Lynnel

How do you handle meaninglessness ?

25 posts in this topic

More precisely, how do you handle the negative beliefs and discomfort related to the lack of meaning ? Why do we all crave meaning so much ?

I know meaning and value are inherently related to the ego and simply meaning is what we believe is the best for your egoic survival. So when we feel that everything is meaningless and it's negative does that mean the ego is dying and there is nothing to do for it to survive ?

Even while having a life purpose this complete lack of meaning is killing me (lol). Everything is truly truly meaningless and I've assigned something very negative to it.

What do you do when you feel very lost and all of the previous things you assigned value and meaning to are now meaningless so that the whole world and existence feels totaly meaningless ?

I feel like my transitionning from orange to green is taking it's toll because the values/meanings actually change.

Surrender your whole life to the Truth.

Don't ask why or how.

Just do it.

You are not important. Your needs are not important. Let it all go.

Once everything is let go, there are no more problems.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Assigning a meaning to existence is putting a limit on the unlimited. The negative reaction is ego assigning another limit to continue surviving.
Instead of assigning a meaning,let reality reveal itself to you.Meaninglessness is the old construct falling away to allow openness and clarity to a new way of "seeing" / perceiving.

Meaninglessness,in the broader sense is  'I thought I knew",but now realize that "I didn't really know". Ego doesn't like "not knowing". But,"I don't know", allows for a new possibility to arise.

As Leo suggested, Let go, and let the mystery unfold/reveal itself to you. Eventually,this is what it will come to anyway. The more resistance there is,the tougher it will be. This is a continuous unfolding,which also calls for a continuous surrendering or "allowing" for what is to be as it is. 

Edited by who chit

It's hard to discuss this in the abstract.

I don't know you or what's missing in your life.

A sense of meaninglessness can come from more basic deficiencies in your life.

I went through a period like that in my early 20s and in retrospect it had nothing to do with existential bullshit, it was more developmental/psychological.

I think if you lay all this BS aside, look critically at yourself and see what you're neglecting as far as your self-development, you can figure out how to cure it.

Maaan I just apply meaninglessness to the meaninglessness. It literally doesnt matter that it doesnt matter

One of the funny things about nihilism is people often apply a negative meaning to meaninglessness.

As you transition to green, make sure to do what you can to avoid moralization, otherwise it might cause you a lot of inner turmoil from my experience.

A lot of inner conflict for me was projecting my ideal reality onto reality itself and getting upset when they don't align.

Reality is what it is, and you must accept that. Your desires will tell you what you want of the world. Advocate for change all you want, you may or may not be successful, we'll find out.

Keep your mind on the stars but your eyes on your feet. It all might be meaningless and/or an illusion but that doesn't change it will feel real and meaningful for you. There is an absolute truth but also the relative truth.

2 hours ago, who chit said:

Meaninglessness,in the broader sense is  'I thought I knew",but now realize that "I didn't really know". Ego doesn't like "not knowing". But,"I don't know", allows for a new possibility to arise.

Nice!?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Leo Gura  @Emerald

I had some progress.

(I'm tagging you Emerald because I watched your video on meaning quite a number of times, thanks for this one it helped !)

In a recent trip there was a point where I was feeling good during the come down, in short simply the joy of being and I had the insight that pleasure is meaningless. Like there is no purpose and meaning in pleasure !!

That was a mindfuck because I listed recently all of my activities and recognized that I am simply a dopamine fueled monkey as everyone is. And I was wondering whether life is more than just chasing dopamine ? Well xD Feeling good as a result of NOTHING (=? simply being) was so counter-intuitive because I always used that as a indicator of everything going on fine. And now I understand a bit deeper how I construct meaning/purpose for things in my life and I'm hyped to deconstruct this a bit more ;) 

There is meaning in life. Every single second, every pain, every event, our scope is just too limited to see it.

You can experience the sense of purpose and direction in the self, just as you can experience other facets of non duality. People don’t talk about it as much, but seeing that facet of non duality, made my experience so much more meaningful.

Non duality without that facet is sad to me now.

Fourth way path

Scottish physician Maurice Nicoll went and met with Carl Jung. Then he went and visited the Mystic Gurdjieff.

He chose Gurdjieff over Jung as a Teacher.

This is from his 1400 pages of Psychology Commentaries on The Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky.

Osho read it and gave it high praise and said it's a shame that it doesn't get read more.

