moon777light

What are you doing to help stop climate change?

70 posts in this topic

@cetus56 really gets into the limits of rationality too. Or what makes rational thought irrational. 

Edited by Jack River

5 hours ago, Girzo said:

I am doing an engineering degree in Ecoenergy.

:D

12 hours ago, Zweistein said:

@outlandish So, wouldn't it put extreme pressure on politicians and big industries, if let's say more than 50% of people would get actively involved or at least somewhat support the zerowaste-/minimalist living & vegetarian/vegan-movements combined with using bike/trains more than cars & airplanes? 

[..snip..] But can't external and internal change happen at the same time? ?

Absolutely. 100%. This is what we need, hand in hand external and internal. My only point is to be vigilant because there is a message that floats around that we only need to fix ourselves. This message is convenient to big power. We also need to fix the systems, or we're fucked.

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

-David Bohm

Nice quote.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

2 hours ago, Outer said:

Putting pressure on government officials is in indirectly using violence for your means. The question is, are you willing to do that? Does the means justify the end? If some company or individual is polluting the earth, you should talk with them or stop doing business with them, not go to the government and have them change them at gun point.

How is putting pressure on government officials entail using violence? It's not anymore using violence than a boycott is using violence. It's not anymore violence than electing not to vote for those who don't share my values and the interest of the common good. 

Also, I support some degree of government regulation on big business. There's reason for the government to make laws that protect workers and the environment from powerful corporations. But this isn't violence either. This is checking and balancing the power of big business so they can't abuse that power as easily.

Of course, this doesn't work when politicians are in the pockets of big business. So, the way you stop big business from abusing their power is to get big money out of politics... which is also not violence.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

It's a stretch to call putting pressure on the government a form of violence, you have to put it into perspective. It's less violent than eating lettuce. Humanity is currently unleashing the biggest extinction event since meteorites collided with the planet, however many millions of years ago.

If you sit back impotently and allow the fires to keep burning, you are being permissive of a great deal of violence that's being committed on the ecosphere, and ultimately, ourselves.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

1 hour ago, Jack River said:

@cetus56 really gets into the limits of rationality too. Or what makes rational thought irrational. 

@Jack River Every thought/action has an infinite ripple effect. At the time the thought/action may have been totally rational from that limited POV. But the long lasting effects reach so far outside of even the most rational thought eventually it becomes irrational.

So what's left?  The natural flow with the Earth/existance. Than can there be harmony/wholeness and the Earth would be plentiful.

That's a rational sounding thought right? Sounds good?  The Earth and it's inhabitance existing in perfect harmony.

But than what? The population explodes like crazy?xD 

Just something I was pondering while enjoying cookies.:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

Every thought/action has an infinite ripple effect. At the time the thought/action may have been totally rational from that limited POV. But the long lasting effects reach so far outside of even the most rational thought eventually it becomes irrational.

Yep. To many variables for thought to consider. That’s why it’s good to be as rational as we can be. 

6 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

So what's left?  The natural flow with the Earth/existance. Than can there be harmony/wholeness and the Earth would be plentiful.

That's a rational sounding thought right? Sounds good?  The Earth and it's inhabitance existing in perfect harmony.

But than what? The population explodes like crazy?xD 

That’s why understanding that limit makes thought more coherent. Fosho man. I’m with you. ?

We are all one spark, eyes full of wonder

“Take the lowest place, and you shall reach the highest.” 

“In the monastery of your heart, you have a temple where all Buddhas unite.” - Milarepa 

Nothing. I am furthering contributing to the destruction of our planet.

Not procreating, though this is more about not wanting to bring new people into a world being unavoidably devastated by climate change than to actually address the problem, and I probably wouldn't want to have children anyway even without the issue of climate change.  

I've expressed before how it looks like humanity and planet Earth is fucked beyond saving, enjoy it while it lasts, and we'd be lucky not to be die a slow and painful death of excessive heat, drought or famine in the next 50 years. 

But as of recently, climate change is such an obvious in-your-face reality across the entire planet that humanity is forced to address it. It's easy to ignore abstract data, but not so easy to ignore extreme weather phenomena that affects everyone.  

Pragmatic solutions actually have to come from industry, not activism, virtue signaling or personal lifestyle choices. 

As for what the average person can actually do, not being a scientist, engineer, farmer etc. this rings a bell.

On 10/15/2018 at 0:13 PM, Solace said:

The best thing you can do is spiritually awaken. This is because we need to raise the consciousness of this planet in order for electric cars, renewable energy and distribution efforts to third world countries to be sustainably implemented. We have the technology, however the state of consciousness means that there are people in power who want wealth over peoples lives and people’s health:

Yet there is a balance. We can all do our part. While awakening we can be very active in changing the world, forming online or local groups to focus on a particular issue and come up with creative ideas to solve it. 

Always know people’s state of conscious has a great influence over what they can and cannot do, accept, and be willing to change. So go to the core first, and the outside will naturally change. If everyone knew they were Unconditonal Love and not a human being, the world would reflect that back to them, creating true world peace, unity, when we know we are all one.

Being conservative in the usage of eco-harmful products is often a luxury of more populated areas.

Try living in a town of 6k people. Especially of low wealth.

Edited by Shadowraix