habibi87

Audio books recommendations

17 posts in this topic

Hey folks

Although Leo pointed daily reading / audio books as a core practice, I've found barely any recommendations for audio books. 

I have a few credits in my audible account and wanted to ask what audio books do you recommend for self-actualization.

Thanks for your inputs :-)

He has a lot of recommended books on his booklist.

I think regular books are better tho. Its soo easy to loose focus when you are only listening.

Hii

Check out https://fourminutebooks.com/, Its run by nik and he writes summaries of books which can be read within couple of minutes,plus, he has audio of the summaries too I guess...........you could even consider about small podcast too.......sometimes, much can be learnt by listening to a good small podcast and contemplating on the same.......................you could try "ted" talks too..........maybe you can download ted talks in audio format.......

happy learning my friend

Edited by zenny

Science of Enlightenment by Shinzen Young is really good.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Man, some futurist say that knowledge is doubling every year. You can imagine that books are growing at a rapid rate as well. I think a better question would be, what books would be of most value at this specific time on my self actualization journey. Everyone needs work in different areas-so I am not sure I can recommend any specific books without knowing what exactly you need to work on. 

I suppose a good place to start to learn about self-actualization is the Man who popularized the term which is Abraham Maslow and check out some of his work. I'd also highly suggest buying Leo's book list as you are attracted to his content therefore you can see what his recommended readings are. Another way to find out good books is to find your virtual mentors-those who you respect and look up to,  type their name on google with book list, recommended readings, etc. A lot of times you can find out what they are reading and triangulate important books. The more you read, the better you get at picking and choosing and finding. 

Of course you can use Amazon and GoodReads or Youtube for small synopsis of books to look up reviews.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Equanimitize

@habibi87

What specifically do you want to learn? There's plenty of great books but they might not be relevant for you.

@aurum As a former gamer nerd I just wanna take a moment to appreciate the fact that your post count is 1337.

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

9 minutes ago, sgn said:

@aurum As a former gamer nerd I just wanna take a moment to appreciate the fact that your post count is 1337.

And just like that, it's gone. All things impermanent ;)

1 minute ago, aurum said:

And just like that, it's gone. All things impermanent ;)

:|

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

How do you guys retain information from audiobooks? Do you go by the principle "good shit sticks"? Do you use audiobooks as a complement to the physical books, as repetition?

@Waves The only time I listen to audiobooks is when I am driving, doing the dishes, etc. and I am usually listening to it at 2x-3x speed therefore it makes it difficult to retain the information however you can still understand the big concepts of what the book is trying to teach. Audible has a feature where you can pin audio notes whenever you like. You can always pin the audio and later on add that information to your notes. 

Not really sure what "good shit sticks" is, if the audiobook is of very high value I would purchase the hard copy to read at a later date. 

Just a side note: If you live in the United States, a lot of local libraries offer a free Hoopla account. You can download the app on your smart phone and add up to 15 titles a month free-they have tons of personal development books that you can listen to.

@Equanimitize So if I understand correctly you use audiobooks as a broad exposure to good concepts that you can eventually delve deeper into later if they offer great value. Do you feel/think that you can apply what you listen just as much as what you read?

The principle of "good shit sticks" (I heard it from Tim Ferris) means that if you hear something wise that resonates with you at that moment you will remember it even though you don't take notes on it.

What a sweet service! Unfortunately I don't live in the US. I'm considering signing up to Audible since I'm going to travel for some time next year and I won't be able to carry around physical books.

10 hours ago, Waves said:

So if I understand correctly you use audiobooks as a broad exposure to good concepts that you can eventually delve deeper into later if they offer great value. Do you feel/think that you can apply what you listen just as much as what you read?

Good question, It’s difficult to analyze what I retain when listening to audiobooks. I’d say I probably understand/retain concepts and insights better when reading a hard cover book. 

The “good shit sticks” definitely resonates with me, and this is true-when you get that big aha moment you don’t really need notes.

The best way to retain information for me is talking/teaching about what I read to anyone who wants to listen.

Ive heard of people using a piece of blank paper and start a mind map and use it as a book mark. Every time you pick up the book you review the mind map, you can keep adding to the mind map as you move through the book. I probably will try this at some point.

12 hours ago, Equanimitize said:

talking/teaching

12 hours ago, Equanimitize said:

mind map

Yeah they're both great methods to remember better the lessons, since they make you recall the information in your own words.