Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fuku

Useless emotions?

9 posts in this topic

So I was wondering if some emotions actually have a real use, or if they're just old habits we should try to get rid of in the long term.
I'm thinking about emotions like anger, jealousy, or pride.  Do those even serve a purpose?
Everyone in an orange or "below" paradox seems to believe it's totally healthy (and not healty to not be angry sometimes. This happened to me a few times. "But you should get angry at this!". And the more it goes, the more I tend to get rid of it.).
Any idea about this? Or other emotions that are believed to be good but are actually not? (I should probably try to find books about psychology, but I also assume those will not take into account non-duality obviously. The notion of unconditionnal love, etc...but yeah, they would probably still be useful. Learning more about the classics before trying to elevate higher. I'm still lacking a lot in sciences and actual experience.)

Why label emotions as useful or not? There's no need to judge emotions for what they are. They do have a purpose, a purpose to be itself. Anger exists because it exists, and this goes for all emotions.

No need to suppress them, or control them. We should just observe them and link with them, be joyful and fulfilled with them. That's the only way because you cannot control anything.

Just my opinion. The study of psychology, and science/actual experience is something you should definitely do to understand emotions and what they are. But never label them as useful or a purpose. Everything has a purpose, and it is for themselves to exist 

You're not human, you're the universe

Emotions are tools your mind uses to maintain itself. There is no such thing as a useless emotion. Every emotion is there keep you being you.

If you want to change, however, (that is, you want to be a new you), then learning to master your emotions is the #1 skill for that. By changing your emotions you change who you are.

How you emote is who you are. Emotions are to a human being what flight controls are to an airplane.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yeah, makes sense. They're here for a reason and I should observe them without being consumed by them like I do when I meditate.
It's just that, seeing how many people are run by some emotions in bad ways everyday, and were it leads them, I thought it'd be better to avoid said emotions. But it's more complicated than that. They're certainly here for a reason, I have to observe and learn why they're here instead of demonizing some thoughts, I suppose. Worst thing is that I kinda knew that already :ph34r: Funny how sometimes we forget what we learn and how to take some distance to look at things.

Edited by Fuku

@Fuku Most people avoid emotions. This results in a "bad" life.

The solution to emotions is not avoidance, but full embrace, acceptance, and consciousness of them.

Most people who act out emotions like fear, anger, sadness, etc. are not really being emotional, they are doing the opposite: avoiding emotions.

@Sahil Pandit You need a serious mindfulness practice. 

@Fuku @Sahil Pandit The Work of Byron Katie. It’s really working for me! Get the book ‘Loving What Is’.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Not going deep into emotions, no awakening, no real life. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.