seeking_brilliance

Talking to dream characters

18 posts in this topic

When I get lucid, one of my favorite things to do is find a random dream character to engage conversation with, ask pre-selected questions, or just to see what random things they may respond with.

Their answers range from hilarious to downright creepy. As if sometimes they don't want to be engaged, and sometimes you find a real talker. Sometimes they become withdrawn and irritated, and sometimes they are very exuberant and open. Kind of sounds like Samuel in real life, but that's not where this post is going... 

There are different experiments you can do while engaging in conversation with dream characters:

•     Using it as direct communication with your subconscious, asking questions that may be revealing to certain topic you are working on in personal development.
  • Play around with their sense of existence. This one is very intriguing to me, because often times when pointing out that this is just a dream, or that this is not real, many dream characters lash out and assure you that it is. There are cases of dream characters saying things like,  "I'm dreaming you." But these are less common, from what I have read. I have personally experienced the Angst when revealing the illusion to a dream character, and I have also had others agree with me that it is a dream. One thing I struggle with is do my dream characters, my creations(as I assume them to be) , truly think they are real? Or is it just a bunch of false memories implanted into them when needed.
  •  Just to laugh and see what wacky and sometimes creepy things your  sub conscious may spit out at you when asking dream characters a particular question.

I have also noticed that I have no inhibitions to go up to any dream character, sometimes even imposing on their personal space, and engage them in conversation. Yet when awake (whatever that means), I am socially awkward and have to force myself. The reason I bring this up is because for the last few days, I've considered if I would go up to a random person in this world, and ask them some random question just to see what random answer might come out. Asking something in either reality seems closely similar, in regards to how random or not- random the responses are, if all is truly one(zero, whatever).  But I can't bring myself to do it, just yet. Perhaps it's ego holding me back or some other force I have yet to realize.

Would love to hear any accounts of speaking to dream characters and the responses. Unfortunately Samuel doesn't keep a good dream journal, so I'll have to remember or try to find one already written, or just wait till my next lucid dream. I'll keep ya'll updated...

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Ok, this one happened not too long ago. I had a false obe, but oh well, it launched into a pretty interesting lucid dream. 

I got out of bed and melted myself through the back wall and into back yard. A peice of my fence was missing, but I was not fully lucid and it didn't occur to me at first that anything was missing. However, there were some dream characters (DCs) sitting around a fire by the house directly behind mine, so I decide to go up to them and engage. 

I had previously decided that I wanted to ask my DCs what is a dream to them. Their individual ideas of a dream.  I walked up to the closet one and asked my question.  He just stared at me and stuttered an incoherent answer. 

I decided to leave and go to the other side of the house, where an outdoor shopping plaza has apparently sprung up in the middle of my neighborhood. A line of women was wrapping around the back end of the house directly next to mine. I went up to one lady and asked her my question. The answer did not seem incoherent, but I could still not understand (a common problem for me in lucid dreaming). Soon after we were at the checkout counter, and I ask the same lady if I could have an audience with "myself". (another preselected question I was interested in) She began to answer, but the lady at the register slapped her and said  "you know we're not supposed to talk about that!" 

An example of whacky answer from DC's:

I suddenly became lucid while in some kind of business office with multiple receptionists. I pick a receptionist to talk to, and at first she acts very shy and doesn't want to talk. But before long she starts telling me that I need to watch out for one of my employees, Michelle, because she has several spy cams set up around the workplace, and may be reporting to someone else. 

This is also an example of being semi - lucid, because although I felt lucid and in control of the conversation, her answer was obviously absurd, but while in the dream I believed what she was saying. 

Just talked to two.

One was an old lady in a high school. Decided to ask her what her earliest memory is. She said it was when she was 11. It's also when she met a boy. (presumably who became her husband) I'm forgetting now but she also implied that she is now dead and somewhere near the age of 206. She wanted to hug me, but I felt scared and wouldn't let her because I sensed she would do something scary and I had just passed a scary part of the dream.  Unfortunately her eyes melted soon after and she keeled over. Rest in peace, old lady. Hope I didn't kill you....  ?

Later I asked another girl (in her 20's or so) her earliest memory. Damn, it's fading...  but she remembered being in the back of a boat with a guy, (a guy who was a dream character earlier on) and another girl. Apparently the guy was in the back of the boat and passed some book up to the front, and then he fell out of the boat. 

Wow these answers really surprised me. I expected them to get stumped with these questions since it involves them remembering an event that happened prior to their presumed creation. Yet they we able to come up with these answers on the spot, with no hesitation and very detailed (much more detailed than what I am able to report from memory) 

Wow... This is interesting... 

Nice topic :)
My DreamCharacters have a similar response when I ask them if they are aware that this is just a dream (or something along those lines)
They answer something like "yes ofcourse" and continue talking about something else like it´s no big deal, like i´m being silly. It´s like they have that answer programmed into them and it hinders them from really asking the question or even take it seriously. But maybe they know that if they tell me "no it´s not a dream" im gonna insist that it is.

I just wanna grab them and shake them and scream wake up goddammit! but it´s no use. That´s not the way to go about it.

Recently read Jed Mckennas book "enlightenment the damnedest thing" and it seem similar to how he experience life. He knows it´s a dream and other ppl are dreamcharacters, stuck in the ratcace and not seeing the obvious thing, that it´s just a dream.

Edited by luckieluuke

I am keeping a dream journal right now as I am having quite clear/active dreams each night, but I struggle to actively do anything in a dream - like going up to characters and asking them questions.

