Shin

The reasons to become Vegetarian/Vegan

39 posts in this topic

I will just leave here what are the main reasons that I often found on the internet or by talking to people on why it is a good idea.

I'm not gonna give any links, it's a condensed of everything I heard and read.
If you need proofs, there is enough evidences and studies on Google and YouTube ready for you to read and Watch :) 

I'm curious about what people in here who have experience in it can say about it (what is true or not in their experience),
And if they could share tips on how to start (for cheap, I'm a student xD)

731a3443fada7fb848306fbe2b992381.jpg

1. It's more healthy for you, there is  a decrease in certain type of illness (cancer, diabetes and heart disease for example), you will avoid toxic chemicals (to an extent), it boosts your immunity system, you will have a better digestion, and it makes you live longer.
  2. It will instantly shield you against any viral infection from any meat whatsoever (shit will hit the fan one day).
  3. It helps against World Hunger, because if you think of it, all the grains and water that are used to feed animals could be used to feed hungry people, directly.
  4. It gives you more Energy than a regular diet, you will feel less sleepy and more alert after your meal.
  5. It reduce global warming, because livestocks generate an absurdly high amount of gases 
  6. It makes you thinner, that's an obvious one.
  7. It will give you a better sex life, becouse it will increase your libido, you will have a better blood flow, and since you have more Energy, well ...
  8. It eases animal suffering, since you will not eat any meat, you will therefore not support the atrocity done on animals anymore (at least not on this aspect).
  9. It will be less expensive, that's a no-brainer, raising animals cost more than producing vegetables, therefore the cost of a meal containing meat is necessary higher on average (we're talking about self-cook meal obviously).
  10. Becouse these guys were: The Buddha, Leonardo De Vinci, Gandhi, Albert Einstein and your Lord and Savior Leo ( B| )

image.jpg

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

7 hours ago, Shin said:

It makes you thinner, that's an obvious one.

No, careful, it depends. I actually got the fattest I ever was on a vegetarian diet. There's still some kind of junk food. Plus alcohol, cheese, sugary drinks...but yeah, if you eat healty vegan/vege food, it's hard to put on weight i you're not actually trying to. Since I dropped alcohol, anything else than water, and diminished dairy and bread, I lost a lot of weight and I don't see myself putting it back on.

Otherwise, I am obviously convinced of those points as my current diet is something like 80%vegan/20%vegetarian, and I think it's all for the greater good, but I'm actually curious about hearing convincing negative points to have a balanced opinion. Not sure I missed something besides :
- need B12 supplements
- need to eat more and specific foods to get a certain amount of certain nutrients

Edited by Fuku

10 hours ago, Fuku said:

Not sure I missed something besides :
- need B12 supplements
- need to eat more and specific foods to get a certain amount of certain nutrients

all factory meats are heavy supplemented with B12 because their diet has 0 grass , so unless you eat pure organic meat of grass-fed animal you are supplementing as well, just taking the supplement second hand. 

Most plant foods, especially unprocessed wholefoods are way way more dense in nutrients than most animalfoods. The exceptions being organs such as liver and heart which are "superfoods" in animal kingdom but most people do not eat those anyways. 

agreed that there is tons of vegan and vegetarian junkfood but those are in omnivour diet likewise. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 10/3/2018 at 8:08 AM, Fuku said:

but I'm actually curious about hearing convincing negative points to have a balanced opinion.

I wrote a reply to why I don't think vegan is right for everyone on this other thread.  Towards the end...

Also I am not looking for a fight or anything here.  This is a playlist with lots of people who quit Veganism and are coming out about it.  Most will automatically write them off saying 'they didn't do it right' but there are many who claim they tried various approaches and most for years (even in some of the titles you will see it said).  I am just going to leave the playlist here so if anyone genuinely wants to check them out they can, because most people don't seem to hear about this side to it.

Also here is an excellent resource from a recent Joe Rogan podcast where Paleo advocate Chris Kresser debated vegan cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn.

This has recent RCT studies showing that meat (cholesterol/saturated fat) is not bad for us like we once assumed.  The article brings up facts about vegan and vegetarian deficiencies and sheds light on why a lot of the info we have about nutrition today could be off due to us still using outdated epidemiology studies which are not very reliable. 

It busts a lot of myths about meat and puts emphasis on it's importance for health for us:
https://chriskresser.com/why-eating-meat-is-good-for-you/?utm_source=rogandebate&utm_medium=shortlink&utm_term=rogandebate&utm_content=&utm_campaign=rogandebate_rogan

I mean the simple solution to me seems to phase out animal meat with lab meat and fund lab meat development.

@AMS

1 hour ago, AMS said:

Also here is an excellent resource from a recent Joe Rogan podcast where Paleo advocate Chris Kresser debated vegan cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn.

