Sidi

School is frustrating me. Need Adice

8 posts in this topic

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND ENERGY!!

I am 19 years old and in 5th year of a professional IT school. I always used to be a top student and getting high results. But this year its really hard to keep up with amount studying that needs to be done. Plus the psychological pressure that i make to myself to get high grades is really destroying me from the inside. I stay in school from 7:45 to 4:10 and I give my maximum there, but as soon as I get home, I just cant bring myself to study since I feel its really overwhelming (or i just feel 2 tired and cant focus) and enter a phase of procrastination and feeling sick because of the stress. I never had such experiences with school before and I am really frustrated, and doubting my values and worth as a human because of this.

Any advice to stop this cycle would be appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading.

Sounds like some anxiety or catastrophizing about the grades. I found some (temporary, for self actualization, but then again, so is school. thank goodness, lol) visualisation strategies that may be helpful to you:

If you believe you can cope with negative events, anxiety will be much less of a problem. 

The common types of catastrophes people tend to imagine include:

- Imagining yourself losing control of yourself. For example, an individual withpanic disorder predicts that if they go to the mall on a weekend afternoon, they will have a panic attack. They predict that having a panic attack would be a catastrophe, rather than it just being significantly unpleasant.

- Imagining yourself spiraling into a deep depression.

- Imagining yourself never finding love, and imagining that if this happens you will be plagued by intense feelings of loneliness 24/7 from now until you die.

- Equating some type of mild to moderate social rejection with being totally shunned by all desirable people.

My comment to you: However, if these get really depressing, it wouldn't hurt to do 20-30 affirmations each morning, as long as you keep in consideration upon what I wrote in parentheses, above.

The attention of Breath while in school and after. Make this like second nature, make breath above relationships, above school, above food, above sex, above everything. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@i am I AM For how long should i do these techniques and would these negative experiences cause harm ? Since visualization is meant to form my subconscious.

Only once for about a half hour should be good. After that, when you did the visualizations, think of how the situation could be resolved based on your current perception of how that can occur in your reality. For example, wgen imaging the depressed feeling, think about how you are really just a tiny part of the universe, yet have been previously an essential cog. Then "see" how everything and everybody fits together to make any individual's reality, regardless of whether it seems positive or negative for them. IOW, something for greater than yourself, yet you are a part of it, always. 

Then, it will not be harmful.

@i am I AM Thanks a lot for your time and advice. Ill will establish a habit on that. Really lifts me up seeing support from people like you. :) 

Edited by Sidi

School is like working in a factory so I can see why you are stressed out. I experience it myself whenever I go to school. Changing the way you view school helps. Think of why you're doing homework. It's so that you're setting yourself up to get a nice job. And if you don't get a high GPA then you're probably screwed for life. As sad as it sounds it's half true. Some people get rich by doing something imaginative. A lot don't. Others get a high GPA and work a job for the rest of their life.

do your best and know your worth 

in the words of rocky, you're better than that.