moon777light

What are you doing to help stop climate change?

70 posts in this topic

@RichardY No since that would not be economically sustainable, it would fall victim to speclutation. As we are located quite close to a city the value of the land will rise alot and ppl who need money will sell to ppl with money who don´t care about our community. So the organization owns the land and we rent the land from it :)

Edited by luckieluuke

I am doing an engineering degree in Ecoenergy.

Edited by Girzo

@Emerald Bea Johnson's book shows you how to save money while going zerowaste. ?

Also, I think when it comes down to coorporations & politics - it's the individual people's ego involved and their very own ethical values. So, how hippocrit are we, if we are asking for systemic changes without changing our very own values first or at least at the same time? 

Sorry for my rant, but this topic triggers me badly ?

Also, if we talk about solar panels let's not forget their disposal issues when they break or have served their lifetime!

1 hour ago, Zweistein said:

@Emerald Bea Johnson's book shows you how to save money while going zerowaste. ?

Also, I think when it comes down to coorporations & politics - it's the individual people's ego involved and their very own ethical values. So, how hippocrit are we, if we are asking for systemic changes without changing our very own values first or at least at the same time? 

Sorry for my rant, but this topic triggers me badly ?

Also, if we talk about solar panels let's not forget their disposal issues when they break or have served their lifetime!

Again, like I said. We need to take personal responsibility insofar as we are able to. And this will create a demand for real systemic change. So, yes. Personal responsibility is a necessary step.

But it's also important to realize that personal responsibility won't be sufficient to address this issue. And that we realize who the major players in the pollution game are. One percent of the population that takes an interest in these kind of things might go zero waste. But 1% of people going zero waste will never turn the tides in the way that they need to be turned. And it will never be above 3% fo people going zero waste unless there are major changes to our social structure, government structure, and economic structure. 

So, unless we realize this, we will keep shifting 100% of the responsibility onto individuals as opposed to the system that creates these issues... and those who benefit most from those systems.

Until we address these issues on the macro level, the only people doing the work will be the 1% of people chipping away at a glacier with a soup spoon... and the 1% will almost always be people who more than have their needs met. For the poor and working class people, the focus will be on survival from paycheck to paycheck, without regard to things higher on Maslow's hierarchy. And to expect more is being unrealistic.

So, the best ways to combat climate change are when we put the most pressure on big business and government officials. These actions have a much larger net impact than individually going zero waste or doing any other act of personal responsibility. Again, personal responsibility is good and necessary. But it's unrealistic to expect society to change without the power structures changing. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

3 hours ago, cetus56 said:

Thats living the dream!

@Charlotte 100% agree. Raising our own consciousness will in turn make us more aware of this planet. Probably the best way to go about this issue

Do we want to raise consciousness?, or do we want to end consciousness as we know it? 

17 minutes ago, moon777light said:

Can you explain?

Have you ever asked the earth what he thinks about climate change?

11 minutes ago, moon777light said:

Thats living the dream!

@Charlotte 100% agree. Raising our own consciousness will in turn make us more aware of this planet. Probably the best way to go about this issue

Healthy consciousness means that psychological time doesn’t influence that actions we take. This would mean care is taken with every action because truth understands that everything is mutually dependent. Fosho @moon777light?

Edited by Jack River

a lot of people think they can't get rid of their car when they actually can

it's challenging but I'm in excellent shape from walking everywhere, I have more money, I feel complete freedom when I walk out the door, like I can go anywhere (and get drunk there if I want lol) 

there are buses, trains, ferries, taxis, bicycles...idk but I love being car free

also products from china are the worst, everything is made there - if you ever have a choice choose not to buy products from china

be as vegan as you can

23 hours ago, outlandish said:

Thank you for bringing this topic up. It's the critical issue of our time, and it ties in deeply with spirituality and actualization.

We've been mislead into believing that the solution to climate change and environmental devastation lies in our individual hands. We're taught that if only we could we just do a better job of recycling, riding our bikes more and skipping meat on mondays, that everything will be hunky-dory.

Don't get me wrong, individual actions are part of it, extremely important, and commendable. I do all kinds of those things, religiously. However, this is a collective problem and we need high level, collective solutions. That means government, international agreements and regulation. 

The number one solution to climate change is that we need to push the big institutions, politicians, kicking and screaming, into taxing carbon pollution. We need to end coal. We need to push government to end fossil fuel subsidies, slow down fossil fuel industry expansion, and foster renewables and robust high voltage power grids. De-invest in the fossil fuel industry, invest in renewable energy. Vote for local mass transit.

This massive challenge to humanity needs Tier 2 solution and a great deal of progress through the stages for humanity as a whole.

I don't know how bad it's going to get before we do make this progression. I think it's possible we won't, we could fail at this.

OMFG!!! This rang so many bells at the same time. I smell a trap!

I just noticed how we are made to feel responsible and worried for the wrong things. 

We are made to feel guilty for world problems individually; keeping us tensed and busy in debates and activism, while the big fat rats who are the real culprits remain untouched and making their bank accounts heavier.

Similarly, all personal, inner problems like suffering, depression, anxiety aka every problem fundamental to the ego are encouraged to solve from the outside world. Promoting all the bullshit, advertisement and fake solutions like money, family, friends, things.

No wonder none of our personal or world problems ever get truly resolved conventionally as it is preached by the society. The very mechanism and location of the search is misplaced and thus bound to fail, in best case scenarios, producing a mirage of solutions. Fucking trap!

Thanks @outlandish for bringing this one home!

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

Wholeness is an attitude or an approach to the whole of life. If we can have a coherent approach to reality than reality will respond coherently to us. But nature has been tremendously effected by our way of thinking on the Earth. Nature is now being destroyed and there is very little left on Earth that is not effected by how we are thinking.   -David Bohm

1 minute ago, cetus56 said:

Wholeness is an attitude or an approach to the whole of life. If we can have a coherent approach to reality than reality will respond coherently to us. But nature has been tremendously effected by our way of thinking on the Earth. Nature is now being destroyed and there is very little left on Earth that is not effected by how we are thinking.   -David Bohm

I just started watching bohm. He’s the the man?