This was a terrible interview imo. Although some brilliant arguments were passed, I felt Joe wasn't really neutral here. Joel has been interrupted way way more times than Chris. Obviously, since Joe is a heavy meat eater himself, he would have a bias. On the other hand, I often found Chris very grounded and chilled where Joel was a bit neurotic to achieve his point but then, it was 2 against 1. It turned out to be a typic debate between vegan and carnivore where they are just throwing out studies to prove their point. The interview should have gone completely different way and there was soo much these two could talk about like fasting, longevity, autoimmune conditions, weight loss , not pickering like 2 kids around saturated fats. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 10/4/2018 at 10:29 AM, Michael569 said:

@AMS

This was a terrible interview imo. Although some brilliant arguments were passed, I felt Joe wasn't really neutral here. Joel has been interrupted way way more times than Chris. Obviously, since Joe is a heavy meat eater himself, he would have a bias. On the other hand, I often found Chris very grounded and chilled where Joel was a bit neurotic to achieve his point but then, it was 2 against 1. It turned out to be a typic debate between vegan and carnivore where they are just throwing out studies to prove their point. The interview should have gone completely different way and there was soo much these two could talk about like fasting, longevity, autoimmune conditions, weight loss , not pickering like 2 kids around saturated fats. 

Actually the Rogan podcast was filled with misinformation and incompetence from both sides:

7 hours of free schooling and explanations, very interesting to actually get to understand where these people make mistakes or are simply incompetent.

Glory to Israel

@Charlotte

Where are you ?

@Charlotte

Yes.

Yes it is ?

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

@AMS Thanks for the link to the videos, I would just like to add, whether he is trolling or not, one probably should not make such comments:

Fan:
Sv3rige, bro.. I've been a fan of your videos for a while. But are you really saying it's okay to murder and eat people?.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Sv3rige:
Yes.

One of the first comments in this video (I did not see the video itself. I have watched the video now and yes, he is actually crazy, I would not believe a word that is said on his channel):

Edited by Dragallur
watched the video

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Dragallur said:

@AMS Thanks for the link to the videos, I would just like to add, whether he is trolling or not, one probably should not make such comments:

Fan:
Sv3rige, bro.. I've been a fan of your videos for a while. But are you really saying it's okay to murder and eat people?.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Sv3rige:
Yes.

One of the first comments in this video (I did not see the video itself. I have watched the video now and yes, he is actually crazy, I would not believe a word that is said on his channel):

Haha yep he says some pretty outrageous stuff which I also don't instantly subscribe to!  I think his point about the it is okay to murder and eat people thing is that morals are a human construct, still a pretty stupid way to reply though.  I wouldn't imagine he actually practices that in real life...and then go say it on the internet. 

I'm not totally defending him for such crazy claims but at the same time I don't think it's wise to dismiss everything just by not agreeing with certain points of view.  Most of his nutrition information I have found to be rather accurate and in-depth when comparing it to other sources I have seen along with my direct experience and more than a decade worth of anecdotal strict carnivorous eating accounts from thousands on a facebook group I'm apart of (still on nutrition don't agree 100% with Sv3rige).  If nothing else is taken from him then at least he has done a service by interviewing ex vegans who had their health decline on the diet and allowed them to have a good platform to tell their story to potentially help others.

For me personally, this video was the biggest game changer to seeing the importance of meat so will leave it here if anyone is interested. Goes into depth about how our digestive systems have adapted very well to digesting meat and I can vouch for this myself it being the only thing I can easily eat.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:31 AM, Shin said:

1. Becouse these guys were: The Buddha, Leonardo De Vinci, Gandhi, Albert Einstein and your Lord and Savior Leo ( B| )

I didn't think Leo was. I haven't watched too many of his videos lately, has he switched to Vegan?

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

For me, I am Vegan because I don't want to participate in harming animals when I don't have to do so to survive. It doesn't make sense for me to continue consuming animal products for the enjoyment I get from consuming them if I can get all my nutritional needs met through a Vegan diet.

Also, I can barely watch videos of slaughterhouses without it haunting me for days... so I take that as a pretty good indicator that I should not be participating or subsidizing those practices. So, a lot of it comes from listening to the wisdom that my emotions have to offer. 

As far as the health benefits, I don't necessarily think that animal products are bad for you in moderation. They might be. But I'm honestly not sure. There's so many conflicting dietary dogmas. But I know that I feel better eating a Vegan diet, but I don't know if it's because it's Vegan or because many of the junk foods that I like to eat have dairy and eggs in them... and now I can't eat them unless I splurge and get the Vegan version of it, which is rare. 

Edit: Also, I think the global warming and wasting resources arguments are valid and important to look at for people trying to create major social change. I anticipate that with the invention of lab-grown meat, animal agriculture will begin being an obsolete practice. But until then, I think Veganism is the best way to go. 

Edited by Emerald

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

I eat a Whole-Food Plant-Based (WFPB) diet for health.  It lowed my cholesterol from good to excellent.   Otherwise I have not noticed a difference because I was already healthy.  For me, it's more of a long-term investment for better health later in life.

Not all vegetarian or vegan diets are healthy.  WFPB is the healthiest, and science backs up that claim.

More information about WFPB is at https://gist.github.com/wolfv6/5bec2304b8294d84ff0d65488c8179ef

lol you won't continue to eat meat for very long if you watch Earthlings for the full duration.

I double dare you xD:(xD:(:S

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

@Shin 90% of my diet is fish, eggs, milk and vegetables. Giving up meat and animal products is too hard for me ? ? because its all so delicious 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

15 hours ago, lmfao said:

@Shin 90% of my diet is fish, eggs, milk and vegetables. Giving up meat and animal products is too hard for me ? ? because its all so delicious 

Did you see how fish are treated in Earthlings ?

Fisht/meat, same shit.

God is love

And God in them