Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sahil Pandit

Defending the Scientific Paradigm

3 posts in this topic

This is a little story that happened to me today that I would like to share relating to the Defending the Scientific Paradigm.

Today, I had Biology class in University and the topic being discussed was Genetics. Mendelian Genetics, that is (Created by Gregor Mendel, the father of Genetics.) Anyways, as my Professor was going over Mendel's background and story, he mentioned that Mendel was a monk. My professor had a snarky laugh and said to the class jokingly, "Monks must have a lot of free time on their hands." The way he said it, was implying that monks were sitting around wasting their time. However this couldn't be the case, especially in Mendel's life. Why? Because one does not simply unravel a discipline like Genetics and cross breeding pea plants by sitting on their butt all day. Gregor Mendel must have had a intense curiosity and a deep fascination with Botany, to the point where he dedicated his life to it, thus being a monk as well...

Anyways, my professor went on into a little rant about how scientists and religious people don't mix well. (He was referring to Monks now, in general) He went on to say that "religious people" have a hard time accepting facts, as well as seeing reality as it is...

I found this quite ironic that he was bashing the religious persona considering that Gregor Mendel wasn't a quote on quote "Scientist" but actually a MONK!

This made me think a bit deeper into the topic and during class i began to question, what about Mendel's worldly perspective at the time? What facts did he pull from the world? Especially since he was born in the 1820s in the Czech Republic? Perhaps his Monk lifestyle PROVIDED him with massive insights into how reality worked and not his rigid, logical, rational outlook on science as a whole? 

What do you think about this?

Was my teacher right for saying what he did?

Or was he trying to protect the Scientific Paradigm? 

I also teach Universty level genetics.  At one stage of my career, I acted similar to your prof regarding what I saw as irrational. 

Some scientists have such disdain for religion that they will jump on any opportunity to bash it. Mendel is regarded as one of the greats in biology. I wonder if the prof has a distinction between Mendel’s accomplishments and what he perceives as the life of monks in general. (I.e. bashing monks/religion, but not Mendel and genetics). 

To a scientist, science titles are are at a higher level than religion, Mendel’s science acheivements far outweigh anything about his religion. A phd or professorship is a much high level than being a monk, reverand or priest.  Like the difference between an olympic gold medalist vs. being certified in CPR. . . The monk part just makes it a more interesting story. 

You prof has not transceded science and rational thought yet.  He conflates lower level religion with higher level spirituality as both being irrational.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your prof. rants against the paranormal before the semester ends.

The cure for such a delusional scientist would be a biweekly program of 150ug LSD + two hours of Deepak Chopra. 

@Sahil Pandit

He's right from his paradigm. Organized religion has become a huge tool for delusion and unconscious behavior. I know because I grew up Catholic, it's a shit show.

That being said, what your professor hasn't realized yet is that he threw the baby out with the bath water. Organized religion may have been massively corrupted, but there was still a reason people were initially drawn to it besides being delusional. There were actual powerful truths and ideas being conveyed.

Anyway, your professor is on his journey. He believes what he believes because that's just where he is at. Who knows, maybe he'll have a radical shift in perspective as the collective keeps waking up.