SageModeAustin

Miyato Musashi. An Enlightened Samurai

24 posts in this topic

Miyato Musashi was an epic samurai who slayed over 60 men in fights and duels during the Edo period.

In his later years he looked back upon his life tearing his soul apart trying to figure out what made his strategy so distinct. 

His book is called the Book of Five Rings (Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, No-Thing)

Here's some quotes by him. 

The Way of the Warrior is based on no-thing-ness. No-thing-ness is not to be understood as a "thing" because it then would be based on a conception of something, which would not be no-thing. The Zen term for "no-thing" which is the closest we can come to defining "no-thing" is called Mu. 

If you understand what exists then you can understand that which does not exist.  This means that although it is impossible to know that which does not exist, it is possible to know that if anything is anything, then everything is everything. 

The spirit is no-thing-ness means that there is no such thing as relying upon anything at all outside of your individual mind. 

When students come to understand no-thingness they will also come to understand the koans. 

In the Way of the Warrior there is no such thing as thought. 

You can come close to understanding no-thing by realizing that there is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself. 

Things will never appear to be what they truly are. But if you look at things with no attachment to them you will come to understand your place. 

There is virtue in the universe, but it should not be confused with good and evil. Wisdom exists, principles exist, and the Way of the warrior exists, but spirit is no-thing-ness. 

YOU are the Spirit of the Thing Itself!

I believe he was enlightened. Clear signs of Non-Duality, humbled ego and a clear awareness of what he actually is. 

Edited by SageModeAustin

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

I love that guy :)

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

@SageModeAustin you mean the book of five rings?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

Now fight.

@SageModeAustin i did didnt get much from it

It's you.

Now fight.

Add Bruce Lee there too

Also take in the fact that an enlightened person can excel to the highest (with no limit) level in a particular field with the best possible ways/options

So Bruce Lee was the universe fighting as that body/mind to a certain degree.

Cant beat the Universe in a MMA fight :)

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@SoonHei

“Using no way as a way, having no limitation as limitation”...

“Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception.”..

To realize freedom the mind has to learn to look at life, which is a vast movement, without the bondage of time , for freedom lies beyond the field of consciousness care for watching, but don't stop and interpret "I am free," then you're living in a memory of something that has gone before.

Bruce Lee

Enlightened action implies timeless action, which is always changing, never static. 

This is why it is foolish to say one is enlightened or that one knows, or has experienced truth. 

Such timeless action is never fixed. 

Edited by Faceless

This is what I love about Zen. There’s so much artistry and beauty in the simplicity in the way Zen is communicated when fully embodied. 

One thing that I think people like the Samurai warriors or martial artists that took up Zen practice actually really grasped is infinite intelligence. They see so much in such simple things, e.g. a punch, a kick, a look into their opponents eyes, the way they walk, etc. and ground themselves in that. 

Is intelligent action born of time(the mechanical motive of “i”), that conforms to an established/fixed patterns and routines (ZEN APPROACH) ...such as methods, systems, techniques, as a means(WAY)? 

Edited by Faceless

If a martial artist utilized that same psychological philosophy in the art of combat, wouldn’t they in so doing place upon themselves a tremendous limitation? 

@Faceless please don’t try to communicate absolute truth in language. Firstly it’s almost impossible to understand. Secondly, the moment you put the absolute (awareness) into words, it’s not it anymore. Try to speak in ‘relative truth’, although it’s not true ofcourse but then again no form of words can be true. So speak in a way were people can understand. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise ?

This is a pointing to the false in the false...

do you see it? 

6 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

‘relative truth’

Relative truth????

What relative truth? 

Perhaps instead this is a pointing to that which is correct or incorrect. 

Does one see the difference?:)

@Faceless As I already said, of course ‘relative truth’ is not true. It’s just a model. A model is something useful. It’s useful to speak in ‘relative truth’ otherwise nobody will understand you. If you’re talking from experience and you’re truly enlightened, then you won’t believe in what you write, but you’ll do it out of love for us (awareness) so we could understand you. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

11 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

If you’re talking from experience and you’re truly enlightened

Do you see the false in this?? 

Can one be enlightened?

As said already....

Enlightened action implies timeless action, which is always changing, never static. 

This is why it is foolish to say one is enlightened or that one knows, or has experienced truth. 

Such timeless action is never fixed. 

And what does experience have to do with that? 

Are you aware of these falsities? 

And to just be clear...no one can help “you” or “me”.

To depend on another for help is the very reason one is caught in there own self deception-confusion/suffering. 

I only write to perhaps bring about interest in learning about the self as it is...for me and anyone else to play the role of teacher is totally irresponsible, and contributes to the disorder of the conditioned consciousness. 

Edited by Faceless

Self learning without the conditioned motive of reward and punishment...

Does one see the significance in this? 

Perhaps then all of this is quite apparent??‍♂️

@Faceless How many times do I have to tell you that absolute truth cannot be spoken about in words. ? So it follows that nothing I write here can be true. So please stop looking for the truth in my words, because there aren’t any. Instead, try to understand what I’m trying to tell you. You have a brain, so hopefully you’re capable of that. Respond in a way we’re we can have a dialogue about enlightenment (and for the thousandth time, the writing will never be true) were you try to understand and respond appropriately. If you’re not capable of that, then this forum isn’t for you. 

Btw if you expect everybody to speak with what is accurate in your direct experience, then how do you go about your day. Can you buy something at a shop whilst speaking from your absolute experience?

5 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

How many times do I have to tell you that absolute truth cannot be spoken about in words

I’m not talking about absolute truth. 

6 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

So please stop looking for the truth in my words, because there aren’t any.

Cute ?

7 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Instead, try to understand what I’m trying to tell you

I understand what you are suggesting and I am bringing to attention the falsity in it. Are you aware of that? 

8 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Respond in a way we’re we can have a dialogue about enlightenment

There is no point in having a dialog about enlightenment...as that is to move within the limit of a pre-assumed falsity...perhaps explore into the questions posted last. 

10 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

and for the thousandth time, the writing will never be true) were you try to understand and respond appropriately. If you’re not capable of that, then this forum isn’t for you. 

You are the only one referring to communicating TRUTH/“enlightenment”..

I am bringing to attention that which can be understood/communicated.

What I am referring too can be communicated. As I am pointing to that of “the self” and it’s movement within time/thought. 

To speak about truth which is timesless has absolutely no point, as truth cannot be communicated. 

Now before responding perhaps re-read what was said before projecting the obvious incoherent response. Or don’t bother and continue to do what you what you want. 

It’s quite obvious when one has gone beyond that in which one has yet begun isn’t it:)

Edited by Faceless