Joseph Maynor

What are the Shadow Stages for each of the Spiral Dynamics Stages

49 posts in this topic

@Artaemis noticed you have edited the post a little. do you think you are lazy? what about your illness are you lazy on that? isn’t becoming healthy again work, too? isn’t working everything out for yourself work, too? and when you are good with that - what is the next step? what are you working on? i mean for yourself, not for others?

overcoming the feeling it is work but still noticing what you have and want to do.

Edited by now is forever

@now is forever

I've never been complimented in that way before. Your encouragement has given me strength. Thank you.

I'm not sure if I'm pure of heart. I edit my posts a lot because my B.S. is glaringly obvious to me. Its funny to me when others are aware too. 

Edited by Artaemis

@Artaemis i guess i don’t have unedited comments...

i felt that you care a lot for others and try to make peace between people. so it just felt that way. if you really try to do that while others quarrel don’t you think you are pure at heart? and usually if comments of others hurt you, you listen to what they try to say about their feelings very closely, don’t you?

get aware of your strengths, not only the weaknesses ;)

Edited by now is forever

On 10/22/2018 at 2:37 AM, Joseph Maynor said:

Not my answer you can't.  Be original dude.  Everything you think needs to come outta you.  I've never read anything about Spiral Dynamics beyond the most rudimentary stuff online.  Spiral Dynamics can only be confirmed in and for your own life.  You should be able to confirm every aspect of Spiral Dynamics by looking within such that any other hearsay system of Spiral Dynamics is irrelevant to you.  You're the only thing that exists and you want to look elsewhere for authority to say who you are!  Be careful with hearsay sources in this work if you're at the emptying your cup leg of the personal development circle.

Furthermore, if such information is readily available as you say, why didn't you just tell us.  You made the allegation but then left us high and dry.  If you're gonna allege something, tell us what it is.  Exactly what about my post can you look up on the Spiral Dynamics website?  And what does the Spiral Dynamics website say about it specifically?

The thing is, you are working with a model, right? So when you work withing that model you have to know how it works so not only it's components but also it's behavior. So when you just read the most rudimentary stuff you get the spiral part but you miss the dynamics part.

If you check out the Spiral Dynamics book by Don Edward and Christopher Cowan for instance you can see that the notion that a stage being the shadow of another stage is a view that is not supported by the model, because no stage is better or worse than any other stage. Moving to a higher stage means integrating and extending upon that stage. On the other hand each stage has it's own shadows that actually needs to be worked on in order to move to a higher stage in a healthy way. 

So while it's entirely possible for people to be pulled down to lower stages when things happen, that is just an expression of the shadow aspect of the lower stage that they haven't properly integrated yet.

@Aimblack i think @Joseph Maynor wanted to animate autonomous thinking. with shadow stages he certainly means how stages trigger each other or influence each other in certain ways. how they reach into each other in a counterreactive or codependent way. not every model has to be used strictly as the inventor suggests. but i understood it the same way, the real shadow side of a stage lies inside the stage itself. the stage like a collective ego has something like a character with hidden, suppressed or subconcious shadow sides.

but maybe there is something hidden in reflecting if certain stages are certain stages shadow sides. and maybe there is more meaning to the colour system than just colours. it certainly makes some sense to spend a second thought.

Edited by now is forever

@now is forever Thinking for yourself and studying a model deeply don't have to be mutually exclusive. In my opinion you need to think for yourself in order to study a model deeply. And I think you misunderstood my point. My issue wasn't that he isn't using the model right it's that the claims he makes aren't supported by spiral dynamics it doesn't mean that he is wrong but it means that he is using a different model which needs to be verified and justified on it's own. 

Great thread! I think it should be reactivated and get more serious, and better answers.

I don't think the shadow has to necessarily be an entire stage, it could be only some characteristics.

Blue:

• Clinging to maps, especially high quality/highly accurate ones, and fear having no-maps.
  • Trying to spread the word because it is the absolute truth, not just as a relative tool.
  • Speaking in an absolutist way; i.e. this is that.

Orange:

• Clinging to reason, logic, data, and scientific research as absolute truths, or at least think they have an actual objective value in the real world.
  • Not being able to see beyond one's own interests, i.e. to 'poopoo' other agendas.
  • Confusing Orange for Yellow and using SD for selfish goals, i.e. manipulating systems like in politics.

Green:

• Clinging to 'positivity' and demonising 'negativity'. Examples: I must love everyone, no harm should ever be made to anyone for whatever reason, etc...
  • Being easily misguided due to being overly submissive, especially in the political aspect, i.e. having no independent identity, and adopting any humanitarian political agendas.

That's all I can think of for now, and it's from my personal experience. I can't talk about the higher stages since I still haven't really gotten into tier two.

Edited by Truth Addict