consciousness?

This is the golden question my friend and all of us are on this forum trying to turn the wrench on ourselves to make this come to fruition. If you haven't taken the life purpose course yet, I'd drop everything you are doing and complete it.

As far as raising your consciousness, life never ceases to give you opportunities to raise your consciousness. Life will inevitably hand you a shit sandwich that you have to eat and so you will have an opportunity to raise your consciousness and enjoy eating it or get resentful for it. 

Im in the same boat. Thinking of volunteering at one of many Vipassana centres to see what monastic life feels like. 

@Equanimitize Should I test myself by eating a real shit sandwich??

@SaltyMeatballs That‘s a great idea, I was at a yoga centre but I like the simple zen way more. Vipassana is more zen like and I heard they have good food? When will you do this?

@youngshinzen Sometime next year. I've been thinking about becoming a monk for the last 2-3 yrs. But fear of being judged by others, and leaving my job has held me back. I'm only 22. 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:42 PM, youngshinzen said:

One option would be living in a zen monastery, but I feel like the modern lifestyle would be missing. 

1. Eliminate the desire to live "the modern lifestyle". You're settling for crumbs when you could have the whole. Renunciation isn't a sacrifice. It's a gain. Until you get that change in motivation from 'I'm going to renounce the world' to 'I want God and I'm willing to subject myself to whatever the demands are for realizing that,' you will not succeed. Don't renounce or anything like that until you get this paradigm shift. You're just going to fuck yourself over and put yourself into a situation you can't handle. 
  2. Personally I'm not that drawn to being in a monastery. I'm more drawn and inspired by monks and yogis who went out on their own such as Om Swami, Ryokan, Buddha, Ramana Maharshi. Also, understand that most people even in monasteries aren't actually enlightened or at best, all that enlightened. I've met monks at the San Francisco Zen Center who've been practicing for 40 years and they're not even at No-Self and some haven't even had an awakening! I personally don't do well in some ordered system as I can see the traps and limitations in my own growth and development by following blind orthodoxy. 

If you're still being driven by fear, you're not ready. Move up Maslow's Hierarchy and cover your base desires and get them handled before you transcend them. 

Read the monk memoir in Leo's booklist in the Consciousness/Enlightenment section.  

Solid advice.  Sounds like it could be one of your strengths...?  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@kieranperez I mostly have a drive towards the absolute instead of running away from the environment I live in, but I will look into that more deeply. The last deep experience is years away and I can just assume the worth this work has, so there‘s still a feeling of freedom when i think of buying healthy food in the store, going out with friends, making music and so on.

@Strikr Hard for me to see what would not be egoic, can you tell me?

@Matt23 Who is that adressed to?

1 hour ago, youngshinzen said:

@kieranperez I mostly have a drive towards the absolute instead of running away from the environment I live in, but I will look into that more deeply. The last deep experience is years away and I can just assume the worth this work has, so there‘s still a feeling of freedom when i think of buying healthy food in the store, going out with friends, making music and so on.

@Strikr Hard for me to see what would not be egoic, can you tell me?

@Matt23 Who is that adressed to?

Yeah I don’t know you so I can’t make that call or judgement. In the end, only you can. Just be wise about it. I actually sometimes feel it’s worth doing 5-MeO to really get a palpable direct sense of what I’m really after and know directly why I’m doing this.

Also though, don’t expect enlightenment to change you (self structure - patterns of relating to people, lying, manipulating, compassion, even emotional patterns). Deep understanding of the Truth and change are 2 different endeavors and often times, you need both. Knowing the “mechanics” of who and what you are and all of reality, God, existence is really doesn’t change you. Read the 5th book in Leo’s Booklist in the consciousness and Enlightenment section for more about that.

Edited by kieranperez

same boat aswell, everyday I try to move my career more and more towards focusing on absolute reality.