Shroomdoctor

How to build Discipline

33 posts in this topic

@aurum

Discipline with regard to bringing in is much more challenging than letting go. Cutting out destructive habits is conceptually as simple as stop doing them, using will power. You don't have to do anything, just stop doing stuff. But creative or productive discipline can't run on will power alone, as it involves figuring things out for the first time, both actual skills and mustering the mental effort to put yourself through the whole endeavor . 

If I was going to build a brick wall and then paint it, such a task would be straightforward, just do it, sheer willpower, go go go. Totally different that learning to meditate, develop a life purpose, or creating a business, because there are so many layers of complexity involved beyond just taking immediate action to finish a clear-cut project. In this case discipline is sticking with the process despite how confused, bored, lost, uncomfortable, uncertain and minfucked you feel.

@Colin
The 5 second rule! Love this. Will definitily implement this in my routine. Thanks.

@Shroomdoctor I work in manufacturing, and lean methodology is a big deal in my field. A subset of lean philosophy is kaizen, which translates from Japanese to something resembling "continuous improvement". I use a kaizen paradigm to gently ingratiate myself toward change over time, and I can gradually see myself becoming more disciplined. Not perfectly, and not all at once, but little by little. How gradually? Read the book "2 Second Lean" by Paul Akers. He gets his employees together every day and mandates a suggestion from every single one of them that could cut two seconds off of their production time, save two steps, or eliminate a small amount of material waste in some way. Over the years, his company has become so efficient, productive, and profitable that they haven't raised their prices - not even a little bit.

Here's the point: get an overall strategy together about what kind of improvement you're looking for, break it down into micro-steps, and drill those micro-steps every day until they become habit. Repeat. I use an access database to keep track of the habits I'm working on and reference them to calendar days. I do the same with my workouts. (See attached)

Also, take a look at my strategy. Having a strategy that's working toward a goal is a must. For me, that's getting an education, lifting weights, advancing my spirituality, etc. (See attached)

How micro should your steps be? That's up to you. Maybe instead of studying for 30 minutes, you start with 15. Make it manageable, measurable, and commit to improvement over time.

If strategy doesn't work or if you can't commit to a certain habit, try a different plan of attack that might get you to the same thing.

2018-10-03_1903.png

2018-10-03_1906.png

"Teach thy tongue to say 'I do not know', and thou shalt progress." - Maimonides

What works for me is "not breaking the chain."

So, for example, I have a meditation habit of 20 minutes before work. If I am running late one day, I still do a meditation even if it's just 2 minutes because that stops me from "breaking the chain." This keeps momentum but gives room for life to happen. 

nothing is anything

@Shroomdoctor i have the same problem I start with full enthusiasm but then I stop maybe due to lack of descipline or homeostasis or lack of definite purpose in life.

In my journey of self actualization I came across this guy named Martin Meadows. He has written several books on self descipline and has some audio courses on udemy too.. he also had a one to two week email course which was very helpful to me...

Self descipline is like mastery to do it in one area of your life in which you really want to apply it then it will automatically branch into other parts of your life.

Here I am thinking I can push back my work out at 12 instead of doing it now.

Ok I do it now ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

26 minutes ago, Shroomdoctor said:

@aurum Thanks! I might want to be more compassionate with myself.

@Elton I will look him up!

@Shin Do it!

Done it ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

On 10/3/2018 at 3:36 PM, Nexeternity said:

Love, love, love.

Once you connect enough with love you will do all those things you think you need discipline for automatically.  

To me discipline is a dirty word since it implies I am forcing myself to do something I dont naturally want to do and that creates resistance and friction.

Right now I am in a place where I want to read, I want to meditate, I want to work on my life purpose.  After a while you start seeing  how the stuff thats not good for you hurts you and you will naturally drop it or reduce it.

Trust your lack of inspiration.  Maybe you need to spend some time taking it easy and reading or exploring more things in life until you finally hit up on the project which you wont need ANY outside motivation to get you working on it.

Here are some links to videos that can help.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JulieMuse

Advice doesn’t get much better than this. ??❤️

One tiny thing I’d add, is that discipline arises from the decision to love myself; a foundation for making a foundation, the means to new experiences of myself, in which anything can be achieved. To love myself unconditionally, as in;   life... punch me in the face...I don’t care, I won’t stop - it only inspires to know thy self more deeply, to discover what I’m made of more profoundly.

David Groll said it best...

”And I wonder...if anything could ever feel this real forever? If anything could ever be this good again? 

The only thing I’ll ever ask of you; gotta promise not to stop when I say when.”

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Conquering inner Pain. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.