The essence of the idea of Karma-Yoga is to meet with unpleasant things equally with pleasant things. That is, in practicing Karma-Yoga, one does not seek always to avoid unpleasant things, as people ordinarily do. Life is to be met with non-identifying. When this is possible, life becomes one's teacher; in no other sense can life become a teacher, for life taken as itself is meaningless, but taken as an exercise it becomes a teacher. It is not life that is a teacher, but one's relation through non-identifying makes it become a teacher. Nothing can change being so much as this practice - namely, to take the unpleasant things in life as an exercise. (Maurice Nicoll, Commentaries, Vol. 1)

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

We create meaning, that's not necessarily something bad due. I handle it by understanding that meaning is not necessary, there are deeper things. Existence doesn't need meaning, it is already complete the way it is. That's how I see it.

Edited by tentacion

On 9/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, Lynnel said:

What do you do when you feel very lost and all of the previous things you assigned value and meaning to are now meaningless so that the whole world and existence feels totaly meaningless ?

I've gone through this, and quite frankly, I'm not sure there is a way out. I've been stuck here for 5 years. The good news is that the feeling of meaninglessness has lessened. The question I have for you is why does life feel meaningless? I have a few resources for you to check out and see if the shoe fits, but I'm curious to hear more about your experience.

Meaninglessness is great bliss :)

Please do not pay attention to my empty words if you are following Leo's teaching !!
Sometimes my empty words may appear too negative, too rational, too irrational, egoistical or even like trolling because my path is a non-path and is nothing but deviation and incompatible with all teachings known.

5 minutes ago, ivory said:

I've gone through this, and quite frankly, I'm not sure there is a way out. I've been stuck here for 5 years. The good news is that the feeling of meaninglessness has lessened. The question I have for you is why does life feel meaningless? I have a few resources for you to check out and see if the shoe fits, but I'm curious to hear more about your experience.

Have you read the updated post ?

23 hours ago, Lynnel said:

@Leo Gura  @Emerald

I had some progress.

(I'm tagging you Emerald because I watched your video on meaning quite a number of times, thanks for this one it helped !)

In a recent trip there was a point where I was feeling good during the come down, in short simply the joy of being and I had the insight that pleasure is meaningless. Like there is no purpose and meaning in pleasure !!

That was a mindfuck because I listed recently all of my activities and recognized that I am simply a dopamine fueled monkey as everyone is. And I was wondering whether life is more than just chasing dopamine ? Well xD Feeling good as a result of NOTHING (=? simply being) was so counter-intuitive because I always used that as a indicator of everything going on fine. And now I understand a bit deeper how I construct meaning/purpose for things in my life and I'm hyped to deconstruct this a bit more ;) 

I think my shift into meaninglessness was due to similar realizations. But I also struggled with the notion that nothing lasts and that pleasure wasn't as abundant as I had once hoped. Relationships come and go, health declines, we have to spend so much time doing things not of our choosing, we have very little control over external factors, etc. I had to really reassess what I valued in relationships, work, hobbies, health, personal growth, education, and spirituality. Now I pursue more simple pleasures rather than highs and peak experiences. I'm much more at peace but sometimes I struggle with the fact that most people have really shitty or non-existent value systems which makes me feel a bit isolated.

There is no meaninglessness anymore after you drop everything. Everything seems new all the time :) 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Meaninglessness can be seen from multiple perspectives; it can be liberating and absolutely freeing beyond belief, or it can be depressing as fuck and make you want to kill yourself. Interesting how different of a reaction one can have, no? I personally have experienced both of these. Unbelievable joy, simplicity and ease as my default state after remembering the meaninglessness of existence. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've dealt heavily with depression the past few months about this inherent meaninglessness in our existence. What caused the change in these experiences? Ego, ego, ego. The ego is a sneaky little cu** that will use whatever it can to hold on. The ego cannot make sense of meaninglessness and this is a huge blow to it. If it can trick you (as it has for me) in to identifying with it and the negative emotions, it remains the tyrant over your true, silent consciousness. Acceptance/surrender is the antithesis of the ego. All about making an identity out of something whether its good or bad. The ego will constantly try to corrupt the beauty of existence for its own self surviving agenda.

Once you can become fully okay with meaninglessness, depression, the evil shit you're now conscious of within Orange and below, it's all good. It's all a part of reality that must be there.