The Don

Nootropics: Is Green Tea Bad For You?

28 posts in this topic

Hello guys.

As I was watching @Leo Gura's video about Nootropics, I reached the point where Leo says that caffeine is not recommended.

Why is that? I'm not a coffee drinker but I drink a lot of Green Tea.

According to webmd.com:

Green tea contains 2% to 4% caffeine, which affects thinking and alertness, increases urine output, and may improve the function of brain messengers important in Parkinson's disease. Caffeine is thought to stimulate the nervous system, heart, and muscles by increasing the release of certain chemicals in the brain called "neurotransmitters."

So, because Green Tea contains caffeine, should it stop drinking it?

I feel like Green Tea is helping me A LOT with my work. It give me a boost in relaxation. I feel like I'm in a meditative state when I drink Green Tea.

I'm so discouraged right now. :(

P.S: When I wake up I eat 3 cloves of raw garlic and I drink a cup of Green Tea. After one hour the substance kicks in. Man the effects are awesome!

Me on the road less traveled.

Caffeine is boss if one knows how to use it for grounding. But will not help if it's not properly used. 

The unawakened just brag about the negative in tea and coffee. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

One of the supplements he mentioned is made with extraction of green tea, and has a relaxing effect.

BENEFITS: L-theanine is a antioxidant (found in green and black tea) which creates a calm feeling that may help to improve sleep quality*

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

@The Don You can drink decafinated green tea 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I put matcha green tea powder into my smoothies sometimes. I think its probably healthy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I think its probably healthy.

Hahaha you can do better than this Leo xD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855614/

It looks like green tea has lots of beneficial effects. Protection against degenerative diseases, prevention of many types of cancer, relatively good treatment of diarrhea and lots of other more complicated stuff.

The last chapter of the research tells us about the adverse effects of green tea. Higher doses (it is not said what is a higher dose) can cause damages to the liver and pancreas, as well as the usual adverse effects of caffeine.

Appart from the caffeine, I don't see lots of beneficial effects on mental performance. Maybe it would be because there are none? Or maybe it would be because they didn't research this particular field when doing the study, who knows.

I like my decaffeinated green tea. It taste good in my mouth. And usually when something taste good in my mouth, my mood is better. That's a plus for mental performance I guess :)

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

It doesn't really have much caffeine in it at all. Not to mention that the antioxidants and other stuff it contains is certainly healthy. Coffee is unhealthy in general but people use the excuse of "it makes you more awake" to drink it. Even though that's pure nonsense imo.

yes , there may be another side to the story of caffeine , maybe nature intended the things that contain caffeine to work synergistically with it , maybe taking it out is not as beneficial ....

@Roman Edouard Not saying it's completely true but I heard a bit of coffee is actually good for you. 

18 hours ago, The Don said:

When I wake up I eat 3 cloves of raw garlic and I drink a cup of Green Tea

I wouldn't like to be the one giving you a goodbye kiss in the morning ?

9 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

@Roman Edouard Not saying it's completely true but I heard a bit of coffee is actually good for you. 

Try it, it's awesome, I give my garlic smelly girl a kiss kiss in every morning

3 minutes ago, non_nothing said:

Try it, it's awesome, I give my garlic smelly girl a kiss kiss in every morning

??

Trust me I'm no Saint either. I find my myself apologising to cashier's for my garlic breath they have to endure ✌️?

9 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

??

Trust me I'm no Saint either. I find my myself apologising to cashier's for my garlic breath they have to endure ✌️?

Hail to you garlic smelling spirit

3 hours ago, Charlotte said:

@Charlotte, haha.

I know but I don't have a girlfriend. I've never had one.

7 hours ago, petragr said:

yes , there may be another side to the story of caffeine , maybe nature intended the things that contain caffeine to work synergistically with it , maybe taking it out is not as beneficial ....

Yes. Why would the nature itself put caffeine into Green Tea? I don't see the source of caffeine from Green Tea to be unhealthy.

It's not uranium, of course. :D

"It’s been reported that matcha contains up to 5 times more l-theanine than other teas. (57)

Matcha also contains more caffeine.

Here’s how the caffeine content of matcha and other teas compare (per 8 ounce serving): (58)

Matcha tea — 70 mg

Black tea — 42 mg

White tea — 28 mg

Oolong tea — 27 mg

Green tea — 25 mg"

https://bebrainfit.com/l-theanine-benefits/

The kingdom of heaven is within.

1 hour ago, Colin said:

"It’s been reported that matcha contains up to 5 times more l-theanine than other teas. (57)

Matcha also contains more caffeine.

Here’s how the caffeine content of matcha and other teas compare (per 8 ounce serving): (58)

Matcha tea — 70 mg

Black tea — 42 mg

White tea — 28 mg

Oolong tea — 27 mg

Green tea — 25 mg"

https://bebrainfit.com/l-theanine-benefits/

L-theanine, especially when used with caffeine, can be a safe and effective way to maximize mental performance without resorting to brain-enhancing drugs. (study)

grean tea and matcha are more healthy than coffee, because of the other contents in green tea and coffee. matcha contains a range of polyphenoles and vitamins. coffee is acidic.

a big plus of matcha seems to be that it’s caffeine resorption takes place in the gut and not the stomach, because the caffeine is bonded to tannins. while coffee is resorped in the stomach. what adds to the smoother feeling of matcha caffeine.

so it’s more the overall benefits that make it a nutritional supplement. 

i always ask myself would we even drink that stuff if it wasn’t for the caffeine? what would it be then? habits, group pressures? rituals?

there are so many teas out there. if not for the caffeine but for the ritual, and even for supplementation, why not try something else? 

lets be honest.

Edited by now is forever

What about adaptogens? I saw leo has a few books about it on his bookshelf.  I was thinking about taking ashwaganda.