Zizzero

Moving up in Spiral Dynamics when scattered along the stages

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys and girls, so I'm new on this forum :-). Following Leos YouTube channel since a few months, into personal development since maybe two years. 
I have a question concerning Spiral Dynamics; I am currently with one foot in stage yellow. My question is how do I best advance from here? I am more orange than green. I'd assess myself 35% orange, 30% green, 35% yellow. (Yes, I'm sure I don't mistake my yellow for orange. The percentage could be off though) I'm worried about regressing my stage yellow values back into green when attempting to move my orange believes into green. I believe the reason I'm so orange - especially emotionally - and never moved up from typically orange goals like being on top of a hierarchy, pickup or being admired is that it is hard for me to move on from those because I haven't had the proof that those wont make me happy because I don't have too much success in those areas. I haven't had a crisis in many orange areas because I haven't succeeded in orange; I haven't experienced the limit of this stage entirely. Now I could see three potential strategies. Which one would you believe to be the most efficient:
1. Diving into orange; creating individual success and gaining proof that reaching orange goals wont be fulfilling. Going orange to solve the problems orange is trying to solve.
2. Diving into green; focusing on the movement up from orange into green by embracing green values and green lifestyle. Here the worry what happens to my yellow believes; how to avoid regression?
3. Diving into yellow; integrating yellow virtues like nonjudgement or openmindedness even more and living a very yellow lifestyle; fully embodying stage yellow.

Now, there is an inclination within me to do 1. Simply because my ego tells me that I cannot let go of those goals because I haven't experienced them; it first wants to taste the fruit before letting go of it.

Or to ask the more general question: How do you move up or catch up in Spiral Dynamics when you still carry over values from a color at least two stages lower than your highest one?

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you’ve done quite a bit of introspective work. 

To me, your essay looks like high Orange resisting the transition into Green.

It is common for high Orange to want to identify with Yellow and skip Green. 

You know you have embodied Green when you desire Turqouise and resist Yellow. 

Remember SD is just a map - it’s not the territory. I would recomnend using multiple methods. Spiritual teachers, contemplative journaling, self inquiry, meditation and yoga are all great compliments to SD. Even one teacher that you resonate with can help put things into perspective. 

What’s weird is the percentages thing never really resonated with me.  I feel like I’ve made clean shifts into and out of every stage.  There’s usually a beginning entry into a stage, a full flowering period,  and then a period where you start to become aware you’re moving into the next stage.  This whole idea of being 20% this 60% this and 20% that never comported with my actual experience.  It’s more like a stair step than a percentage thing.  It’s like a paradigm shift.  You don’t straddle three paradigms — you move from one paradigm to the next paradigm.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

54 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

@Serotoninluv

I see you as more Stage Turquoise than Stage Green.  

That’s nice to hear from someone at a high consciousness level. 

I think psychedelics rocketed me up to Turqoise, but I still have a prominent Green shadow I’m working through. 

It’s like I’m an unstable Turquoise that keeps falling into Green. It’s still hard for me to work my way back up to Turquoise without psychedelics. 

Too much conceptualization about Spiral Dynamic will hinder you greatly.

It's just a way to know where you're at in general, don't think too much about it.

Same thing with the MBTI test, otherwise you will categorize and classify everything and everyone (including yourself) and that is how life becomes very unsatisfying and dry.
If you take the MBTI test too seriously, you will even inconsciously limit your emotional and intellectual growth.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

20 minutes ago, Shin said:

Too much conceptualization about Spiral Dynamic will hindering you greatly.

What a party pooper ? 

@Joseph Maynor I think if you look closely you can find plenty of situation where your habitual response is that of a much lower stage even if you have a paradigm shift your unconscious coping mechanisms and habits stay unaffected in my personal experience. 

27 minutes ago, d0ornokey said:

@Shin can you elaborate 

What do you not understand ?

God is love

And God in them

9 hours ago, Shin said:

Too much conceptualization

what does this mean? too much theory? isn't contemplation how you breed insight & understanding though? 

9 hours ago, Shin said:

inconsciously limit your emotional and intellectual growth

why will this happen? 

26 minutes ago, d0ornokey said:

what does this mean? too much theory? isn't contemplation how you breed insight & understanding though? 

why will this happen? 

It happens because you will identify too much to the description of your stage, instead of seeing that you already have partially some other stage in you.

You would focus too much on where you are rather than where you might be (or the reverse).

It's interesting to know generalities about the stages, to know there is more than your current way of experiencing life, but that is the only practical purpose of it imo.

More than that and it would just be wasted time that you could actually use to evolve for real.

Also, the more you study a concept like this who classify people, the more your mind will have the tendency to judge and put people into boxes (including yourself), which is limitative and counter-productive.

The MBTI test is even worst if you take it too seriously, you limit yourself even more to be a definite and static archetype, which is even more limitative than Spiral dynamic on some aspects.

Of course all that would be done inconsciously for the most part, but that's what I noticed me doing when I study those concepts too much.

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them