kieranperez

Most Practical Skillsets I Can Learn NOW?

21 posts in this topic

What are some valuable skill sets I can learn decently quickly with a lot of hard work right now that I can start working towards and earn at least a decent wage? 

I’m putting my life purpose stuff on the side right now as I can’t keep living at home. I need to start becoming valuable in the marketplace NOW. The relationship is close to me either hanging myself or me eventually punching his face in. I can’t keep sitting around allowing the neurotic conditioning I’ve had all these years keep reinforcing this helpless victim mentality. 

I know money is not what I’m after and that renunciation and becoming a monk (not necessarily in a monastery) is what I want but I have too much unintegrated trauma and neurosis, lack of personal development, shame, anger, bitterness, resentment, self condemnation, etc. to do something like that now and come out the other side.

What skill sets and careers could I start learning today and with some good hard work I could have a career in relatively soon so long as I become good? This is just a first step because I need to get out now. 

@kieranperez anything you do, if you do it with higher quality than everyone else... then nobody can stop you.

i think that deep down inside, you're scared of committing to the process of choosing something and becoming good at it. do you fear failure?

failure_success.png

unborn Truth

Copywriting 
Google AdWords 
Graphic Design 
Marketing (SEO, SEM, SMM) 
Photography 
Programming 
Project Management 
Proofreading & Editing 
Online Teaching/Tutoring 
Transcription 
Translation 
Virtual Assistant 
Web Development 
Writing

If you already know a second language, integrate it with all the over skills mentioned above. 

2 hours ago, kieranperez said:

What are some valuable skill sets I can learn decently quickly with a lot of hard work right now that I can start working towards and earn at least a decent wage? 

I’m putting my life purpose stuff on the side right now as I can’t keep living at home. I need to start becoming valuable in the marketplace NOW. The relationship is close to me either hanging myself or me eventually punching his face in. I can’t keep sitting around allowing the neurotic conditioning I’ve had all these years keep reinforcing this helpless victim mentality. 

I know money is not what I’m after and that renunciation and becoming a monk (not necessarily in a monastery) is what I want but I have too much unintegrated trauma and neurosis, lack of personal development, shame, anger, bitterness, resentment, self condemnation, etc. to do something like that now and come out the other side.

What skill sets and careers could I start learning today and with some good hard work I could have a career in relatively soon so long as I become good? This is just a first step because I need to get out now. 

If you need something super short term to earn money and have a car, food delivery in a decent neighborhood can get you better then average money right away.  8 years ago when I was going to massage school and prior while saving up I delivered 32-35 hrs a week for a popular pizza place and made about 35K.  As long as they pay you a 8-10 wage, + tips it works out well.

Beyond that, becoming a Diagnostic Medical Imaging and X-Ray Technicians, Dental Hygenist, Physical therapy assistant and trade school positions like, plumbers, educated construction workers, electricians, welders are in high demand.   The list above can be done in about 2 years.

Truck driving. Truck driving school is usually 3-6 weeks long, and there are a lot of companies who will front your school costs for you if you agree to drive with them when you get out of school. With the right company you could start at 40-55k/year, and with 1-2 years experience, you could move to a company that would pay 75k+, 100k+ If you're willing to relocate to the oil fields in Texas.

You'd probably be able to afford your own place in a few months from now if you saved everything. Also a shortage a truck drivers, so the jobs are plenty as long as you're willing to work.

Edited by Elysian
Add

If you eventually want to live the monastic life, why not do a 30 day meditation retreat at a free Vipassana center? That way, you can see if that's the right path for you. Plus, you will be in a different environment than your dad, and you will get a lot more clarity about the situation because the situation is not pressing your buttons and muddying the waters. This is what I would do in your situation to get distance and clarity, and ultimately make wiser decisions about how to go forward from there. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

19 minutes ago, Emerald said:

If you eventually want to live the monastic life, why not do a 30 day meditation retreat at a free Vipassana center? That way, you can see if that's the right path for you. Plus, you will be in a different environment than your dad, and you will get a lot more clarity about the situation because the situation is not pressing your buttons and muddying the waters. This is what I would do in your situation to get distance and clarity, and ultimately make wiser decisions about how to go forward from there. 

