Nathan99

Attending a 10 day meditation retreat tomorrow, any tips?

9 posts in this topic

I really hope to make the most out of this first experience, any tips on what i should bring or do before my retreat tomorrow? By the way it's in Shelburne falls, Mass.

I've never done any retreats, but have heard about the benefits they can have.

These 10 days will change your life for the better, I'm sure of it :)

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

I assume you are doing the 10 day VIpassana retreat

• Commit to NOT leaving, regardless of how you feel
  • Become mentally prepared that it is not fun or relaxing
  • When you have the choice to either meditate alone or in the hall, meditate in the hall

When i did my first 10 day vipassana retreat many people left and i think its because people go into it with the wrong intentions. 

When you have the choice to either meditate alone or in the hall, meditate in the hall

Do that.

Its gonna be butterflies, butterflies with sharp teeth and machete swords cutting at you, i guess, ive never done it. :P

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Cool, I'm jealous! I did a 7-day Vip retreat earlier this year and got a lot out of it. The first 3 days were the hardest for me, but you get into a groove, even if it feels like you don't. Your mind will quiet down in ways you've likely never experienced consciously. And your back will hurt like a mo'fo. 

3 hours ago, PsiloPutty said:

Cool, I'm jealous! I did a 7-day Vip retreat earlier this year and got a lot out of it. The first 3 days were the hardest for me, but you get into a groove, even if it feels like you don't. Your mind will quiet down in ways you've likely never experienced consciously. And your back will hurt like a mo'fo.

I've been invited to a 10 day in December but I've not yet accepted the offer.  I have a cushion with a back support, but I have chronic lower back pain and I'm unsure if I'll make it through.  I did tell them I had this condition, so maybe if I have to take a break and lie on my back for a few they won't kick me out.  Hopefully they'll understand.

Grace

@MiracleMan Some retreats have actual chairs available for older folks or people with prohibitive pain. By the 6th day, half the class was sitting in them, so don't feel bad.