The Don

Is Buddhism A Viable Solution To Happiness?

67 posts in this topic

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@The Don Of course

You've been told how many times. You are just not serious about doing the work.

I meditate every single day for 30 minutes.

And I also think deeply.

I have never tries LSD or Magic Mushrooms.

Me on the road less traveled.

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Barry J Not all teachings are a religion or dogmatic.

Some teachings are integral. Buddhism tends to be exclusionary.

@Leo Gura  the mind makes things exclusionary and dogmatic. The teaching points to the truth, you know this already so I don’t know why your framing in this sense. Anything can be made to be what you say, even non duality, way as no way etc. The truth is the truth regardless of the pointer. Don’t you agree?

It's a good start.  But at the end of the day you have to do the work yourself.  Nobody can do the work for you.  Only you can to do your own self-observation work -- and self-observation work is highly important for Enlightenment Work.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Is this search for happiness-satisfaction in “things” (of the mind) the same movement that causes unhappiness-dissatisfaction? 

When we look to the mind-thought(“things”) to fulfill our own sense of psychological contentment, isn’t that actually what causes psychological discontentment?

When the self looks to THOUGHT(i.e. A Buddhist Path-teaching) to attain and sustain a state of psychological security, isn’t that actually nourishing what reinforces that very psychological insecurity? 

For the self to seek security in thought is to sustain that very continuity of self, which is to strengthen the illusion of division between the experiencer and that which that “experiencer” experiences.

Edited by Faceless

@Joseph Maynor it is a complete system like any other system, if you understand it and drop your preconceptions; and finally, drop the system altogether

Edited by Barry J

5 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Is this search for happiness-satisfaction in “things” (of the mind) the same movement that causes unhappiness-dissatisfaction? 

When we look to the mind-thought(“things”) to fulfill our own sense of psychological contentment, isn’t that actually what causes psychological discontentment. 

When the self looks to THOUGHT(i.e. A Buddhist Path-teaching) to attain and sustain a state of psychological security, isn’t that actually nourishing what reinforces that very psychological insecurity? 

For the self to seek security in thought is to sustain that very continuity of self, which is to strengthen the illusion of division between the experiencer and that which that “experiencer” experiences. 

@Faceless  sure but it is easier to realise this with a quiet mind... 

16 minutes ago, Barry J said:

@Joseph Maynor it is a complete system like any other system, if you understand it and drop your preconceptions; and finally, drop the system altogether

What worries me is that it's too one-sized-fits-all.  Enlightenment is a solo journey at the end of the day.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

59 minutes ago, Barry J said:

the mind makes things exclusionary and dogmatic. The teaching points to the truth, you know this already so I don’t know why your framing in this sense. Anything can be made to be what you say, even non duality, way as no way etc. The truth is the truth regardless of the pointer. Don’t you agree?

That's overly simplistic and naive.

Not all teachings are the same. Not all pointers are the same.

Yes, the mind can corrupt even the bestest of teachings, but many teachings are already fundamentally corrupt and dogmatic to begin with, and do not encourage integral thinking.

Integral teachings are rare.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Barry J ??I’m not is opposition to Buddhism or any “thing”. 

I am only interested in sharing the significance of possibly bypassing all that which time/thought has put together as a means to freedom. 

For me personally there was a direct seeing into the whole nature and structure of time/thought as a means to FREEDOM.

There wasn’t this movement of progression, cultivation of time, or process of any kind. It was an instantaneous and holistic insight into the futility in looking to time/thought to end the burden in which time/thought had created...

I feel I am not in any way special, and that this can be seen by all. 

I am here to share with anyone interested:)

Edited by Faceless

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's overly simplistic and naive.

Not all teachings are the same. Not all pointers are the same.

Yes, the mind can corrupt even the bestest of teachings, but many teachings are already fundamentally corrupt and dogmatic to begin with, and do not encourage integral thinking.

Integral teachings are rare.

@Leo Gura  I see your point however Buddhism doesn’t fall into the category of corrupt and dogmatic. We are talking about Buddhism here, not a dangerous cult. 

3 minutes ago, Barry J said:

@Leo Gura  I see your point however Buddhism doesn’t fall into the category of corrupt and dogmatic. We are talking about Buddhism here, not a dangerous cult.

Of course is does! Buddhism can get very dogmatic and religious. Which is why we're having this conversation.

It's dangerous to assume that Buddhism is somehow pure and immune from dogma or corruption.

In fact, I would venture a bet that the majority of Buddhists are dogmatic and corrupt.

No one and no thing in this work can be trusted. All authority is delusion. Direct experience is the only source of Truth.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Faceless  I like what you are doing on this forum. You speak the truth and the message is very direct but I wonder if it can be grasped by everyone

Perhaps...:)

I don’t see why though. I would say it just take an interest. An interest in ourselves. 

Edited by Faceless

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course is does! Buddhism can get very dogmatic and religious. Which is why we're having this conversation.

It's dangerous to assume that Buddhism is somehow pure and immune from dogma or corruption.

In fact, I would venture a bet that the majority of Buddhists are dogmatic and corrupt.

No one and no thing in this work can be trusted. All authority is delusion. Direct experience is the only source of Truth.

@Leo Gura  I’m responding to you assertion that some teachings are fundamentally corrupt to begin with. The person/idea known as Buddha was not fundamentally corrupt. However, a corrupt person can take a teaching and make it corrupt. 

That Buddha guy said that direct experience is the only source of truth 2500 years before you did :)

Just now, Faceless said:

Perhaps...:)

I don’t see why though. I would say it just take  an interest. 

Only because crunching the numbers. If it were that easy everyone would be enlightened. The delusion runs so deep sometimes. Not sure, but I do know there is a place for your way of communication so thanks for being here 

Just look at the Buddhism reddit, and tell me that it's not full of dogmas and  delusions lol

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

6 minutes ago, Barry J said:

@Leo Gura  I’m responding to you assertion that some teachings are fundamentally corrupt to begin with. The person/idea known as Buddha was not fundamentally corrupt. However, a corrupt person can take a teaching and make it corrupt. 

That Buddha guy said that direct experience is the only source of truth 2500 years before you did :)

This reminds me of something a Muslim would say -- 'The person/idea known as Buddha was not fundamentally corrupt.'  Replace 'Buddha' with 'Muhammad'.  Rings Stage Blueish to me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

3 minutes ago, Shin said:

Just look at the Buddhism reddit, and tell me that it's not full of dogmas and  delusions lol

Of course, they are all in the dream seeing things through the dream, and expressing their delusions on a forum. 

8 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

This reminds me of something a Muslim would say -- 'The person/idea known as Buddha was not fundamentally corrupt.'  Replace 'Buddha' with 'Muhammad'.  Rings Stage Blueish to me.

@Joseph Maynor yes, and replace Buddha with spiral dynamics, Leo Gura, Joseph Maynor, Barry J, Ramana Marhashi...

Edited by Barry J