seeking_brilliance

Is the earth round?

25 posts in this topic

Ok now hear me out... This isn't one of those conspiracy theories about the earth being flat (although I do wonder if there are dimensions that exist which in their perspective we could appear as a two-dimensional object as a beautiful painting does to us... But i digress...) 

During a session of spiritual autolysis I revisted a topic that came up in a book I have yet to finish.  The question is how do we really know the earth is round? Beyond all assumptions and facts that others have told us.  It suggests to imagine being from a few centuries ago, when it was common knowledge that the earth was flat. Suggestions that the earth was round was laughed at and hated.  Imagine the paradigm shift.  (sidenote: I find it interesting and kind of sad that this paradigm shift could only be experienced by this particular generation of people. Any generation afterwards would be born in the world of this so called round earth, and never understand what it was like to think otherwise.) 

And I came to the conclusion that I don't know if the earth is round.  I have no direct experience of this.  I fairly believe in what others have told me about it and the rest of the known universe, but I have no flippin clue!

So my question is : is there a way to directly experience the roundness of the planet, besides becoming an astronaut and seeing it from a different perspective? Traveling does not work because it proves nothing. (although "I" love(s) traveling ?) 

Or should I be satisfied with the fact that I will probably never know, in direct experience whether or not it has a shape at all. 

As I wrote at the end of my autolysis, I was questioning the phrase as a whole -

"The earth is round. Is it? I would like to experience that for myself. But until then it isn't 100% pertinent information.  I can still navigate through life (whatever that is) without knowing for sure if the earth truly is round." 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@Colin wasn't that cool? By the way I'm not denying that the earth is round. I'm denying that I could possibly know this for sure, from direct experience.  I can visibly see in the video that you shared that the earth is very convincingly round.  But how can I know if seeing can be trusted? What is seeing? Who or what sees? 

@seeking_brilliance For $16,000 you can pay the Russians to fly you to the edge of space in a MIG.

You could also get a small sail boat and travel around the entire globe and when you return home you will discover that you lost (or gained) 1 day.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@seeking_brilliance For $16,000 you can pay the Russians to fly you to the edge of space in a MIG.

You could also get a small sail boat and travel around the entire globe and when you return home you will discover that you lost (or gained) 1 day.

Or grab yourself a spacesuit and jump from the stratosphere.:S

Better view. B|

Edited by Big Guru Balls

If your name is on the guest list, No one can take you higher
Everybody says I've got... great balls of fire!

You can build yourself a weather balloon that will take photos from the stratosphere with materials under $100. please stop this nonsense.

5 hours ago, Big Guru Balls said:

Or grab yourself a spacesuit and jump from the stratosphere.:S

Better view. B|

Holly Shit.....  Like they say  " white people are crazy" ?

@seeking_brilliance Actually the idea that people thought the Earth was flat until a few hundred years ago is modern day myth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160126-how-we-know-earth-is-round

And if you want to prove it yourself, you don't need to go to space. You can repeat Eratothanes' experiment:

https://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/eratosthenes.html

That experiment led him to calculate the circumference of the Earth almost perfectly, two millenia ago 

@Leo Gura interesting....  I'll check my bank account ?

So once I do this, i can confidently say that I know the earth is round? Or is it then a matter of does the earth even exist at all?  I'm saying this  for autolysis purposes. Trying to come to a "true" statement. 

I have to admit that the way this is presented in "The Damdest Thing" is a bit obscure and confusing... 

@p1xelmonk @Telepresent thank you guys for the information... As I said I don't really care if the earth is round. There's enough strong evidence for it that I believe it is.  But for autolysis, I have to write something i know to be true. And if I can't even do that for something as simple as whether the earth is round, how the hell am I supposed to figure out what I am? 

Or perhaps that's the answer : what I am is the only thing I can truly directly experience. Any direct experience using a sense such as sight or touch can not be trusted because senses can not be trusted.  

@seeking_brilliance "The Earth is round" is a belief. None of us actually have any direct experience of it.

For autolysis purposes, you admit that it is a belief, that you don't know, and that even if it were true, it would be a relative truth.

With autolysis you are looking for Absolute Truth. Which means if it was not present before the Big Bang, it is false.

Absolute Truth can only be found in your direct experience. It is what you are. It is the feeling of reality itself.

If autolysis is to find "what I am",then why not go directly to that? 
Do you exist?

