Hellspeed

ENGLISH language, a danger for the dormant minds

17 posts in this topic

...no comment.

Still, believe English is the most awesome and, exp: Chinese the nastiest? 

Think again!

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I disagree english is the nastiest language for science. Look at how asian countries developed so fast after colonialism from fedualism to capitalism and here is video from Jerry liu that explains why chinese language make you smart in science. Asian languages are so logical.

My own language Arabic was the language of science in middle ages its expressive power is enormous. when you speak arabic, only your left brain is used and its very challenging.

Europe developed only after adopting Arabic numerology that we use today apart from Roman numerals which were so difficult.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/09/06/arabic.difficulty.learning/index.html

I believe Asian languages like korean, japanese and Chinese which as difficult as Arabic are better for science than Arabic or english or latin and cant be sure for german as its very scientific and produced most of Europes scientists. Spanish not so much.

Arabs are still tribal and cant  move forward from stage purple and blue to orange because Arabic language is very emotional and familial language. Patriarchy is its essence. Our possessive pronouns are  like this father of car, joke, shirt and for female mother of that TV, car  or friend of or brother of or son of and its like hebrew and this explains why christian europeans thought that God was their father lol. Jesus wasn't son of god in sense of Zeus or what the greek thoughts. God is You and me and all of us is it. Our bodies are just simply incarnates of the one absolute infinity. we are not real, we are it.

Edited by Your place at Heart

"Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And The Face of your Lord Full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever❤️" Quran: Surat Ar-Rahman (The Merciful)

"We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient"?Quran: Suratal Al-baqarah (The Cow)

I think Spanish sounds good, it's clear, unlike French, and has a nice rhythm. Portuguese sounds very closed mouth like whispers. The Scandinavian countries, at least Norway, sounds like BAR BAR, Yaar Yaar but like chewing bubblegum. In contrast, home county English is a lot more closed mouth, with not a lot of vowels, American English is a lot more opened mouth.

I would have thought German is the Language for engineering?

The verbs, I guess are quite straightforward in English. Phonetically English is not so brilliant perhaps. The subjunctive can be used sometimes a lot in English.

I guess with English, kind of tells a story in a way. Like in the video, tends to consume other languages as well.

I think some of the concepts that can be conveyed in different languages, would be very intriguing getting to know some of the differences.

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

However, in my opinion the biggest shortcoming of the English language is that because of it's directness, you can express a lot less nuance and subtleties than in other languages. In German as my native language, you can really express an idea in its deepest complexity with only one word. 

For example, take the word "to think" ("denken" in German). Depending on the situation and the exact aspect of "thinking" to want to express, you can alter the word slightly to "vordenken", "nachdenken", "mitdenken", "überdenken" etc. As an example, "mitdenken" means something like to actively think in a teamwork for a common cause.

I wish we had more of this in English. For example, 10 variations of the word "intuition" to express it's nuances and subtleties.

@RichardY English is very hard for math and engineering. Most Anglo countries students score lower in math and science than lets say students of Asian and indian descent or germans or Jews of german/Yiddish descent. The Mizrahi Jews who come from arabic countries score lower than Ashkenazi counterparts in Israel in math and science. Language plays an important role in the way you think and learn and what kind of things you learn. Some languages are good for Math and science, some are good for poetry but not so much for others. English is just garbage language of every invader to the british Island. German on other hand has few latin impurities. I am studying chemical and mechanical engineering and its fricking hard in english for me. I struggled learning calculus and diff equations while all of my chinese friends understood it perfectly because they have inner chinese voice. The exams are not clear at all or straight forward. Arabic is also hard for science but for philosophy and spirituality is excellent because its vocab is full of emotional terms.

Sad truth no African or Arabic country is developed due to The local languages not having capability of very abstract and conceptual thinking. Having english(crappy technical language) might be aiding these countries but not so much. I hope chinese become the new world language for science because its so useful.

Edited by Your place at Heart

"Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And The Face of your Lord Full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever❤️" Quran: Surat Ar-Rahman (The Merciful)

"We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient"?Quran: Suratal Al-baqarah (The Cow)

In esoterical & magickal terms, English if one of the most powerful & magickal, it has so much power that the average English speaking Joe has a very hard time to awaken compared to old languages. 

