Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seeking_brilliance

Spider web

13 posts in this topic

It was fun watching this little thing build his web.  (although this one's a little wonky compared to others I've seen).

It made me start thinking about how they even know how to do this. They just know. All this knowledge downloaded into their tiny brains directly from their genes. How amazing is that? They just know.  They were never taught to build this web. But they are masters at it. 

It made me wonder which part of all this "knowledge" I have in my own head was pre-programmed through genes, and how much was learned. 

We already know about instinct behavior like babies looking for a nip to suckle. Another one is the grasp reflex, where babies instinctively grasp anything that is placed in their hands. 

As we grow and develop distinct personalities, we begin to assume that any other behaviors are learned. Of course it would be hard to prove otherwise, but I don't believe that all behavior is this way. What underlying instinctual behavoirs do we exhibit on a daily bases that we mistakingly take as learned? If any of them are unwanted, can they be overridden?

For example the fight or flight instinct: this gets triggered for me in any highly stressful event that shoots my anxiety through the roof.  A large part of that anxiety is based on memories of past similar events, but how much is instinctual?  Am I spinning tires trying to get to the root of this behavior or is it best to learn to cope? 

Can you think of other gene given instinctual behaviors? 

20181018_101743_HDR.jpg

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Great contemplations. I got me thinking about instinct and intuition. The two seem related.  

Fascinating  topic, Thank you. I'd say the capability to breathe properly is hardwired in us. If you look at newborns they breathe deep into their stomachs. Only as we let life's stressors and traumatic experiences restrict us we start to have shallow breathing. 

Almost like you have to re-learn what you were originally born with. 

32 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

Great contemplations. I got me thinking about instinct and intuition. The two seem related.  

Yeah I bet they are. 

We kind of take dna memory for granted.  I don't understand how it is not super interesting to everyone.  It's one of our greatest gifts passed down through countless generations of our ancestors. 

I also think that these so called past lives can easily be explained through dna/gene memory. Most likely they are memories of a direct ancestor, and the brain confuses the encoded information as a memory. Any thoughts on that? 

@seeking_brilliance Interesting post, another example would be homeostasis.  We can regulate our body like sweating for example, to maintain an optimal temperature level...(98.6°F (37°C)).

No one taught us this, yet we somehow know how to.  It goes to show how we truly are part of an infinite intelligence. 

Edited by SageModeAustin

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

57 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

We kind of take dna memory for granted.  I don't understand how it is not super interesting to everyone.  It's one of our greatest gifts passed down through countless generations of our ancestors. 

I also think that these so called past lives can easily be explained through dna/gene memory. Most likely they are memories of a direct ancestor, and the brain confuses the encoded information as a memory. Any thoughts on that? 

And dna memory is not just genetic dna sequence. Our environment/experience interacts with DNA and modifies gene expression via methylation. These epigenetic changes are often long-lasting and inheritable.

@Serotoninluv that's interesting. Would you be willing to right something about this and maybe how it affects or interacts with consciousness?  And doesn't gene expression change every so many weeks depending on environmental changes and state of mind? 

If I had a child five years ago and one today, I wonder how different their inherited genes would be considering they have the same mother. 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

2 hours ago, seeking_brilliance said:

@Serotoninluv

If I had a child five years ago and one today, I wonder how different their inherited genes would be considering they have the same mother. 

In terms of DNA sequence, the two siblings would be 50% similar (it is a bell curve, ranging from 0% to 100% with an average of 50%). We don't know all the factors regarding epigenetic modifications of gene expression.

You raise a very good question: would the experiences of the parents during the five year gap influence inheritable epigenetic modifications? If so, to what extent?

Interesting, I listened to Rupert Sheldrake on the Joe Rogan podcast today and he talks about morphic resonance and how lab rats who were artificially inseminated from generation to generation knew not to do a certain action or go a certain route on the maze because they would get an electrical shock. Each generation continuously had better odds of not going the route that causes a shock. It’s Podcast 550, he talks about the studies in the very beginning. 

@Equanimitize so, for example, does this perhaps explain  some irrational fears, like the fear of heights, fear of deep water, etc.? (I know that's unanswerable but just for contemplation)

9 hours ago, SageModeAustin said:

@seeking_brilliance Interesting post, another example would be homeostasis.  We can regulate our body like sweating for example, to maintain an optimal temperature level...(98.6°F (37°C)).

No one taught us this, yet we somehow know how to.  It goes to show how we truly are part of an infinite intelligence. 

Yep. Just amazing huh? And we readily accept this kind of information passed down in dna but shoo off the idea of memories being passed along because it sounds too woo-woo. But memories are just stored information. And we don't really understand how information is stored, and how dna is fully encoded.  We just don't know. 

11 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

for example, does this perhaps explain  some irrational fears, like the fear of heights, fear of deep water, etc.? (I know that's unanswerable but just for contemplation)

Yes, they actually go into this and talk about how irrational fear could have been passed down from generation to generation. Joe asked Rupert what he thought causes this manifestation to occur-he essentially said something deeper is going on that we don’t yet understand. 

Bruce Liptons work is someone you can study as well if you’d like to get a scientific perspective after your contemplation. Cool topic, it goes along with Leo’s intelligence video as well.