@seeking_brilliance You can have a direct experience of whatever is present in your direct experience.

The marble both is and is not Absolute Truth. Depends on how you look at it.

Remember that in the end, all dualities will collapse, including your duality between duality vs nonduality, relative vs absolute, and you vs the marble.

Be the marble, be the universe, be God ;)

I know that you're not trying to say that the Earth is flat from your comments but it's funny how people once believed it was flat since this is how it would look like if it was:

If looks hilarious xD

Flat-Earth.jpg

@who chit oh trust me, I have... And will continue to come back to it until there is satisfaction.  But last night I was wanting to try something different and I remembered the question that was posed in "the book knowing".  

@Leo Gura funny, I was contemplating after I asked that question, and I figured you would tell me to be the marble and find out for myself.  Ha. 

@Roman Edouard yes it would look quite strange... Although not impossible if there were retainer walls built up high enough to hold the water in ? obviously we would notice those walls though if we flew close enough to the "edges" of the earth. 

3 hours ago, seeking_brilliance said:

But for autolysis, I have to write something i know to be true. And if I can't even do that for something as simple as whether the earth is round, how the hell am I supposed to figure out what I am? 

Not quite. The (paraphrased) instruction is "write something you know to be true, or believe to be true, and keep reducing it until you reach what is true". So knowing that you don't know for sure that something you know in everyday terms is 'true' (I.e. Earth being round) is very much a part of that reduction process. Now take it further: reduce the various reasons, ways, evidences etc. that we've brought up in this thread and reduce them down to what they truly seem to be. Then take that and reduce it down. 

By reducing, we recognise and understand what is not absolutely truthful in our understanding; thought-images, conceptual models, emotional beliefs of ourselves and the world - we take all these things and attempt to identify what is untrue about them. When something is identified as untrue, it can be put down. Eventually, maybe we put everything untrue down. 

So it's not about figuring out what you are, it's putting down what you're not. And I think one of the biggest risks is believing what anybody else says you 'truly' are. Because your head-canon of what they mean becomes a new thing you carry around, a new untruth. Many people seem to be trying to figure out how they can prove to themselves they are infinite consciousness or whatever. Don't. Won't work, can't win. Just find what is untrue in every word, thought, deed, and belief, and put them down

14 hours ago, seeking_brilliance said:

Ok now hear me out... This isn't one of those conspiracy theories about the earth being flat (although I do wonder if there are dimensions that exist which in their perspective we could appear as a two-dimensional object as a beautiful painting does to us... But i digress...) 

During a session of spiritual autolysis I revisted a topic that came up in a book I have yet to finish.  The question is how do we really know the earth is round? Beyond all assumptions and facts that others have told us.  It suggests to imagine being from a few centuries ago, when it was common knowledge that the earth was flat. Suggestions that the earth was round was laughed at and hated.  Imagine the paradigm shift.  (sidenote: I find it interesting and kind of sad that this paradigm shift could only be experienced by this particular generation of people. Any generation afterwards would be born in the world of this so called round earth, and never understand what it was like to think otherwise.) 

And I came to the conclusion that I don't know if the earth is round.  I have no direct experience of this.  I fairly believe in what others have told me about it and the rest of the known universe, but I have no flippin clue!

So my question is : is there a way to directly experience the roundness of the planet, besides becoming an astronaut and seeing it from a different perspective? Traveling does not work because it proves nothing. (although "I" love(s) traveling ?) 

Or should I be satisfied with the fact that I will probably never know, in direct experience whether or not it has a shape at all. 

As I wrote at the end of my autolysis, I was questioning the phrase as a whole -

"The earth is round. Is it? I would like to experience that for myself. But until then it isn't 100% pertinent information.  I can still navigate through life (whatever that is) without knowing for sure if the earth truly is round." 

@seeking_brilliance That is a question of epistemology. How do you know anything? How do you know China exists? Have you been there? How do you know there are other galaxies? How do you know the elements form molecules? How do you know that a Mormon's magic underwear doesnt actually protect them? How do you know human sacrifice isnt effective (Jesus'). How do you know cannibalism doesnt have some spiritual benefit (catholic sacrament turning into human flesh and blood)?

You cant know anything for sure other than you are having a conscious subjective experience. Other than that, consider Russell's teapot and Occam's Razor and think in terms of probability. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot