Brivido

What is intention?

11 posts in this topic

I have been studying spirituality and enlightenment for quite a while now, many of the teachings that I have come across keep talking about the power of intention, but none of them gives a clear explanation of what it is. Funny enough, the best definition that I have found so far is from the pick up community, they say that intention is action without attachment. Intent = action + freedom from outcome. I would be really interested in hearing more definitions, suggested reading are also welcome.  

If we are asking this question intention is simply desire/choice. A reactionary movement of the intellect/self. Nonaction of the intellect/self=total action of intelligence/truth. 

Edited by Jack River

@Brivido

To me, intention is simply the truth about why you are doing what you're doing.

You mentioned pickup in your post, so I'll pull an example from that.

Let's say you walk up to a girl and your voice is very soft. Your intention at that moment for why your voice is soft could be so that you don't appear rude and risk rejection.

Conversely, you could walk up to a girl with a soft voice and have a completely different intention. Maybe your throat is sore and so you don't want to talk loudly.

That subtle distinction makes all the difference in the world.

I intended not to have 60,000 classified emails hacked into, and/or discovered on a non secure server.

I intended not to get caught having an affair.

I intended to hand in my homework, but the dog ate it.

The power of intention.

Edited by RichardY

@Shiva

Reflex action.
Praxeological action.

"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer. 

Intent = action + freedom from outcome.

Don't be too concerned with the equation, Brivido—  yet non-attachment to outcomes is a beautiful and profound thing.

It's a very subtle and effective tool. Will and patience (without attachment to outcomes) is all a warrior has to work with.

Intent is a matter of will operating independently of reason/talking. Together with freedom from attachment to outcomes one can realize an unstoppable singleness of purpose. Action, per se, is a misnomer— operating from the nexus of will, the limits of reason/talking can be subtly passed through by virtue of nonpsychological (non-discursive) intent. That's really what it is. I say it is a misnomer because nonpsychologically aware intent lies within the realm of non-doing.

I hope it will take you far.

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

On 10/18/2018 at 4:45 AM, RichardY said:

I intended not to have 60,000 classified emails hacked into, and/or discovered on a non secure server.

I intended not to get caught having an affair.

I intended to hand in my homework, but the dog ate it.

The power of intention.

Trying to accomplish your intention and not achieving it is what you typically call a mistake.

Intention can be used as an excuse, but it can also be used as a behavioral correction mechanism.

1 hour ago, deci belle said:

That's really what it is. I say it is a misnomer because nonpsychologically aware intent lies within the realm of non-doing.

:D I see this first hand too. Nice @deci belle

Edited by Jack River

Action that is not influenced by psychological movement or choice. Action born of order.