FredFred

Concentration vs. Awareness in Mindfulness Meditation

148 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jack River said:

Me too. Understanding Fear was the biggest help for me. I spent all day understanding all the hidden fears that were disguised. This lead to awareness of psychological seeking. The awareness seems to end it. 

That's great to hear! It can be incredibly sneaky! As small as a microsecond of an image in the mind which then can create anxiety or some level of fear. I agree the awareness ends it. 

@who chit I've adopted a meditation practice and also quieten the mind during the day doing simple activities such as driving, the gym etc.

@Jack River

2 hours ago, Jack River said:

You have gone into thought and how it is directly related to the the arise of thought?

yes, but not just the rise of thought, how it influences us (and emotions) everyday and everything we do. 

Edited by Charlotte

@Charlotte you seem to be doing hella good. Meditation is life. Should be involved in all activity of life. Awareness doesn’t choose right. So in that sense everything is meditation. Keep it real @Charlotte?

2 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@who chitThis is interesting. quieting the mind can be done as easy as just being in the moment with whatever activity. personally i began quieting the mind while doing weight lifting which was unbelievably freeing. i noticed creativity and joy would spontaneously arise but i was still chasing and suffering from time to time and could not see the false division/illusion in which mind creates. 

Yes. Our natural state is silence. The abiding natural state and silence go hand in hand,they are one in the same. One has never known themselves to be anything other than mind their whole life. That's why this abiding in the true natural self is difficult. First it has to be seen that this is who we really are. That's the awakening. Awakening of truth is the primary thing,but it's also just the beginning. The "I" tendency does return after the "honeymoon"  and does persist for awhile afterward,possibly years. During that time it's all about continually integrating back into that as the "I" tendency weakens. After awakening I was told this would happen. That this "coming and going" would persist for some time,and it's all part of the process,and they weren't bullshitting,loll.
But yeah as the integration really takes hold,and abiding becomes more and more prevalent,the fruit from going through the process blossoms,and I'll just say there's nothing better than coming home. Life just really opens up in a way never perceived before. When this happens,you realize just how imprisoned you really were. And it's a damn shame a large part of humanity will never see this.
Compassion naturally occurs because this is realized.

52 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

@who chit I've adopted a meditation practice and also quieten the mind during the day doing simple activities such as driving, the gym etc.

Awesome. Just spend some time everyday being in that quietness. There doesn't have to be any reason or goal for doing it. It's really just about the intimacy, joy and freedom of being alone in the present moment with You.
Much like Jack and Drew here were talking about.

1 hour ago, DrewNows said:

personally i began quieting the mind while doing weight lifting which was unbelievably freeing. i noticed creativity and joy would spontaneously arise

Interesting how this happens when the "I" is not there,eh. That alone says something.:)

Edited by who chit

25 minutes ago, who chit said:

Awesome. Just spend some time everyday being in that quietness. There doesn't have to be any reason or goal for doing it. It's really just about the intimacy, joy and freedom of being alone in the present moment with You.
Much like Jack and Drew here were talking about.

The ground of being is actual living. ?

4 hours ago, who chit said:

Yes. Our natural state is silence. The abiding natural state and silence go hand in hand,they are one in the same. One has never known themselves to be anything other than mind their whole life. That's why this abiding in the true natural self is difficult. First it has to be seen that this is who we really are. That's the awakening. Awakening of truth is the primary thing,but it's also just the beginning. The "I" tendency does return after the "honeymoon"  and does persist for awhile afterward,possibly years. During that time it's all about continually integrating back into that as the "I" tendency weakens. After awakening I was told this would happen. That this "coming and going" would persist for some time,and it's all part of the process,and they weren't bullshitting,loll.
But yeah as the integration really takes hold,and abiding becomes more and more prevalent,the fruit from going through the process blossoms,and I'll just say there's nothing better than coming home. Life just really opens up in a way never perceived before. When this happens,you realize just how imprisoned you really were. And it's a damn shame a large part of humanity will never see this.
Compassion naturally occurs because this is realized.

Much appreciated insights!

Was just involved in a car accident where i hit an old lady driving down a wet road. Nobody was hurt but she claimed to not have ran a red light even though i was going through a yellow when she pulled out in front of me. This had me so triggered when she wouldn't admit to fault (all i could imagine is she was anticipating a green light while looking the opposite way to see it went yellow), what a test it was...no cameras or witnesses...

Anyways, yup still getting lost in thought. definitely continuing to integrate ^_^

Can somebody please help verify something for me? 

Tonight during meditation I observed the difference between concentration and awareness (I think). 

The only way I could try and describe the differences is concentration is still coming from the perspective of self, it still 'feels' as if it's coming from the point (you), the sights and sounds feel as if they are reaching 'you'.

With awareness, you 'feel' a sense of headless'ness as faceless would say, the perceiver is no longer there, it's dissolved and what remains is pure awareness. 

Am I on to something or chatting shit? ?