Slifon

Why my ego doesn't drop?

20 posts in this topic

I have full understanding of ''enlightenment" but for some reason my ego doesn't drop, why? 

24 minutes ago, Slifon said:

I have full understanding of ''enlightenment" but for some reason my ego doesn't drop, why? 

Hmmm, perhaps millions of years of human evolution and a lifetime of social conditioning has something to do with it?

Self actualization is paddling upstream.

@Slifon Ego means I in latin. YOU drop, not "your ego"

Edited by Echoes

@Slifon Is there an expectation there that the ego should drop and doesn't that feed the ego instead, putting a goal or expectation in the future?

It's not about understanding of enlightenment.  That doesn't mean anything, doesn't count for anything.

It's about overcoming the fundamental fear of death.  Maybe not physical death, but death of self-concept, which is equally frightening.

It's like, here's a 200 foot drop and rocks below.  Are you ready to jump?

I tell you that you'll be fine, you'll magically sprout wings and fly away, but do you believe me?

If no, that's why it's so hard.

Edited by Haumea2018

I can see that there is no self who experiencing, what I call myself I can see it now that is just an experience like everything else, but identification is still there. 

Here's the most important line from that video: "I recommend forgetting about enlightenment."

The path he described will get you to the witness state or the "I am" state but no further. Do not mistake this state for enlightenment. Enlightenment is when every trace of being an "I", in other words "I am-ness" dissolves. At that state you have been fully immersed in the self, so there is no longer any distinction between the seer and the seen. 

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

Ego & Enlightenment is like Love, cannot be understood while sleeping. 

Edited by Hellspeed

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Because Thinking is not enough to rid yourself of Ego.  You need to see that Ego is an illusion, and that goes way beyond thinking.  A lot of people don’t want to flatten the illusion or see through the illusion because they cling to the illusion.  That’s what Ego is — clinging to the illusion.  All the thinking in the world cannot replace seeing.  Thinking can only tee you up for seeing.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Your ego is just your beliefs and assumptions.

Drop all of those and see what's left ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 minute ago, Shin said:

Your ego is just your beliefs and assumptions.

Drop all of those and see what's left ?

Ego is also clinging to Experience not just to Thought.  Almost nobody ever mentions the Experience element of Maya.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

It doesn't drop, because the idea that there's someone who wants to achieve enlightenment goes against enlightenment.

The idea that you want to become enlightened is what avoids enlightenment to happen. It's very tricky.

That's why Alan Watts said that becoming enlightened is like "biting your own teeth"

How can you leave your identity behind when you continue to attach labels to a construct of self?

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

This is such a funny question. Do you understand what it truly means for ego to drop? It means DEATH. Not metaphorical death - literal death. There is no 'you' and 'ego' - you who wrote this post, you are the ego. There is no way you can drop your ego without first dropping the concept of dropping your ego - i.e., first you must get rid of the desire to drop your ego to even have a chance at dropping your ego. Now do you understand why its so difficult? Of course you must understand that I who is writing this post is also an ego - so you are being advised by another ego. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

Leo put it pretty good, it's like knowing how to become a millionaire but actually becoming one isn't as easy ? Enjoy the path my friend, keep inquiring?

I have full understanding of water and all it’s material properties. It’s hydrogen and oxygen in certain proportions, it boils at 100 degrees centigrade at sea level. It can come in many forms and is a necessary component for life. I can look up the density...and so on.

You are in a desert and have not had a drink for days, on the verge of death. Will all the understanding in the world be able to quench your thirst? 

On 25/09/2018 at 5:30 PM, Slifon said:

my ego

what is it that possesses an ego?

unborn Truth

@Slifon You literally forgot that your ego is YOU!!!!!! You can't drop You. You have to die for ego to be gone and I am positive you can't kill yourself. Understanding Enlightenment isn't enough, You have to do enlightenment work to kill your YOU to the point you don't recognize your name. Your body will even feel empty and that might scare the shit of you because there is no more YOU inside the body. Your body will be alive but very empty of all thoughts and even most of the emotions that define YOU. You will be just simple animal as all animal beings.

"Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And The Face of your Lord Full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever❤️" Quran: Surat Ar-Rahman (The Merciful)

"We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient"?Quran: Suratal Al-baqarah (The Cow)