PsiloPutty

Ever thought of becoming a monk for a while?

25 posts in this topic

Like in Thailand or somewhere? Just curious. Might be an incredibly worthwhile thing to do for a year or two. Or longer of course.

25 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

Ever thought of becoming a monk for a while?

If you are really want to become peaceful, meditative, then be in the marketplace , there is the real test of your peace, meditation. 

all the time! I just daydream about it...but I guess I would be a nun not a monk

or if not that then just living in a cheap little place out on one of the islands or in the forest...

35 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

In the marketplace as a monk you mean? Like begging for food?

Renouncing riches is easier, to renounce poverty is not so easy. A drastic change in your lifestyle helps you to become enlightened. It doesn’t matter whether from the palace you move to the streets, or from the streets you move to the palace. 

The people who became beggars became a burden on the society. Because if you have renounced the world, then you don’t have any right to ask for food from that same world; you don’t have any right to ask for clothes, for shelter, from that same world. 

Becoming a monk and beg for food is not very difficult. Drop your ego, mind and knowledge, it is very arduous. 

If my life still sucks at 30 then I’ll find some Zen temple in Sweden for real. :D But Im working hard to find bliss in everyday life. :)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Prabhaker@Prabhaker   I think some monks still go out with their begging bowls every day as a lesson about pride. 

@Rilles  LOL, I always think you dudes are older than you are. And why Sweden? Because of all the buxom blondes over there to test your resolve? :D

@PsiloPutty i live in sweden haha, hope to find me some sexy Zen Bhikkhunis in the monastery ohhh yeah, would you break your vows for me baby ;) 

jk haha yep im a young boy but theres only like one Zen community in Sweden and i dont know if you can actually work/live there unless you own the place or something

@Rilles  Ha, that'd be the pinnacle of temptation. And there's Rilles, his robe around his ankles, goin' at it with a cute little girl monk, both moaning Ohhhhhhhhhm in the throes of forbidden pleasure. You would go down in Swedish monklore.   xD

@PsiloPutty hahaha im dead, find in a Bhik-hunny near your selfaware field nowxD

We are all modern day monks

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

I think there are a few types of monks. The first one: fucked up in life and thought, fuck it, i have nothing to give back to society and i am stuck, so i am going to be a monk. The second one: sombody who tried everything in life, succeeded, but still felt depressed or empty from the inside. This monk sees that our western society is just an infinite rat race where everybody lives in mental illusions, worrying about shit that is not even important. The third one: The believer. This monk does it for his religion. The fourth one: the one who has one purpose, achieving the deepest states of truth a human being can experience. The last type of monk is extremely rare. These people you dont see on YouTube lol.

The reason i am not a monk is because i am not ready yet. Im 21 and first want to do a few solo retreads and getting to know mezelf better to go all in. But eventualy, i think i will be one, because i now already see that a materialistic lifestyle is a waste of life and there are more beautifull things to go after.

39 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I thought of it, but didn't end up doing it because I realized that deep down I wanted to use it as an escape...

+1.

@Dorotheus   I'm not sure which of those would best describe me, other than knowing that I'm not the first one you described. Maybe a combination of the others. 

Soon... in my 6 Acre backyard in the countryside of Transilvania. 

Planning to grow my food and do artisans' works. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I have thought about it a lot. Tgat was 2 years ago. Turned out it was just an attempt to escape from my day-to-day problems (aka spiritual bypass).

2 hours ago, PsiloPutty said:

How do you know that it wasn't just your tricky, threatened ego telling you that monkhood would be a dodge?

I was in a period of a lot of emotional pain. Becoming a monk, I thought, was the solution to put an end to all that sufferig once and for all. 

The main cause of all my misery was social anxiety, which prevented me from cultivating strong bonds with people. 

So, becoming a monk was an attempt to escape dealing with people and instead meditate all day and not talk.