Athena

SLEEP

19 posts in this topic

I haven't had 8 hours of sleep in almost 2 years now.

I know for a fact this is hurting me and my mental state. 

I have tried melatonin, hypnotherapy,  neurofeedback . I have been meditating. I sleep without watching tv. Black out curtains, etc etc

I need to sleep. I sleep at 10pm, wake up at 2-3am, stay up till about 5am then wake up an hour after. 

I am TIRED 

Any tips. I want something to knock me out 

Edited by Athena

When you are in bed close your eyes. Not stiff just like normal. And absolutely do not open your eyes under any circumstances. Not when you roll over to re-organize the pillow or whatever. Under no circumstance. No matter how long it feels like it takes. Eventually your brain will get the message that it's lights out and you will fall asleep. 

I did this in highschool. 

It also helps when you think about something really happy like a vacation you took when you were 10 years old for example.

Edited by SFRL

It may be that you are overstressed, so high levels of cortisol don't let you fall asleep. 
Do you find yourself worrying during the day?

I would recommend valerian root. It will calm your nervous system and help in falling asleep.

Your sleep should be like the sun of your schedule.  Everything you do in your day should be less important than you getting proper sleep.  Your whole day should revolve around you getting awesome sleep.  First you get your adequate sleep, then you go do your day.  You gotta enforce this in your life.  It’s called sleep-prioritization.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

56 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Everything you do in your day should be less important than you getting proper sleep

PREACH

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Outer Yeah that podcast is some good shit

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

One thing you can do. There're kriya meditations that lowers the activity of the whole system, lowers metabolizm. Reduces heart rate, breath and mind activity. 

This is a powerful meditation to reduce your metabolizm. Perfect before going to sleep. Sometimes when I'm tired and I do this meditation I fall asleep right there. In cross-legged posture, sitting without any back support. So this can help.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

Sleep is a state of restfulness for our body and mind.

There're two reasons someone can't have a proper sleep.

1. Body is not at ease.

2. Mind is not at ease.

Let's come to the body first. if body is in some kind of a pain or disease or full stomach, hypertension or smth. A body will not allow you to fall asleep.

Another thing is your mind. When we go out in the world, mind takes enourmos amount of impressions during the day. When we take negative impressions into our mind, for example, you get stuck in a traffic jam, or somebody yells at you, or you read something you don't like on Facebook or your this forum :D mind becomes alert and active and thoughts start running fast. So these impressions when you go sleep, unconsciously will become active and will not let you sleep properly. What you can do is, to take positive impressions increases the quality of your sleep very very much. One simple thing you can do is, act of kindness. On a daily basis, make some acts of kindness, like, if you see someone who needs help, help them, do something good for others. Nothing big. Something small. Wash the dishes, or pick up a trash and trow it in a bin. Your mind will takes those positive impressions and will run subconsciouscly in your sleep. It will soothen your mind. Will make a better sleep quality.

Edited by Salvijus

Have you tried to look answers from ayurvedic point of view?

In ayurveda they look at sleep problems like this. Everyone is a combination of vata, pitta and kapha doshas.

If you have very light sleep, meaning, a somebody makes a very small sound you get up immediatly. And another person you go with a trumpet but his dead asleep so this kind of person who sleeps superficially has vata imbalances, vata aggravation.

In your case you have a pitta aggrevation. That means you're sleeping but your sleep is not of a good quality. You wake up in the middle of the night. Now there are many ways how to balance these doshas. You can balance your pitta dosha by increasing the kapha dosha or you can drop your pitta dosha down. 

Food that you eat has these doshas. Some foods increase pitta in you some increase vata some kapha. 

You can google pitta balancing diet. And see what kind of food is good for you. Avoid sour food, eat sweet food. Like eat sweet apples not sour apples.

Now there are more effective ways to balance these doshas if you go to ayurveda doctor. He will give you some herbs specifically for you. It would really solve all your problems. I know this by experience. These ayurveda people are something else. Try to look if there're any in your residential area. 

Another tip is you take a luke warm shower before sleep. Or soak your feet in some bucket with water and salt for 5-7min. It will help. 

Also what you can do, apply some ghee oil on the soles of your feet before you go to sleep

Also hot milk before sleep helps

Edited by Salvijus

I can share something from my own life. I never had problems with waking up in the middle of the night but did have some annoying problems falling asleep from time to time. Then I started some simple yoga practice that improves the quality of sleep and after a month or so, i can't remember, till today haven't had any problems falling asleep. Now I recently I started 2more practices that improve the quality of sleep. Now I fall asleep in like 2-3min. Ofcourse some days are different, if you get many bad impressions during the day, if you get into the arguments with someone. Accordingly it will take time to fall asleep. But in general, I can't remember complaining about sleep at all. Why I'm saying this. You can easily work upon this issue. There're many different approaches to this. Okey... GOOD LUCK :D

4 hours ago, ElenaO said:

valerian root

it works

unborn Truth

12 hours ago, Athena said:

I haven't had 8 hours of sleep in almost 2 years now.

I know for a fact this is hurting me and my mental state. 

I have tried melatonin, hypnotherapy,  neurofeedback . I have been meditating. I sleep without watching tv. Black out curtains, etc etc

I need to sleep. I sleep at 10pm, wake up at 2-3am, stay up till about 5am then wake up an hour after. 

I am TIRED 

Any tips. I want something to knock me out 

It might help:

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Tap into Muladhara with Breath, there is your problem may be. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

On 10/26/2018 at 0:48 AM, lmfao said:

PREACH

If you’re not prioritizing and defending your sleep that’s like an automatic F in personal development work.  Nobody is gonna prioritize your sleep but you.  And you gotta enforce that and let the chips fall where they may too.  Running through life on shitty sleep is something that you need to nip in the bud.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Thank you everyone, I will look into your suggestions. 

Make sure you go to bed at the same time. No artificial light 2 hours before and minimal light an hour before bed (times adjustable). What helped me was cutting out my addiction to stimulation. I used to have a terrible time trying to sleep. Now I get at least 8 hours every night and wake up at 6

Something funny happened to me this night. Yesterday before sleep I ate lots of food that aggregate pitta like sour cream and smoked fish, and another sour milk product. And then today i woke up at 3am and couldnt fall back to sleep, witch almost never happens :D body's all confused and irritated. 

Then this is it, I thought, no more sour, salty products before sleep :D

@Athena Check if you're not on a salty, sourly diet :D also if you drink alcohol the same thing could happen.