Pernani

Is meditation making me a retarded speaker ?

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have trouble articulating words properly sometimes? I've noticed this in myself when I speak my mother tongue, I think it's okay when I speak English since i already have a strong english vocab (even stronger than my mother tongue) and I listen/read in eng all the time, but even if my mother tongue vocab is not that developped the shit I try to say sometimes just comes out as pure gibberish! Sometimes the words come out so fast u dont even knpw what was said, sometimes the prder of the words is all jumbled up, sometimes I feel like a damn toddler struggling to speak properly, what the fuck?

I dont remember having this problem until recently, maybe for a year now, and it seems it is gradually getting worse.

I meditate everyday (usually one hour, if not less) and I do some shamanic breathing weekly (nothing too intense). Anyone can relate to this? 

Hm...not really, since I started meditating/self-actualizing, it's actually the opposite for me. Words flow and sometimes I don't even know where they come from. Maybe take your time to speak and don't fear silences, if you do? Sometimes people say things they don't really want to say or struggle to speak because they're thinking too much about what they wanna say, and because they fear silence and being judged. But that might not be your problem at all, idk.

@Pernani No, if anything it makes me a better one. Regardless, being a non-native English speaker, I can tell you that if you spend most of your time speaking English, you are going to gradually lose your eloquence with your native tongue. You won't completely forget it, but you'll be worst at it for sure. This happened to me when I went back home after spending 6 years overseas. It took me about a year to go back to the level where I was once again competent in my native language. 

Edited by Misagh

There is a voice that doesn't use words. Listen! - Rumi

@Pernani No, meditation made me more calm overall, thus making my speaking skills more calm and controlled as well. 

It sounds like you're not meditating right. 

Edited by SageModeAustin

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

2 hours ago, Outer said:

A decrease in intelligence is a warning sign of a possible onset of schizophrenia.

Yeah.. No, but thanks for the warning

6 hours ago, Misagh said:

@Pernani No, if anything it makes me a better one. Regardless, being a non-native English speaker, I can tell you that if you spend most of your time speaking English, you are going to gradually lose your eloquence with your native tongue. You won't completely forget it, but you'll be worst at it for sure. This happened to me when I went back home after spending 6 years overseas. It took me about a year to go back to the level where I was once again competent in my native language. 

My skill level definitely went down in my native tongue, I just cant relate to it anymore, I love eng too much so maybe thats why.. But the shit that comes from my mouth is too weird sometimes that I feel its more than just skill level, maybe meditation is slowing down my thoughts and so words just dont come at the right time

4 hours ago, SageModeAustin said:

@Pernani No, meditation made me more calm overall, thus making my speaking skills more calm and controlled as well. 

It sounds like you're not meditating right. 

well I've had some interesting experiences with meditation and have definitely seen lots of benefits, recently tho I've just been experimenting with a lot of techniques

Just now, Pernani said:

well I've had some interesting experiences with meditation and have definitely seen lots of benefits, recently tho I've just been experimenting with a lot of techniques

I'm living and studying, before been working abroad for years so I have realised that my english skills are better than my native language skills and when I talk native I also wan't to use some english words in between and some native words seem weird, like they don't sound "correct". I believe It's just adapting to language you are the most exposed to and less frequently used one slowly worsens over time. How much of your thoughts are english and how much native? I find It like 70/30 so It's obvious that the 30% one will go even lower.

I noticed something similar in my speech too. But I wouldn't say it was because I was losing my ability to speak but I was more conscious of what I was saying and I demanded more from myself to speak better. If you are too concious of what you are saying it will hinder your ability to speak spontaneously. So I would recommend focusing on speaking spontaneously than speaking properly.

There is an exersice you can do that will make you confortable to speak spontaneously and Leo suggested something similar in this video. Basically you will define words as accurately as you can without really thinking about it. And you can use any kind of words it doesn't need to be something complicated. I have been doing this for a while and now I am more comfortable to speak without being worried I woudn't be able to get the point across.

1 hour ago, RabbitHole said:

I'm living and studying, before been working abroad for years so I have realised that my english skills are better than my native language skills and when I talk native I also wan't to use some english words in between and some native words seem weird, like they don't sound "correct". I believe It's just adapting to language you are the most exposed to and less frequently used one slowly worsens over time. How much of your thoughts are english and how much native? I find It like 70/30 so It's obvious that the 30% one will go even lower.

all my thoughts r in english lol or maybe 90% especially when im all alone and not talking to anyone

1 hour ago, Setty said:

I noticed something similar in my speech too. But I wouldn't say it was because I was losing my ability to speak but I was more conscious of what I was saying and I demanded more from myself to speak better. If you are too concious of what you are saying it will hinder your ability to speak spontaneously. So I would recommend focusing on speaking spontaneously than speaking properly.

There is an exersice you can do that will make you confortable to speak spontaneously and Leo suggested something similar in this video. Basically you will define words as accurately as you can without really thinking about it. And you can use any kind of words it doesn't need to be something complicated. I have been doing this for a while and now I am more comfortable to speak without being worried I woudn't be able to get the point across.

thanks man, definitely gonna try this

1 minute ago, Pernani said:

all my thoughts r in english lol or maybe 90% especially when im all alone and not talking to anyon

I am also having a problem with thinking in too much english. Now I have a habit that when I hear something interesting in english I immediately try to articulate it in my own language so it would have the same impact it had in english. Thanks to that now when I have a conversation and I think up something in english I can pretty comfortably translate it into my own language without much of a hindrance.

It is a stage. Don't worry about language. Language in itself is built in a certain way to praise duality. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.