It is a reason why is the lingua franca in the world, it can bind one into the illusion so deep that globalism flourishes. 

So yes, is very good for the mind drive people and hard to escape it's paradigms if you are native. 

You should stick that first video in the yellow examples mega thread. 

I have permanently locked myself out of my account to force myself to focus on my work. Goodbye.

14 hours ago, Shiva said:

English is the best language I know for science, business and engineering. It's simple, clear, to the point and its vocab doesn't allow for too much interpretation. 

However, in my opinion the biggest shortcoming of the English language is that because of it's directness, you can express a lot less nuance and subtleties than in other languages. In German as my native language, you can really express an idea in its deepest complexity with only one word. 

For example, take the word "to think" ("denken" in German). Depending on the situation and the exact aspect of "thinking" to want to express, you can alter the word slightly to "vordenken", "nachdenken", "mitdenken", "überdenken" etc. As an example, "mitdenken" means something like to actively think in a teamwork for a common cause.

Something like this is very difficult to express in English in a simple manner. So, a lot of these subtleties are lost.

While I agree with your specific examples, I disagree with the overall sentiment.

No offense, but I find that most people who say that English is not expressive or that the words lack nuance and connotation are victims of a blind spot. They are simply not experienced enough with English to pick up the nuance in the words, or else they simply don't have a wide enough English vocabulary to realize that it's actually a language with tons and tons of expressive terminology.

I've noticed this sentiment is very common among people for whom English is not a first language, and I can't really blame them; most people with English as a non-primary language tend to use English mostly for business, science, etc--so their experience of the language is as something very direct and dry.

Then they make the mistake of assuming that English is inherently this way, when it really isn't. At least, that hasn't been my experience with English. You can be direct and dry and (apparently) exact, but you also can take advantage of subtly and ambiguity rather well. You just will never see this deeper side of English if you use it mostly for business and other mundane concerns, that's all.

I think English has many flaws, but I would say this is not one of them. As for its alleged exactness, I'm also kind of "meh" about that. There are languages that give off a more robotic air of precision than English does, I think. Then there's the writing system. That's what I would say is one of the bigger flaws of English: Its writing system doesn't match the way the language is spoken (there are like 5 times more sounds than there are letters), so it's hella confusing.

1 hour ago, StardewValley said:

You should stick that first video in the yellow examples mega thread. 

I don't know, for me, spiral dynamics for transcendence into the natural is BS hahahahaha, useful for the big corporations to hire slavery. 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:36 AM, Shiva said:

English is the best language I know for science, business and engineering. It's simple, clear, to the point and its vocab doesn't allow for too much interpretation. 

I don't see this at all. In fact I find a lot of things in the English language annoying and inconsistent to deal with. There are many edge cases and it seems like most debates end up in nonsense because both parties are using different definitions of a word or using it in an entirely different context. And don't get me started on the notion of introducing gender before addressing things.

Albeit i'd be surprised if there is any language at all I am content with.

I believe every language has this. Transcending the language is a must to actualize. 

Edited by Hellspeed

19 hours ago, Shadowraix said:

it seems like most debates end up in nonsense because both parties are using different definitions of a word or using it in an entirely different context. 

So true!

On 10/19/2018 at 2:05 AM, Shiva said:

You certainly can, but definitely a lot better in other languages. This is also why to become rather fluent in Spanish has been a lot more difficult for me than in English. Spanish is a significantly more complex and rich language.

But this also comes at a cost: The more complex a language, the more difficult it is to learn, the more difficult it is to express oneself properly (since there's so much depth that you could potentially be missing), the less people will actually be able to speak the language.

For example, in German or Spanish you can certainly express yourself with more depth than in English, but that ain't easy. If you don't do it properly people might take it the wrong way.

One of my American friends once said to me when was travelling through Europe: "I admire you Europeans, everybody can speak at least two languages. In America, most people can't even speak one language properly." But of course he failed to see that this is also the case with most Europeans, including the bilingual ones. xD

Yeah, hard to be perfectly fluent in more than one language. Usually one will take over the other eventually. English is technically not my first language, either, but it eventually took over.

And yep, we'll just have to agree to disagree there. :P I'm a Spanish speaker, and I don't really see it as having any more (or less) inherent depth than English. It's just different. Maybe my parents were just plain-spoken people so I never learned any of the fancy talk, I dunno.