I would realize it is all a dream at some point, but I would keep on being the observer without any real control over the entire occurrence.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

@Flammable Are you struck by awe at the realization that it´s just a dream? When I realized it, expecially the first times, it was among the most amazing experiences in my life.

If it´s not that "special" of an event there is a chance that you merely are dreaming that you realize that it´s a dream. Similar to false awakenings.

This is my very personal experience. Anyway you´re on the right track :)

@luckieluuke  It varies as far as I am aware - especially with magnificent events it is easier to realise it is a dream (I had this dream of seeing planets and galaxies coming closer to Earth than the Moon, so that was awesome) and enjoy its magnificence. However, with more mundane dreams it is harder to grasp that.

Anyhow, if there are not any techniques except journaling, I suppose I can only continue observing it.

Edited by Flammable

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

~ Alan Watts

@Flammable There is a site and a wonderful, open, fun and loving community in the forums over at ld4all.com if you want to explore lucid dreaming more

@Bluebird Haha yes me too! it takes some practice to manage to stay calm enough not to wake up lol

@luckieluuke  One thing that struck me as particularly interesting is that my thought process sometimes continues directly from my dream - I recently had this dream where I had to murder a guy with a hammer (sounds weird I know haha - it was not particularly gruesome in the dream), but then I was walking with a friend in an autumn park and discussing whether killing people consciously is better than doing it unconsciously.

Then there was a seamless transition to waking and I just continued my train of thought as if nothing had happened. I was in bed and went to the bathroom for my morning routine, but kept on thinking about the topic, as if I was the dream character himself and nothing had changed.

It felt as if the dream and waking state are one and the same, one just continuing the other, two parts of the same coin, so to say.

Edited by Flammable

~ Alan Watts

@Flammable Wow yea that´s crazy...or completely normal since either reality are equally real. It´s quite an awakening experience.
Don´t feel weird for doing weird stuff in your dream. Once I took a motorsaw and cut of my own limbs just to see what it was like hehe. It was very very weird as one might imagine.

Last night, I partially woke up and then back to sleep... Next thing I knew I was sitting on a couch with my brother and my mom was on another couch across the room.  She didn't believe I was dreaming, so I asked her what her birthday is (Aug 17). She replied Incorrectly (June 20), but out of curiosity, I wondered if she knew my brother's and my birthdays, which she both answered correctly. Then she incorrectly answered my dad's birthday.  

On 29/10/2018 at 1:55 PM, seeking_brilliance said:

When I get lucid, one of my favorite things to do is find a random dream character to engage conversation with, ask pre-selected questions, or just to see what random things they may respond with.

Their answers range from hilarious to downright creepy. As if sometimes they don't want to be engaged, and sometimes you find a real talker. Sometimes they become withdrawn and irritated, and sometimes they are very exuberant and open. Kind of sounds like Samuel in real life, but that's not where this post is going... 

There are different experiments you can do while engaging in conversation with dream characters:

•     Using it as direct communication with your subconscious, asking questions that may be revealing to certain topic you are working on in personal development.
  • Play around with their sense of existence. This one is very intriguing to me, because often times when pointing out that this is just a dream, or that this is not real, many dream characters lash out and assure you that it is. There are cases of dream characters saying things like,  "I'm dreaming you." But these are less common, from what I have read. I have personally experienced the Angst when revealing the illusion to a dream character, and I have also had others agree with me that it is a dream. One thing I struggle with is do my dream characters, my creations(as I assume them to be) , truly think they are real? Or is it just a bunch of false memories implanted into them when needed.
  •  Just to laugh and see what wacky and sometimes creepy things your  sub conscious may spit out at you when asking dream characters a particular question.

I have also noticed that I have no inhibitions to go up to any dream character, sometimes even imposing on their personal space, and engage them in conversation. Yet when awake (whatever that means), I am socially awkward and have to force myself. The reason I bring this up is because for the last few days, I've considered if I would go up to a random person in this world, and ask them some random question just to see what random answer might come out. Asking something in either reality seems closely similar, in regards to how random or not- random the responses are, if all is truly one(zero, whatever).  But I can't bring myself to do it, just yet. Perhaps it's ego holding me back or some other force I have yet to realize.

Would love to hear any accounts of speaking to dream characters and the responses. Unfortunately Samuel doesn't keep a good dream journal, so I'll have to remember or try to find one already written, or just wait till my next lucid dream. I'll keep ya'll updated...

Nah, people in this world can be down right rude and dismissive. If you go up to someone they might make you feel regret for doing so. 

I've tried convos like that, usually ends in "Ok wtf do you want?" Maybe it's just England. 

Dream characters are probably not depressed and negative individuals, because they dont have a entire life of suffering behind them. Lol

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

In dreams you arent going to get judged for what you do, so feeling anxiety makes no sense. I went naked in public in my lucid dream last night. Very liberating. 

In real life they would call police on me and laugh their ass off pointing at my weird body.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Dodo actually I feel anxiety quite often in dreams, but only when I don't know I'm dreaming and still identify with the story. ..... Hmm sounds familiar to something.... 

1 hour ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@Dodo actually I feel anxiety quite often in dreams, but only when I don't know I'm dreaming and still identify with the story. ..... Hmm sounds familiar to something.... 

That's because when you don't know you're dreaming you don't know there are no consequences to your actions. 

In reality, there are consequences.

Also if you don't know you're dreaming you cant really change things at the snap of a finger like if you are lucid. 

I do not believe there are people who are "lucid" in real life in the way one can be in a dream. Until i see someone flying or creating food from thin air, i will be sceptic.

Edited by Dodo