SageModeAustin

Why isn't physical exercise emphasized in this forum more?

28 posts in this topic

How often do you all exercise a week and how determined are your workouts each time? 

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

Because it's much easier to sit on our asses and shoot off at the mouth than it is to diligently exercise everyday.  I do stair climbing, ride my exercise bike, and do pushups and situps daily (on alternate days).  By the way, I include myself in the shooting off at the mouth category too.  We all would much rather gossip than do any real work.  I'm trying to nip this problem in the bud myself and it ain't easy.  It has to be seen as a distraction and then dealt with as such.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

everyday 20+ mins

@Sahil Pandit whats your main motivation for speed? i really wanted to do fast miles and 5ks but i couldnt find a good enough reason to. its just a number. 

Edited by thehero

I'm personally taking a break from my sport right now. Just burnt out and no real desire or longing to compete at the moment. I, like @Sahil Pandit (btw you got 4:30 no problem), am a runner from 800m to MUT Running (Mountain, Ultra, Trail). 

When I'm training I'm at it 7 days a week sometimes twice a day depending on where I'm at in my training cycle with strength training a little bit everyday and then very focused strength work 2-3 times a week. 

It really depends on what you mean by "workout". If you're an athlete you're training every single day. There's no real way around that. However, some days are more intense than others. That's all training is if you want to see it through a scientific lens: Stress + Rest = Growth

Where it becomes more grey though and more complicated is when you've adapted to enough training that you can say do a really hard session one day and then stress other "systems" say the next day or even in another session later in the day and work on different things. For example if you're a runner like Sahil and I, you can do say a really hard anaerobic or lactate threshold workout followed by some intense power lifting to increase testosterone and increase recovery and wake up the nervous system one day and then the next day go for an easy effort 20 mile run where you're not necessarily pushing yourself much per say but you're training more of a slower cook process in developing your aerobic engine which can still tax you but in a different way. - So that's just a long way of say... it depends LOL

2 hours ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@SageModeAustin Looking to run a 4:30 mile this Track season. Hit 4:40 before I broke my elbow...

Training starts Nov. 19th. 

That's badass, nice.

I just want to do a 5 minute mile ? maybe I can hope to get to 4:40 some day, I can see my improvements constantly.

It's exciting to notice there are quite a few runners in here, this came up in some other thread.

Abundant physical activity is a foundation that's overlooked by so many because we live in a society that's radically lazy.

Most people are getting 5% of the exercise they need for optimal human existence, so when a person does 20% they feel like a champ and pack it in, but could go to 200% and really thrive.

Edited by outlandish

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

1 minute ago, outlandish said:

It's exciting to notice there are quite a few runners in here

There's other runners besides Sahil and I on here? LOL I didn't even know

I haven't paid much attention to the physical exercise stuff on here personally as I already have my resources for that but one thing I've noticed here from what I have seen on running is that people assume that running is just this spiritual flow, easy peasy, thing and I'm sitting over here and can already tell they have no idea what real training is. Not to say you can't get to that flow state, I've had legitimate highs like I've had when I used to pop ecstasy on really long runs, but those who think running is some effortless thing that doesn't take hard arduous commitment are like the "spiritual" people who want to feel good all the time and pass around crystals and nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, outlandish said:

Most people are getting 5% of the exercise they need for optimal human existence, so when a person does 20% they feel like a champ and pack it in, but could go to 200% and really thrive.

For the most part I agree with this because I get what you're saying but I notice a lot from the other side of the coin the toxicity of this alpha male egotistical drive to exert 1000% where they take their hard work in sport too seriously and thus take themselves too seriously. It's a balance. You'd be surprised how easy professional athletes even will go certain days. They make their easy super easy. A lot of athletes I know who've really "made it" really could benefit from a pure stage green transition from orange where their productivity and work ethic suffers a bit but in backing off they really connect with something deeper

Be detached to your extraordinary hard work. 

Because a good diet and exercise is foundational. Kinda goes without saying no?

Edited by Charlotte

it's actually emphasized quite a lot in the Health section of this forum, bet there must have been 100 different topics on exercise opened at some stage ;) nobody can push anyone to move their lazy asses unless they want to otherwise you will create a massive aversion towards it. 

There is also the component of habit. I was very lucky in my early youth to have been pushed towards sports by my parents since 5 and it comes very easy and natural today with very little resistance.  Many people haven't been pushed to it and they struggle terribly with every single session. It is not their fault and it doesn't mean they are lazy, it just takes a long time to build this habit in later age and there is a lot of resistance. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

6 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

unless they want to otherwise you will create a massive aversion towards it. 

Michael could you elaborate a little more on this please (doesnt have to be targeted towards exercise, just in general). 

P.s you talk so much sense ?

6 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

Michael could you elaborate a little more on this please (doesnt have to be targeted towards exercise, just in general). 

well, generally when people are being pushed to do something they don't really want, they tend to start resisting it. The less concious the person is the more resistance there is because the ego feels like it has to defend itself even if the advice could be beneficial. Imagine yourself couple years back before you started doing a conciousness work, somebody would come to you and tell you that this (self-actualisation) is a key to many of your problems and it sarts with you having to meditate for 30 minutes every day..most likely you would do everything possible not to do what they tell you.

12 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

P.s you talk so much sense ?

no, I am full of shit but like to spread the shit all over the forum just like many other members :) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Yeah man that makes so much sense! But why does ego feel the need to defend? To avoid doing the work?

14 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

no, I am full of shit but like to spread the shit all over the forum just like many other members

? Including oneself.

@Charlotte (in my opinion) it is the fear of pain, whether this is physical or psychological. Doing any kind of work is painful and we like to stay comfortable in the status quo so that out survival is not threatened. Exercise is a great example because the stress we put on the body is perceived as a threat to survival so of course there is natural response to resist. Call that "being fucked by the evolution" same way we are all horny chimps constantly looking for stimulation and validation :D

@Michael569 Yes! Makes perfect sense. Yesterday I said to somebody. "Can I ask you a question?" And they said "Yes." I said. "When you can't see, hear or feel what's in front of you does it then exist?" They said "Yes." I said "How if you can't see, feel or hear it?" They went silent for a minute and said in a stern manner "I want to change the subject now." That to me was a fine example of fear ?

@Charlotte the ego doesn't like to admit that it doesn't know  :D a conscious question to an unconscious individual will always lead to raising "shields and spears" or running away. 

3 times a week depends on the motivation or goals...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I'm done working out, only walks and stretches. Too many blockages one develops with dormant mentality exercise. 

Kundalini Breathing Work is the most powerful workout for me. After sessions of hardcore Breathing, with all that energy accumulated sometimes is tougher than going to the gym daily. Being an ex-powerlifter and rickshaw driver I know what physical training is, beyond the limits and beyond the wall. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.