SageModeAustin

What's the longest you've meditated?

36 posts in this topic

I usually do 25 minutes in the morning and 25 minutes before bed. 

At the end of my 25 minute night session tonight, I thought of doing an hour and 40 minutes on top of it.  I didn't do it perfectly because my legs got sore, so I moved around a few times, but I pulled through somehow.  At one point I felt super present and it felt so good.

How about you guys?

Edited by SageModeAustin

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

1 hour and 10 mins of Strong Determination Sitting

But it doesnt matter how long it is, I get more peace from 10 mins of deep meditation than 1 hour of pure monkeymind. Better to just be regular about it than to try reach some Guinness Sage Record.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I sit there for 25 minutes a day, about twice that on the weekends because I have more time in the morning but I'm definitely not meditating the whole time, it's mostly just me reminding myself that I'm supposed to be meditating lol

1h and 50 minutes, in a vipassana retreat. The last 50 minutes were hell but when it was over, I was almost levitating. 

2hrs 30mins seated without moving for me, but it took 6 months to crawl it up to that. I don't necessarily go for "times" when I do strong determination sits, but it now takes that long for me to get to the crisis-point in my SD sits. I'd kind of rather have it happen sooner..... then I wouldn't have to sit for so long to get to that point.   xD

Maybe like 3 hours is the longest, but it's really situational and all. How long is mostly a matter of how long do you feel like meditating. Overdo it and you'll lose motivation for you were trying to force yourself too much, I often meditate more throughout the day than in sittings, even if it might lead to less consistent results. It's the way I can really motivate myself and it supports myself otherwise

Edited by YaNanNallari

@Outer   I used to be a lot more conscious of how long I'd sit, especially with strong determination sitting, but I recently recognized my ego getting more involved than I expected. I still check the time when I'm done, and use it as a rough metric, but you're right; there's a huge potential for the ego to insinuate itself into meditation, and while it may help with motivation, it's obviously counterproductive to have it be a major player.

@Outer Well yeah ego will always exist in everything you do.

You commenting on this post is an ego exercise. 

It's almost impossible to get rid of it.

Even 'enlightened' people have ego's.  The only difference is that they are hyper aware of its existence, to the point that it causes them little-to-no suffering.

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

I think one day I did 4 hours.  That was a long time.  But I was into it too, it wasn't forced.  It was during a time when I was really getting a lot of healing done by meditating a lot.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Outer

just because you don't say I, doesn't mean you are not saying it.

The real treasure lies in those 4 - 10 hour strong determination sits. 

@Outer

this I is a fiction I created (human body)

Who I actually am is everything, I am the universe, I am you. 

I am pure awareness, consciousness itself. 

The question is 

Why are you mad?

Edited by SageModeAustin

On 24/09/2018 at 2:27 AM, SageModeAustin said:

What's the longest you've meditated?

1 hour and a half but it means absolutely nothing. you're better off meditating 20 minutes everyday than meditating 2 hours in one go every week.

unborn Truth