I also don’t have my car anymore since a guy t-boned my car (and of course Geico dropped my claim all because he didn’t answer his phone) and buses up to those free Dhamma Vipassana Centers are like $200 round trip via Greyhound buses. I also get yelled at for doing anything that involves taking a break from the stresses of life because “I don’t deserve it.”

$200 is not much compared to hotel rooms. If you were real desperate you could hitchhike, surprised by the number of girls that do it, more so then men, especially couchsurfing. I would be highly reluctant. I kind of hitchhiked once, in Spain, was trying to get a local bus, but all local service had been cancelled. Anyway a young woman offered me a lift to the local town. If it had been me I would be highly suspicious about offering a stranger a lift, especially if I had children with me, which she did.

6 hours ago, kieranperez said:

I also don’t have my car anymore since a guy t-boned my car (and of course Geico dropped my claim all because he didn’t answer his phone) and buses up to those free Dhamma Vipassana Centers are like $200 round trip via Greyhound buses. I also get yelled at for doing anything that involves taking a break from the stresses of life because “I don’t deserve it.”

But is it something that you'd want to do with those conditions not withstanding?

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@kieranperez you could pick up a job where you learn some decent cooking or one where you have to chatter the whole day with a lot of different people, you could pick up a job where you learn something about different ways of logistics or about how to storage fresh food. you could pick up a job where you learn something about medicin or about sports, or a job where you have to do sports while working. you could do two different jobs in the same field, but different spiral levels and look how it feels.

check out ultra learning and deep work by scott h yung and cal newport. also their top performer course.

@kieranperez Another option is you can start flipping yesterday, check out Gary Vaynerchuck and how he goes to garage sales and then re-sells on Ebay, Amazon, OfferUp, Craigslist, you can also use Government Surplus auctions, Ross, Marshalls, Etc. 

I use to have a little side hustle of buying and selling gym equipment. It got to the point that I knew what would sell quickly, what was most in demand, etc. I would go to out of business crossfit gyms and buy the whole lot, and then resell as individual items. I was averaging about 2k a month and it wasn't my full time job. 

Whats cool about it is you can learn how to negotiate, how to sell, marketing, how to keep customers (I started collecting phone numbers and I had people that would contact me to see if I had items they were looking for), it was really great, but in the end for me wasn't sustainable over the long term due to working and having a family. 

You can do this with any items not just gym equipment. Hope this helps.

Online Arbitrage: low startup capital, easy-ish to learn, lots of markets to sell to. don't listen to people's fears about the model, that messed with me and made me indecisive. pull from many OA teachers, from general business teachers, think long-term, don't let other's fears taint your view

Retail Arbitrage: even lower startup, easier to learn. start now with a $100 bucks and slowly start flipping that. 

What do you value in life? Do you have a life purpose? It will be helpful to have this before you go out there and learn bunch of skills because they are trendy and valued in the society. The chances are they will be useless to you in pursuit of your mastery. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

How about running coach ;)

Programming is great because you can just learn it from your room and don't really need anybody from the outside world. Plus it's in high demand.

@kieranperez

On 10/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, kieranperez said:

Door to door sales can make you a lot of money, real quick, and they'll provide transportation for you.  It's not ideal long-term work, but all it takes is dedication. 

Consider investing in coding bootcamp for front end development. Detroit has a good one called Grand Circus but you could probably find one near you.

There’s also School of Motion which has an online bootcamp for motion graphics, which I believe is where the graphic design industry is heading more and more.

If you’re up for it, truck driving involves little training and you can start earning good money right away. I also believe there’s a shortage of welders. HVAC schools are spending good money on recruitment right now.

Edited by zenjen

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb